Trancend releases High durability M.2 SSD adopting SLC mode with 100.000 rewrites

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So then, enterprise and professional market.
    For mere average users, not so appealing.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    100,000 rewrites. It will be obsolete with faster, better, cheaper tech way before its durability matters.

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Don't underestimate high usage applications. The speed and specially the price won't be appealing to common users, but for enterprise they'll sure fit right in.
    Plus, I think its smart to make SSDs with some kind of SLC cache, as we go into QLC and beyond, it would be ideal to have a 128Gb SLC chip to cache the most used files on a 1Tb or over QLC drive. Would make it's life allot longer and mitigate degredation. We need this tech, hybrid designs might be the future!

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    A very active R/W database (like a forum with thousands or tens of thousands of users) reads and writes constantly to the storage, 24/7 if it's a global forum.

All kind of business software might also change data continuously (for example, price trackers which constantly scan prices of hundreds or thousands of shops and adjust information and prices all the time) write like mad to the DB...

Some software that is related to circulation of items (logistics) constantly updates the state of every item... and there may be millions of items tracked.

---
    Obviously this is an Enterprise drive, nobody said anything else.

But for that purpose it's great !

6. longest

longest Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus
    "A very active R/W database (like a forum with thousands or tens of thousands of users) reads and writes constantly to the storage, 24/7 if it's a global forum.

All kind of business software might also change data continuously (for example, price trackers which constantly scan prices of hundreds or thousands of shops and adjust information and prices all the time) write like mad to the DB..." this data is added, not replaced.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    looks like these would be great for a caching drive.

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I find this drive kinda pointless, for average Joe, no point. SLC obviously won't have the capacity/price ratio.

It'll be reliable but I'm sure everyone has their important data backed up more than once already so I don't see the attraction here.

I would be interested to hear wheather HH would consider using something like this for professional use.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  9. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Same thought here. I'm sick of running multiple drives also. I long for the day when 4+TB drives are decently priced. Currently have one 2TB, and two 1TB drives to handle my storage needs.

I also wish that laptop OEM's would start shipping with larger SSD's for reasonable prices. I was pricing out a new laptop and the jump from 256 to 512GB was an additional 140 bucks. Sure you can drop in your own aftermarket drive, but laptop storage pricing always struck me as especially scummy.

10. Ridiric

Ridiric Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    If you are in the market for a 4TB SSD and have the right connection for it, apparently amazon (i think it was amazon anyways) just offloaded a ton of 2.5" 4TB intel NVMe drives, they are currently going for about $500 USD on ebay, not sure what type of connection they use, I'm guessing SAS or U2 or something like that.

11. Rrekt

Rrekt New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 SLI
    Good drive to put windows search index on.