1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traditions, special have-to for New Year's Eve?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Dec 29, 2018.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Hello, gents,
    Just wanted to ask what are the traditions. have-to things for the last day of the year?
    For me, in my motherland, the must-to-do was carbid explosions made with DIY tools and going to relatives, close friends and distant family singing songs and wishing them good luck and good health. As a "reward" you are given money -sometimes- but mostly huge quantities of food and booze. And I found lately the in Netherland Carbidschieten is a huge thing...and I was told that this is a Slavic tradition...and is not.
    And it was the only day when all alike when we all were allowed to drink until collapsing and no one was pissed about it because almost no one was sober.
    What are your traditions, could you share?
    Cheers!

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well, you can guess one of traditions here in Russia.

Since we had no Christmas in USSR (and anyway orthodox Christmas is after the New Year) New Year was/is a family celebration.
    And traditions are:
    - to get an fir-tree and decorate it;
    - to buy presents;
    - to cook food so that the table is crammed;
    - to start a dinner with the champagne and to wish something while drinking;
    - to continue a dinner with any other alcohol;
    - to go outside to drink with neighbors and to start fireworks and snow ball battles.

Repo Man likes this.
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Up here in Scotland for many many many years there was a massive tradition of the first-foot, with involved of a lump of coal and a tall person with black hair, and it was usually me as a young lanky kid with black hair, so a few min's before midnight i would go stand outside the house then when the bells struck at midnight i would knock the door and be the first-foot, basically the first person to cross into the house for that new year, but it sort of petered out as the old guard shuffled off this mortal coil through the early 80s, i think my wee dad was the last to do it but when he went noone else in the family really bothered with it, now we just wish everyone a good new year when the bell's go and the same when you go to visit on new years day....although the only part of the tradition that we still do every year is the new year day Steak pie family dinner, i will be picking these up tomorrow. MmmMMMmMM

But i always wonder if it is still a popular tradition in other parts of the world who have their own versions of it.

mbk1969 likes this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Hey, we also have these too!

mbk1969 likes this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Nice and cool.

And in families with kids there is that tradition of visit of Ded Moroz (Father Frost ??) and his granddaughter Snegurochka
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The roles usually played by parents, friends or by actual artists. Ded Moroz gives kids their gifts (prepared by parents) from his magic suck. And to help old Ded Moroz to not mix the gifts kids write a letters to Ded Moroz about their good behaviour and about wanted gifts.

PS As for collapsed drunken people, we are never pissed off by them (so far). Only drunken bullies get that.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970 Mini, KD55XD800
    I've heard of first footing, it sometimes gets mentioned in casual conversation around new years time, think it was my dad that first mentioned it when he appeared a bit after new year a while back. Never heard of the whole coal thing though.

As for mine and my friends new years, it usually revolves around getting real drunk

XP-200 likes this.
  7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Here in America everyone just gets totally drunk and makes resolutions they will never keep.