TP-Link Archer AX6000

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by pegasus1, Jan 28, 2020.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Does anybody have one? I need a faster transfer speed in my house so thought it match this up with the WiFi 6 capabilities of my MOBO. My internet is slow due to the location and tech available but the current 'n' capabilities of my free router are shocking slow.

Does anybody have any experience with this make/model before i pull the trigger.

Thanks

2. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi there.

I only owned the 1200 or 1300 model and gave it to my father-in-law. It works great since 5 or 6 years, we only rebooted it when we changed the configuration, but not because of hangs or else. It is rock solid and "fire and forget". Bandwidth on 2.4 and 5ghz is good, but I didn't test bandwidth sooo much. Signal strength is good, too, on both frequencies. It doesn't have wifi6, so I cannot tell you anything there. Configuration is easy to do for a basic setup, but there are advanced options in there for all your needs (vlan, mac filter and so on).

I would give it a go if it is as good as my "small" one.

EDIT: Please keep in mind the higher the frequency, the higher the throughput but less range. For optimal speed you must be close to the router.

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    If the option for open source firmware is important to you it's not optimal. Routers with Broadcom chips will have limited wifi support.

anticupidon likes this.
  4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    I bought one and plumbed it in, Networking isnt really a strong point in my hardware knowledge but it works flawlessly, took about 10 mins to set up. Its in my work flat and the broadband country wide is poor compared to my UK home but for streaming around my flat in 4k its great. Everything hooked up quickly including my work and personal phones, Tablet, TVs various rigs, PS4 and my gaming rig. Nobody else is broadcasting a 5ghz signal so interference is non-existent.

5. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Happy to hear it worked out for you. :)

Just one thing about 5ghz. I was talking about coverage / range in general, not about interference. 5ghz is easier to interfere, but there are more channels to choose from, so no real issue. But if you want coverage in your garden's shed (=where 5ghz may be past its range limits), you should leave 2.4ghz enabled.

Have fun! ;)

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Yeah i get how frequencies work, over 20+ years in the Mil and i'm all over HF, VHF and UHF, their advantages and disadvantages etc. There's not a single 5ghz source in my area, the ISP to the block of apartments gives out free Routers, they are cheap, only use WiFi 4 and 2.4ghz so me being WiFi 6 and 5ghz helps a lot, also its not a massive apartment (my house is a different matter though) and the internal walls are plasterboard and thin so 5ghz signals are not impeded.

The main reason for getting the router was both the increased in speed WiFi 6 brings over WiFi 4, i can stream my 4k games recording direct from the manvcave to my big telly in the living room, plus the amount of congestion on the 2.4ghz range in my area.

Im happy so i might get another for my house, all the TVs can run 5ghz and WiFi 5 plus all the other stuff that runs on the WiFi. The outlying rooms, garden and loft are all covered by boosters so its just the advantages that WiFi 6 brings that im looking at.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    386SX likes this.