Total Lunar Eclipse 'blood moon' Apr 15, 2014

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Apr 14, 2014.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Same here.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    haha^ cool

4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I took a few photos last night. Used my old Canon Digital Rebel XT DSLR with a 75-300mm lens mounted to a heavy duty tripod and a remote shutter release.

This was about a 20 second exposure. You can see how much the earth turned while taking the photo by that bright blue star which i believe is Spica. The photo turned out pretty good considering I live about a half mile from the ocean and there's always a ton of moisture in the air.

[​IMG]

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    very nice, I remember that evening the moon was really close to earth, was massive in the sky.

@phaze, nice .gif!
    many folks mod their dslr cameras for night shots, I used to be into it and ancient astrology books, like the constellation-mythology-theology connection.
    in Scotland we get Taurus every night and the hunter and many others.
    not the Southern Cross though. :(

6. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Yeah what f-stop and shutter speed are you using to get a still image of the moon? I couldn't find a good balance where the exposure was good that didn't show the moon smeared across the sky a little.

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    at the time ( a few years back) I had canon 1000d and I owned a couple nice canon lenses a wide view and a zoom.
    anyways for the blood moon you had to give it extra exposure or something to pick up the color I can't remember all the terms now, here's a shot out my front door with tripod soon after i first got cam :)

[​IMG]

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I have some EXCELLENT moon pictures taken a while ago using a professional Nikon D700 DSLR full frame camera and using a 300mm f2.8 lens, I got some brilliant pictures of the moon.

The trick is taking multiple photos using different shutter speeds, manually of course. Think of it as an experiment. You will get some excellent and sharp shots but you must use a sturdy tripod and set the camera timer to 30 seconds or more in order to gather light and give you a sharp photo.

Over the weekend I'll post the moon pictures I took, all untouched, nothing edited. What you see is what I took straight from the camera.

9. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I've read about those mods as well. people are quite innovative. my camera is only running modded firmware. no physical tweaks.

I just realized that i misspoke regarding exposure length.

My settings are:

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT
    Lens: Canon 75-300mm
    Focal Length: 300mm
    Exposure: 4.0 sec; f/5.6; ISO 100
    Normal Program; Partial Metering
    Flash: Did not fire
    Resolution: Raw+L

I used a heavy duty tripod and remote shutter release as to not disturb the camera.

10. meganlee

meganlee Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 3000
    I unfortunately only heard about the red moon like 14 hrs after it happened :( Oh well, in a few years I'll hopefully hear about it ahead of time.

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    As promised, here is my moon pic, taken with a D90, 300mm f2.8 lens, tripod and timer set to 30 seconds and longer to gather light.

[​IMG]

12. squarestar

squarestar New Member

GPU:
    8GB
    nice~ totally missed that.