Toshiba won't turn on.

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by I_Are_Smart, Mar 2, 2006.

1. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    Hi, I bought my sister a Toshiba Satellite M70 - SR2. She was just cruising around some sites [I have no idea what sites] when it turned off. Now it does not turn back on. I've tried both on battery and plugging it into the wall. Any ideas what could be wrong? Is there anything little that could be causing it, like when I first bought my Diskman and found out the hold button was on [took a few minutes to figure that one out =P], lol

It's still under warranty but I was wondering if there was anything small that could be done... otherwise I have to bring it back to the store... and that's effort =)

2. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Hmm. It won't turn on with either battery or wall power. That is indeed an interesting problem. Mate, I'm afraid that I don't really have anything else to add. It is probably best to take it back to the store and retain your warranty then to open the thing up and try to take a peek inside of it.

If anybody else has had an issue like this, I'd be really interested to hear how you resolved it. Else, I think it wuold save time, and maybe even money, to just go back to the store and get it exchanged.

3. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    Thanks, the only thing stopping me is my laziness and the fact that this is just... weird... I wouldn't mind knowing what's going on. Both lights [Battery and Outlet] come on when I plug it into the wall, and both are green. Seems normal to me. =\

4. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

I take it you've tried mashing on the button? Kind of a childish approach I know, but I'm wondering if somehow the contact for that button is bad.

5. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    Well, no hammer to it -yet-... but I've tried hitting it rather forcefully...

6. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Have you tried plugging the laptop into the mains with the battery physically removed from the unit, and then trying to power it up?

7. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    Nope, that wouldn't somehow void most warranties would it?

Edit:

Well, I tried it anyways [I don't see how that could void a warranty, seeing as you can usually buy two batteries and swap em] and it didn't help =\ Thanks though

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  8. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    So you tried powering on with no battery installed at all....
    If it still doesn't work you may be looking at a board failure (i take it no fans etc kick in when you hit the power)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  9. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    That is correct... though it's tough to tell because I didn't really use it [only to install some programs for her] but I don't hear anything at all.

10. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Well, the green lights mean there is power from the wall to the batttery. Out of interest what lights do you get when it is plugged in without the battery the unit?

11. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    None come on. Don't worry, I remembered to put the battery back in ;)

12. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I'm not sure you understood me, to be sure i mean take the battery out - put it to one side

Then plug the laptop into the wall - with no battery installed

Then what

(sorry if im sounding overbearing - just checking you have done what i suggest :) )

13. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    Ah, I thought you meant put the battery back in and what do I get with no battery in ;)

I was getting only the outlet light on... I'll redo it just to make sure ;)

14. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I mean take the battery out completly - put it to one side, then with it out (with a hole in the laptop) plug the laptop into the mains and switch on

15. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    Yep I tried that the first time =) Same thing happened as usual.

16. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    looks like an RMA is in order

17. Kylote

Kylote Member

GPU:
    ATi 256MB X800 XT (PCI-express)
    I had a Satellite where the light indicators turned on but nothing came up. Didn't sound like the hard drive was being accessed or any fans were coming on. Turned out the be the motherboard, sadly just after my warranty expired, so it became a large paperweight. The Toshiba motherboards are expensive too, so if that is the problem, definitely take it to them to have it fixed before you put it off and the warranty expires.

18. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    Thanks guys, bringing it in tommorow, we've had it for less than a month so it should be smooth sailing =)

19. I_Are_Smart

I_Are_Smart Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 Pro AIW
    I tried it again this morning... still nothing...

I drove it to Staples, brought it to the counter, tried it one more time and... it turned on.

=\

20. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    still get it chaecked out its worth using the waranty to full potential