Toshiba victim of Ransomware - halts production of NAND Flash

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    I once saw video about chip production and to my great surprise saw and heard (from company representative) that they use Windows on production machines.WTF Windows????

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yes, while factories limited to internal network to prevent such attack, we can't exclude fact that ransomware could be brought inside by outside storage.

I hope they are ok.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    How many company being hacked because an employe link this network to internet to play condycrush or other bullshit... lol

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Most companies use windows...so.........

7. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Sounds like another corporation lie so that companies can hike the prices of their products once again and screw over the consumers. At first when i heard about the DRAM shortage putting prices up, i thought nothing of it and accepted it. Then i noticed companies hiking the prices of every other component regardless of whether it has DRAM in it or not. Gaming Mice and Mechanical Keyboards, Power Supply Units etc. The manufacturers are taking us for mugs. Don't buy into their bullshit, wait it out. If no one buys their over-priced wares they'll be forced to lower prices back down to reasonable amounts again.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    Step 1 - Attack your own network.
    Step 2 - Shut down factory limiting global supply.
    Step 3 - Raise price of your products already in the market due to shortage.
    Step 4 - Report success to board and shareholders.

When there are only a few large players worldwide, they can manipulate things such as this.

Keitosha and Amx85 like this.
  9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070

Step 1 should be pretend the network is hacked, as they don't want to do any real damage that costs money.

10. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    In that environment i would expect that front end consist of UNIX/linux and back-end RTOS. I don't know but simply Windows doesn't inspire confidence of precision and reliability needed for that kind of a job. I can already imagine BSOD in the middle of laser exposure :):):)

11. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    +10 though the same xD

12. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Unlikely the actual production machines are affected. They could probably still spit out production runs without much difficulty.
    But when all your inventory, invoices, production files, schedules, emails, etc are locked behind a ransomware encryption, any company grinds to a halt.
    A small engineering company I worked for got hit with ransomware because someone opened the wrong attachment on a email. Hundreds of manhours of work were lost, thousands of hours worth drawings because one of the backup servers got infected and we had to perform a full stock take of our inventory.
    It probably would have been cheaper to pay the ransom.
    Also it's not uncommon for production machines to operate off windows OS's. Win XP is still widely used across the industry because that's what the software is certified on.

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    What a load of TOSH.

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You can wear tin-foil hat all you want, but Toshiba is not in financial nor political position to make such move.
    They just make favor for their main competitor = Samsung.

15. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Hey! Look!....some CEO´s dog got sick........let´s rise memory price again!!!......Any excuse is valid for that these days :(