Toshiba RD400 no data after power it off

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by anticupidon, Nov 12, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Hello fellow gurus.
    Wanted to report a know situation, my NVMe drive, the Toshiba RD400 holds no data ATM, after I power it off for many months.
    Unplugged it from my last computer, and was kept in a static bag in no humidity storage. Today, I power it on, no data was shown, and no partition table.
    Now, that drive contained only a dual boot configuration, with no real important data, I have all backed up on a hard drive 4 TB HGST.
    Well, was "nice" to found this out, I knew it, but simply forget about it.
    Power from time to time, them SSDS, folks!

PS. as a curiosity, I will go forensic on that drive, just for the kicks. will report back.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    toyo likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    SSD's do need occasional power to retain data, but this seems like an actual defect.

3. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    My 2 TB cheapo Crucial Sata stood just over an year unpowered - no problems.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    Update:
    Booted my half finished computer with the NVMe drive and another HDD with Parted Magic.
    Guymager allows you to acquire an exact image of any drive. So I imaged the NVMe drive, image was dumped to the spare HDD.
    Then, with QPhotorec, I managed to extract all the data from the image. QPhotorec allows to mount an .DD or .raw image.
    The data was also recovered on the HDD,the sorted with an script made with Auto-IT.
    Yeah, once you have the image, you can use whatever recovery software you want, provided that can use mount and recover from an drive image.
    Still, I wonder how this was possible, the drive was powered off no more than 6 months.
    Meh, although I recovered the data, I had backups, it was more for the exercise, to see if it is possible and steps required.
    Happy weekend ahead, and some beers to get along.
    Cheers!