Toshiba L655 overheating

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Bouzoo, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Bouzoo

Bouzoo Member

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    So I bought a Toshiba Satellite L655-1K9 about two years ago and I never bothered to check to temperatures in it, did frequently opened it and clean everything and stuff, until recently when I was, well, blown away. In idle, the processor is working at 45-50C and while playing games it goes all the way to 85C which is way to much. For example, my 4 year old L500-128 is in idle working at 30-ish and while playing never gets past 60C. I clean that one frequently to. So I don't know what the hell's going on, I mean I didn't broke anything when I opened it, the vent is properly connected and there is no dust inside so I thought maybe someone can help, would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    I have i7 that idles at around 50C with ambiet floating around 25C.

Note, that modern CPUs have 100C max temp. Moreover, I noticed that ambiet temp is quite crucial factor, when ambiet is around 20C, cpu idles at about 45-47C.

Hope that helps.

3. Bouzoo

Bouzoo Member

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    Well I've put them yesterday on the same desk, was about 25C in the room and still the result was the same, L500 at 34 and L655 at 50. I know that ambient temp is important but I find it a little strange that the difference is that big in the same room. I mean shouldn't the L655 be working at lower temps? It's got a i5-480m which is based on 32 nm litography while the L500's Core 2 Duo T6500 is based on 45 nm.

4. Bouzoo

Bouzoo Member

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    And I've forgot to mention it's not only the CPU but, well, everything. Even the HDD is at working at 50-ish at L655 while the L500's is at 40.

5. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    HDD is abit too hot, mine is running at 35-37C, however its 5400 rpm.
    And yes, 32nm should be cooler then 45nm, while in same room, not under load.
    Did you check your battery? How hot is it when your plugged in?

6. Bouzoo

Bouzoo Member

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    Can't see it in BIOS and can't find a decent program to check it. Any suggestions?
    And did open the laptop again and played with it and got some more decent temps, here's the picture

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    Yeah, thats looks almost like the temps I get.
    Played with it, i.e. done some more dust cleaning?

8. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Those temperatures are pretty normal for a laptop. There's not much you can do short of physically modifying the heatpipe cooling system.

Check your power options in Windows, setting you minimum processor frequency to something low (<10%) can help.

9. Bouzoo

Bouzoo Member

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    Yeah, played a little, seems it worked a little.

well this are temps from my L500, they don't show the GPu temp for some reason but i want to point out the CPU temp which is way lower the L655. It even goes sometimes to 29C.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    @ 20% CPU Load my 1 yr old Toshiba C855-S5206 w/ i3 2370M (2.4Ghz) runs @ 53-58C So I would say you are OK. It's been running at those temps since day one.

11. solshine

solshine Guest

GPU:
    160 g
    Hi everyone, I got a toshiba satellite last year, and it used to overheat all the time and I never ever care about until last two days, I get turn it off after working on it, and then when I trying to turn it off again it just did not turn on, I took it to a technic guy, and he told me the motherboard is dammaged, I am not sure about it, plus he did not even open the lap to see what's wrong, he gave me a diagnoistic like in one hour! I did think checking it take more time, do you have any idea what could it be?, another thing, when I plugged the charger in the laptop it seems to be charging, even then the battery is off the lap??

Any suggestion? I do hope it not the motherboard!!