Torchlight II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by k1net1cs, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

I 100% totally disagree with you here. I respect your opinions but I just don't share them, in the slightest. D3 IS everything the Diablo series has been, to say otherwise is nonsense in my opinion. I get the feeling that many people that make these sorts of claims are letting their feelings about Blizzard's more recent business practices cloud their judgement. D3 plays nothing like WoW, not even a tiny bit. It plays just like, well, DIABLO!!! If anything, Torchlight is more akin to WoW with all the insane color schemes and artwork that series has. But so what?

Hate on a game because you don't agree with how the company runs it's business? That makes the game bad? And your last bit is just a simple game mechanic that just so happens to be used in nearly every other game of this nature, if it's even an offered feature at all. Maybe you'd rather they had stuck with the grossly limited stash in D2? Hmmm, what else did you intend to spend your abundance of gold on? I don't know about you, but in D2 I accumulated more gold than I could ever carry. Just seems like a silly thing to mention, in my opinion.

Regardless, I'll be getting both games because I know I already love D3 and I'm very confident I'll enjoy T2.

2. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
  3. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
  4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    So what?
    Your comparison of Torchlight assets and WoW's is exactly the 'so what' factor here, since it's the gameplay I was stressing about.

The moment D3 required constant connection just to play it, it already stepped into WoW's realm.
    The only differences are that you can't play with more than 3 other people in a session and that it's not set in a persistent world.
    The random loots?
    The senseless (fetch/kill/deliver) quests?
    The limited number of characters per account?
    All the same.

Oh, the subscription model?
    Most MMORPGs these days are F2P, but relies on micro-transactions.
    Well, that's exactly where D3's RMAH coming in.

Most MMORPGs are simply multiplayer ARPGs with a persistent world that requires constant connection to play.
    Oh, and don't forget the auction house feature like most have too.

Ever been into a restaurant where the food is good but the service sucks?
    Around the same.

Like I said, the game itself isn't that bad, but when D3 has become centered around its AH which caused Blizzard to implement an MMO-like DRM, it's no longer Diablo but in name.
    Would you react the same if Blizzard didn't name it Diablo III?
    And really, getting excited over an (upcoming) update that adds an ability to create sockets?
    If D3 really is Diablo not just in name then it'd have sockets since the beginning, and they had developed it for years.

Moreover, because it's not possible to mod D3, players are forced to either wait for a (presumably) paid expansion, or moving on to other games.
    Just look at the D3 thread now; f*cking ghost town only after two months for a supposedly the better ARPG, and mostly revolves around dismal drops and item quality.
    (both are easily remedied with mods on TL, like adding higher tiers of equipments and/or sets)

While I can simply install a mod to add more stash in TL?
    See where I'm going here?

'Silly' is just another word for you not really getting the point.

Probably getting too distracted with that Armed Heroes Online thing. =b

@MrH
    Of all that 27 boss battles somehow I'm pretty sure there'd be some other unused boss assets accessible only via mods, like Leviathan in TL.

And 85 sets? Daymn.
    While it's for 4 classes instead of just 3, that still means more sets per class, 21 at the minimum, which is already 10 more.
    Wonder for which class is that last 1 for...an ultimate universal set, maybe?

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guys! I missed the sale of Torchlight 1 in the summer sale, I tried the demo a few days ago and was quite delighted by it and want to purchase it. Is pre-ordering T2 for $20 and getting a complimentary copy of 1 worth it? I've no idea about T2, is it a MMO? I came across a lot of confusing posts, some say it is one step towards an eventual MMO but has co-op (yay!) while some say it is an outright MMO. So what is it really? I've zero interest in MMOs and F2Ps .. so I won't even consider pre-ordering if it is so. Should I get the pre-order with the first game complementary or wait for the winter sale or the hopeful weekend madness whenever that would be?

Oh and will the Steam version contain any additional DRM? I know the copy bought directly from Runic or its publisher has an account+one time activation, any word about the steam version? I'm not a fan of creating a hundred accounts for a hundred games!

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    ^ No it's not an MMO, it's and action click rpg, similar to Diablo (it even has some of the guys who worked on the original Diablos iirc). TL1 is was fun but sp only, nevertheless good to burn time. TL2 will have more of the same and mp, imo it's worth the money.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thank goodness it's not a MMO! Any idea about the DRM/account making?

8. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    No it's not an MMO just a good old fashioned action rpg, but I believe T2 has co-op multi player like Diablo 3.
    The first game was ok and the level up system was like Diablo 2 which people liked, but the game got very repetitive after a while with the same environments being used over and over and not much variation in the monster types either.
    T2 looks like it's much better from what I've read about it as they have listened to peoples gripes from the first game.
    I don't think there is any nasty DRM like D3.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm not sure, but I do think that the Steam version will have a diffrent DRM than other versions.

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They do plan on creating a Torchlight MMO, and the first game was actually just a 'simple' test run that inadvertently turned into an underdog.
    Keep in mind that the funding for Runic ever since the first game is from Perfect World Entertainment (IIRC).
    Any MMO players worth its salt would know Perfect World, even if it's just from a simple hearsay.

As for multiplaying, there's also an option for LAN co-op so it's easier to set up a session where a bunch of people playing in the same place without having to worry about latency (unless the router's sh!tty, of course).
    Regarding the account, you have to register over at Runic's site, since it's them who run the server.
    But if you don't plan to multiplay over the Internet, just with LAN, you can skip registering there.

@villa_youth
    If you use Champions Mod, you'll get more varied enemies (with a few extra enemy models), and champions from all monster types with random passives & actives, just like D2.
    The maps are also better populated.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Great, so I don't *have* to create an account? Unless I happen to play with one of you folks I don't think I'll be playing MP .. nobody else I know would be buying T2. It's just T1 with a lot more of what made it great, then? Sounds good!

12. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's about it.

...well, of course, unless the policy changes, but I doubt it.
    What Runic needs is not trying to aggravate its base players more than an unspecified release date aside from 'Summer'. =b

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why would you not? I've met a lot of great people through online games and i love playing with them.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Depends on the community and the loot drop system, won't be fun if people hoard the drops!

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Seems no one is interested :p Game is releasing on the 20th, has Workshop support for the Steam version and will have free DLCs.

16. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I beg to differ; OP was just too busy blowing up robots in Shoot Many Robots. :p

17. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Hehe, yeah same here. In fact, that's how I met my girlfriend.

Well, I'm sure a lot of people are interested or will be at some point. The problem is, for me at least, the timing of it's release. For me, GW2 is taking up all of my gaming time and then Borderlands 2 is coming on the 18th. So for me, T2 is going to be on the waiting list for a while. I will be getting it at some point but I'm in no hurry right now. Between GW2 and B2 I'll have plenty of gaming to do.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm sure Borderlands 2 & Black Mesa are occupying people at the moment but Torchlight 2 has a preload available as well!

19. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Excellent. Been a long time coming, but haven't forgotten about this.
    Preloading now.:banana:

20. Kodiak33

Kodiak33 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti