Top Gear thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by morbias, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    This, I didn't bother watching it and going by all the reviews and talk about the show having the worst viewing figures ever says a lot if you ask me. Top gear is dead to me, I'm waiting for the grand tour (not sure about that name myself lol) to start on amazon later this year.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Grand Tour
    Top Gear

Coincidence? Unlikely with Clarkson lol

3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Yikes, I have been a huge fan for all 22 seasons and specials but this first episode of season 23 was hard to watch. I will keep this short because I am tired right now, but I just didn't sense any feeling in it all. Like it was all super scripted and phoned in and then the pieces were glued together and loud, epic-ish music was supposed to make me like it.

I actually enjoyed the after show called Extra Gear more than the new Top Gear. The parts with Chris Harris and Sabine were nice and I hope they do more content like that. Can't wait for the new show to blow my socks off!

4. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rx480
    Last night was a great improvement in watchability . I actually giggled at a few scenes .

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Yeap, very good episode, although they really need to cut down the studio chat bit, that is way tooooo long, but overal it is coming along nicely, Button and Sharleen doing the dishes arguing about who was to blame lol......

And LeBlancs dead pan face dig at Eddie Jordan......."You know how to push a button right". lol

Yeap a bit more tweaking to do but they are getting their, time can only make it better.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I don't think I must have ever watched TG for it's content, only for the three stooges and their comedy stupidity, because I don't have any interest in watching it now, even if they got rid of Evans

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Utterly forgot it was on.

8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    While Matt LeBlanc has grown on me, Evans annoys me more and more. I guess I'm dropping TG, if they replace Evans I might give it another chance.

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    If they drop Evans I 'might' watch it for the first time since it started again

Can't stand that d1ck, he should have left the original TFI Friday as his last TV thing, and disappeared

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yep, get rid of Evans. They've gone from three good hosts to one good one and one bad one, and that 'one' good person people were never expecting to be Le Blanc. In effect they've gone from three to zero, since the Le Blanc 'good' cancels out Evans 'bad', or should I say, his 'utter ****eness as a host'. If they replaced Evans with another good host, there would be two good hosts. No matter how much you multiple zero you still end with zero, so the show would literally be infinitely better if they ditch Evans :D.

The show last night made it evident the need for a decent third host, having essentially random people take that position will leave you thinking week to week why, why, damn he's/she's good, oh crap they've got some other random... it did kind of work last night in a way, but it wouldn't be sustainable.

11. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Fixed that for you :D

12. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280
    Totally agree. Can they bring the two guys from Extra Gear to the main show(kinda liked Rory's performance last week)?

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Yeah could possibly be a third host, he seems like he would be flexible enough to be tentatively sarcastic as a third host. The prime host needs push what is acceptable without crossing the line. Clarkson did they brilliant 95 percent of the time, just it was that 5 percent...

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    and it was that 5% that made the show what it was, let's remember that 5% would have been scripted, edited and approved just as much as the other 95% but every now and then they still pushed that 5% through. I am guessing with this new show they won't dare risk it and in many ways the show will lose something because of it.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just watching the 3rd episode, Chris Harris, yes! Great to see him on the show, let's hope we'll see more of him.

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Still not watched any of the new series, never much enjoyed the testing section of it, usually went for the adventure stuff (Vietnam was one of my favourites, the stuff that felt really down to earth even though they likely had a 30 person support staff). Not sure how this will hold up, or even grand tour.

17. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    No interest. Simply slapping the Top Gear name on it doesn't make it Top Gear.

Captain Slow cannot be replaced.
    Hamster cannot be replaced.
    Jezza cannot be replaced.
    --------------------------------------
    The Stig can be replaced.
    The help who cannot cook steaks can be replaced.

18. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    HA! That's a bold new way of thinking!

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    They nailed the format this week with those extra hosts.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I wouldn't say they nailed it. What they had was more of a car review show, probably more along the lines of Fifth Gear. Modern Top Gear is an entertainment show based around cars, not a car show.

It will end up like old Top Gear, the one that nobody out of UK probably ever saw (including us here).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChXBS3mxbQo

Jeremy Clarkson (check out the hair) test driving a Ferrari on the old Top Gear.