Too risky?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Firefox_1, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Well, finally decided to try and overclock this comp since I had that in mind from the beginning. Coretemp/RivaTuner temps at stock and 1.2v were about 46c idle, 53c load, seemed a little high from what I've read, but no matter how many times I re-applied some AS5, etc, it wouldn't change, so I gave up on trying to get it cooler. Experimenting at 3.2GHz right now, 1600Mhz FSB, 1.3v, and temps are about 6-8c higher. Idling at 52c, and the highest, (and average) temperature it reached after an 8 hour Orthos run was 62c.

Judging from all the C2D posts I've read, 60c seems to be th 'safe', but not very desireable limit, so I'm wondering, is 62c too risky to be running at on load?

BTW: Tried overclocking the RAM, had it at 925Mhz at 5-5-5-15 2T, 1850MHz FSB, (1:1), 2.2v, and it dropped about 3000 points off of my 3DMark06 score. Also, according to the SPD reading from CPU-Z, it can run at 1000MHz at 5-5-5-15 2T, though every time I try this it won't even POST, went up to 2.3v, didn't feel safe going above that. Any ideas what's going on? :/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    it should be alright, but you might want to cool that a little bit more just to be safe....

3. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Well, already shilled out $90 AUD for the Zalman 9700, would love to go water, but no cash at the moment. :/

4. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you might be able to get the temps down if you reseat your cpu.its a pita but sometimes the second or third times the charm lol.seriously you may need to reseat/reapply the thermal paste.
    good luck and thats a solid processor at that speed/voltage.just need to get the temps down and youll be golden.

5. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Yeah, tried reseating the 9700 and re-applying the AS5 about 20 or so times, ( I mean it). Never seems to make a difference, pretty damn annoying. ><

I don't know if it the 26-30c ambient temp or the fact that the passive NB and SB coolers which get insanely hot are right next to the CPU HSF, but something just doesn't want this CPU to cool down. :(

6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    argh thats a real drag then.its really weird how some c2ds will cool as could be and others are friggin toasters.
    last resort i guess would be to see if you can improve your caseflow somehow.your ambient temps are pretty high too so thats going to have a major impact as well.gl man!

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    maybe you got a concave IHS?

8. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Might be concave, can't tell just by looking at it. Was thinking about lapping, but I kinda enjoy the whole warranty thing. :p

About airflow, yeah, it's not that good. These PSU cables are all sleeved, and really stiff, can't bend them too much, have them squished in the 5 1/4" drive bays right now, heh. Here's a pic of the case without the PSU cables in the drive bays, any ideas for improvements welcome. :/

Without the side panel on and the case lying on the floor, temps drop about 3-4c.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  9. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    yikes thats alot of cables!any way to hide them behind the mb maybe?

10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    you'd be surprised at how tidying up the insides help in cooling down your CPU :)

11. mostwanted

mostwanted Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7600GT/6600GT XFX AGP
    hey no dun sweat it...juz that maybe the batch u got of the core 2 duo is not that good..I had the same temps then i changed my batch and everythin became alrite...I used to have 45C idle and 66C load...

12. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Unfortunately not since they're all sleeved, and a lot thicker than they appear to be in the pic, I guess I'll have to settle with them squished in the drive bays.

Though like I said before, with the side panel off and the case on the ground, temps only drop about 3c, so the cables aren't causing some massive 15c hike. :p

Well, if 62c max isn't dangerous or anything, I guess I can live with it. Just hope it doesn't end up dying in a year or something.......

Also, anyone know anything about my RAM question in the first post? Been bugging the heck out of me. :/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  13. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    ah no worries then.as long as they arent restricting airflow you should be fine.

14. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Did some testing with the aircon on and set to 22c. 44c idle and it didn't go above 54c after a 1 hour Orthos run.

If only it was always like that, I might even be able to run it at 3.6GHz. *Drooool*

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I had an opty @ 2.8ghz on stock cooling that idled at 32c and now have a sempron 3000+ am2 @ 1.6ghz that idles at 39-40c lol. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw.

16. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    the zalman 9700hsf is not that good i have one .... anyone that has one notice that it actually moves around doesnt matter how hard you try to screw it on. The design of the S thing to hold it down to the cpu is crap. Temps seem to be right for the e6600 @ 3.6ghz at 1.38v is idle 50c -52c with as5. Cant help but think it would perform be better if the zalman was really tight on.

17. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I noticed that too but tightening it worked for me. My e4300 at 3.25ghz 1.5v idles at 27-28c and load is 44c in games, 55c dual prime, and 65-67c TAT.

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Hey Firefox.. I was in the same boat as you.. since I have practically the same setup as you right down to the hsf.. (z 9500 here)

I was getting almost the same temps as you are now until I updated the bios.. what revision are you using??? Reason being because the p5n32-e board has a serious issue with overvolting your cpu causing a lot more heat than desired. I was pulling my hair out because my temps were way to high.

I updated to the most recent bios 0902, and the vcore issue was fixed. Before, as soon as I would oc past 1200fsb, it would overvolt my cpu to 1.45/1.5 volts which was wayyyyy unecessary. Once I flashed, I can now oc to 1440fsb, @ 3.2ghz with only 1.3v and my idle temps are around 39/41, 45/42 on a warmer day... full load will still go up to around 58c, but at least its idling lower now. When my vcore was up at 1.5 my temps were where yours are right now.. obviously its probably a deal warmer in Aussieland but still..

I seriously recommend updating the bios if you haven't done so already.. it was like night and day for me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  19. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Yep, using 0902, (flash actually screwed up since I used the widnows based ASUS update, not EZ Flash, had to order a new BIOS chip with 0902 on it. Too afraid to flash to 0903 now. :p). Also heard you recommend removing the metal bracket that holds the CPU down in another thread, tried that, no difference. Though the bracket was curved, hammered it out to make it straight, no difference.

Well, after that air-con testing, I'm fairly certain it's just the ambient temp. 22c with 54c full load at 3.2GHz/1.3v, pretty normal I guess?

Now I just need to figure out why my RAM can't do 1000MHz like the SPD says it can, (see first post).