Too many folders?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by BLEH!, Apr 3, 2020.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm finding myself idle for a lot of the time. Are there too many people trying to fold and not enough WUs to go around?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I think the services connected with distribution and management seem to be overwhelmed... I bet they never thought they'd have as many contributes as they now do have.
    I finished a workload yesterday and didn't get any points (so I knew it arrived there done) until today.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ah, right. That'd be the other explanation.

Current WU is quite low pointage it seems.

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well, I have a hard time getting WUs for the GPU anyway, which is supposed to work on covid (CPU does not...), so you're not far off I guess. For what it's worth, I find anything besides the GPU is hardly useful... so probably the only thing we can do is wait and hope for an assignment.

edit: my GPU hasn't gotten an assingment at all today, CPU is now folding at 14364 (covid)

hmmm it says failed to send result in the log.... ???

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020

5. AnClar

AnClar New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX970
    They've recently (in the last week or so) put up a number of CPU COVID WUs...I've gotten quite a few, to go along with my GPU WUs. Also, when the servers are drained of WUs, what I do is to just pause and unpause the FAH client. That cuts the retry interval back down to a minute or two. Seems to work pretty well for me in picking up new WUs if they are scarce.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    My computer seems to receive WU daily, but the client is set on other major disease, as Covid-19 WU are not available.
    And yeah, points.
    Made some progress, but in the end they are somehow dully perceived as something to brag on.
    We fight to help fight disease, it's not a race.
    But this is my opinion, you may disagree.

7. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Just to give you an idea:
    • There's an approximately 20x increase in demand
    • Every time F@H double's their server resources, the number of Donors trying to help goes up by a factor of 4, outstripping whatever was done
    Source

The only thing we can do to help out is to leave the client retrying. I generally pause/unpause after 10 attempts as a few hours would have passed by.

8. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Currently, there's no way to select what disease to choose from the Client-end. The priority is set at the Server level and AFAIK, COVID-19 projects have high priority. There were plans to eventually support the disease selection feature but not sure what the status is of that feature.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Hey, I'm happy to get WUs again. My GPU was doing nothing yesterday...

10. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    That's great! I too have noticed that I have been folding WUs on my GPU for the last few hours :)

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Weirdly I'm getting WU after WU today. Time to turn on the spare PC!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    the Folding@Home client was updated to allow users to select COVID-19 specifically. In case you haven't updated your client in the last day or 2....

13. ariskar

ariskar Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    I found the fastest way after 4-5 attempts failed is to restart the client which would reset the timeout between attempts. Usually, after doing that I am getting a WU within less than a minute or so. However this is only possible when you are on the PC.

I seem to get the same issue. Sometimes takes up to 45 mins to get a new WU...

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  14. ariskar

ariskar Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    in advanced configuration you can use the following: next-unit-percentage || 96

So when you are at 96% it is downloading the next WU. It will minimize downtime in between.

15. AnClar

AnClar New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX970
    It may minimize downtime, but it can also reduce total points. If you download a new WU at 96% on the current one, the clock will start ticking on the downloaded WU as soon as you get it, thereby potentially reducing the points you'll get. The clock starts ticking when you are assigned and download the WU, not when you start processing it, so if you d/l a new WU at 96%, the new WU can be sitting waiting to start while the current one still has 4% left to do. Meanwhile, the clock is running on the newly downloaded WU. It's a bit of a balancing act. My next-unit-percentage is set to 100%. I usually don't have to wait long for a new WU, and if the gap between gets too long, I just pause and unpause the slot. That's worked well for me. YMMV.

HandR likes this.

16. ariskar

ariskar Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080
    Well it depends, sometimes it took 30 mins to get a new WU. You could optimise it to 98 or 99 % depending on your experience. Still faster folding (more WU's) and less downtime. The whole point of folding is much more than just points, but actual processing work for scientific purposes getting done.

17. AnClar

AnClar New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX970
    Absolutely...and it's why I'm folding. I don't really care about the points...it's more an exercise in optimization, as you point out. I do get impatient if I see one of my slots idle though. Idle slot=less science.

ariskar likes this.