Too Large Desktop with Sapphire HD4850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tootlet, Aug 2, 2008.

1. tootlet

tootlet New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 512Mb
    Greetings,
    I'm having troubles with a newly built computer featuring a Sapphire HD 4850 512 Mb card.
    Here's the box:
    Gigabyter GA-EP-35-DS3L
    Intel Q9450 running at stock 2.66 Mhz
    Sapphire HD 4850 512 MB
    G. Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK @5-5-5-15
    Lite-on DVD-RW
    WD 250 Gb HD (Sata) divided into 2 partitions
    Acer AL2216W LCD monitor native resolution 1680x1050@60 Mhz attached via an Avocet Switchview 1000 KVM switch (none of the other boxes attached are having problems)
    Partition #1 Windows XP Pro @ SRP3
    Partiton #2 Will be Vista Home Premium 32 if I can ever get XP working

Here's the how I got into this fix. I downloaded the latest driver from AMD/ATI. I slipstreamed it with the other drivers for the mobo with nLite. First boot as administrator looked fine. Booted again into my user account also with administrator privileges.

The desktop is larger than my monitor! Checked the resolution. Right on. 1680x1050@60. Uninstalled the drivers and redownloaded them from AMD/ATI. Reinstalled. Same thing. The desktop or any maximized window is larger than my monitor. I have to move the cursor around to see the edges of the windows. So I download and install Catalyst Control Center. There I find a place to force the resolution. Fine, now it is 1680x1050@60 but even moving the cursor no longer brings the edges into view! I have to use the Windows key to get to my programs and alt-ctrl-delete to bring up the task monitor to shutdown. How humiliating!

Is this because I should load the Sapphire drivers instead of ATI? Any suggestions? Tried googling but no one seems to have the uber desktop problem I'm having!

I've lately been using Nvidia products as their support for Linux has been good. I switched as I've heard raves about the 4850 and 4870. I hope to get this fixed so I can enjoy it's goodness!

Thanks,
    Tom

2. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    I bet its that KVM switch . Have you tried without ??

I have the same exact Monitor and running 4850 fine at 1680x1050

3. tootlet

tootlet New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 512Mb
    Cold booted the thing to try and get it sorted. It came up perfectly. No problem at all. Wish I knew what was up as I had booted it several times, cold and hot boots. But there you have it. Don't know why it went wonky, don't know why it works now. Thanks for your attention.