Tomb Raider: Lara Croft Reborn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by BABA-The Hacker, Dec 9, 2010.

1. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    2xRTX3090HoF OC Lab
    I think I will buy it this weekend. Is this better than Uncharted 2 ? I only ask because Uncharted 2 (on PS3) was probably one of the best 3rd person action adventure game I've played during the last couple of years.

2. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Indeed Vinnie, indeed. Love the game so far. Got 40 mins in but then sadly had to leave for work. As a massive Tomb Raider fan, I hope it keeps up the excellence I have witness so far.

I did face one problem running it in Big Picture mode, that was possibly on my end though but running it not in BP mode has been running fine.

3. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    If anyone's getting crashes with nvidia card, try windows update driver GeForce 311.06 WHQL, i've not had one crash yet. you'll have to uninstall nvidia driver then run windows update.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no lol, u2 is a better game.

5. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    obviously they have tried to copy uncharted. i dont have this tomb raider so i cant say... but i highly doubt it will be at the level of naughty dogs uncharted games

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Uncharted - kinda too much of the smug (pathos) in plot/ acting for my taste, plus too much of the action-shootouts gameplay to be on a more of "adventure" side of the game. Hate the smug in acting/ character animation - after I've been got hit by matureness/adulthood/manhood - can't stand that in games XD
    TR more like about adventure and exploration itself...with more gentle care for protagonist ...due to the tender nature of the main character I guess ;) ...but I just started - we'll see how this goes further :)

7. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    I want to go home.. :(

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    exploration? it's the most linear tunnel I've played in ages.

9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    If the game gets much more demanding laters on then you can put me down for another 680, ..680 folks not Titan. :D

10. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    lol yeah seems that way.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I'd say it's on a par with Uncharted 2 overall. Tomb Raider has more cinematic set-pieces but weaker cutscenes and characters. It's clear that this game is heavily influenced by the Uncharted games though but that's no bad thing as it definitely feels fresher and more up to date in terms of gameplay and storytelling than TR: Underworld ever did.

12. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    I'm talking about the feelings of exploration and not about open world sandbox ;) And "most linear tunnel" ? Really ? But this isn't simple not like all of that are kinda true XD

EDIT:
    Yeeeeaaaah - I am the "Master Guru" now ! "M-A-S-T-E-R" :LOL ...get it, no? kinda one hundred and fifty posts already :3eyes:

13. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    You want every game sandbox yeah? a big one size fits all mass sandbox COD clone. If i want sandbox i'll go get a sandbox game, but sure if it wasn't this you was complaining about it would be something else, cause complaining is cool, especially when the object of hate is so obviously a winner.
    So what about us that are enjoying game and have to suffer you folks pointing out every minute fault, can you imagine, can you put yourself in someone else's shoes, immerse yourself in them?
    Immersion is key, this game oozes it, you fellas fail at your distractions.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Huh? Yeah the game is linear in that it is telling a story leading up to an end point and there are lots of cinematics linking them together were control is taken away from the player as you move from area to area. The game still has open, albeit smallish, areas to explore though and you can fast travel to previously visited areas to find all the secrets. So it isn't quite your average corridor shooter like, say, Call of Duty but it isn't as open as Far Cry 3 either. It's somewhere inbetween and far more cinematic than any open world game I've played to date. It really does feel like I'm taking part in a movie (which might not be what everyone wants but I love it and think it works really well, just as it did in Uncharted 1-3).

15. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    TressFX looks good most of the time. just wish it wasn't such a performance hog. once it goes off, 2x the performance.

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    It's a sign of things to come, with the arrival of next-gen consoles ala Watch Dogs. gonna need some serious hardware. :eyebrows:

17. MfA

MfA Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    Thx pal :nerd:

18. ravageuk

ravageuk Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580 SLI
    Been playing for a few hours, had 2 CTDs, and some weird screen flickering/triangle colours/don't even know how to explain it kind of thing happen that lasts for a few secs then goes back to normal.

Love this TressFX, not had any glitchy stuff happen with it though (seen a YT vid where Lara's hair would really spaz out when she moves). With TressFX turned off the game runs at around 80-95fps with everything maxed, with TressFX turned on i get between 60-70ish with drops to around 45 in places.

Looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds, just hope it's not fail at the end.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I've seen Lara's hair 'spazzing' out a lot but then again it was during stormy, windy weather but it only served to highlight how unconvincing the animation actually is. And once you notice the way her hair rests on what looks like an invisible forcefield around her shoulders then it starts to jar. A nice idea but NVIDIA's own PhysX hair animation is vastly superior (though probably more demanding) and I say that without a hint of bias!

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    I'm not so sure. The PS4 has an 8-core CPU but it runs at a low 1.6 GHz per core so isn't a match for any current PC processor and the graphics card is likely to date quickly once new and more powerful cards come out for the PC. I'd say that for the first 18-24 months that games will look impressive on the next-gen consoles before the PC again (and unsurprisingly) takes the lead as we move over to 2560x1440 and 4K (3840x2160) resolutions as standard over the next five to seven years.