Tomb Raider (2015): Rise of the Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Loophole35, Jun 30, 2014.

1. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It definitely seems completely hit or miss in this game.
    I've seen people with much better setups then mine report drops in FPS, like you.
    Yet, for me... it offers a much smoother, more stable frame rate. And even increased my FPS throughout.

Just comes down to the fact that the game wasn't built from the ground up around DX12 so the implementation is going to be touchy.
    DX12 so far seems as if it really needs a very focused hand for the developers to really make it worthwhile.
    And, with so many developers not completely willing to drop DX11 in favor of it... getting better results out of it is simply going to take much longer.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    me too i can max the game on dx12, 60 fps smoothness, no issues here.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Don't mind the benchmark. It's highly inaccurate. You have to play the actual game to really determine the worth of the DX12 path.. Even if your FPS isn't higher, your frame times should be much more consistent.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    In game benchmarks are very seldom ever really accurate.

I can do the in game benchmark in games like Thief or Arkham Knight, and have the benchmark tell me I need to lower settings to maintain a certain frame rate.

Then, play the game at the exact same settings and have a solid, smooth experience with no issues.

6. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I tried it in game, logged out with 59.9fps in DX11, logged in with 47fps with DX12, it just runs much worse for me. No idea why. I'm basically playing at medium preset with high detail and 16xAF just to keep the frame rate stable at 60fps, it still looks nice but obviously it has lost some of the wow factor, I miss the fancy hair especially. I really didn't expect it to bring my PC to its knees like this, in comparison Witcher runs at 60fps 100% locked on a mix of high/ultra with only 1 setting on medium.

Poor performance aside the game is really good and I'm enjoying it a lot, I'm currently in
    The Frozen City
    . I've been playing a lot, finding it hard to put down.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Hmm.
    I've been running a mix of High and Very High settings, holding a solid 60fps in DX12.
    While the game's performance has varied between systems, I wonder if there's something else going on that could be causing the drops you are getting.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Lower system memory perhaps?

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I just saw that, it could be possible.
    RotTR is pretty memory intensive.

10. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Who knows? Either way I just finished it and it's uninstalled as I don't replay games. I'd give it a strong 8/10, I really enjoyed it but the performance problems and the lack of "wow moments" stopped it getting a 9/10. I was waiting for an epic set piece throughout the entire game and one never came, there were some cool ones, but nothing you're going to think back fondly on in a months time, whereas The Definitive Edition and more recently Uncharted 4 definitely did have these moments. I will say Rise absolutely nailed the climbing/platforming, even besting Uncharted 4 in this department IMO, I loved all the little mechanics that kept it fresh throughout.

8/10

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    This tomb raider was a step back, it traded tightly controlled plot levels for open world crafting nonsense, there's only really the opening level where you have the typical tomb raider "lets take this path that crumbles as we go" and then it's open world metroidvania (and not well done metroidvania) stuff.

Uncharted is well received even now because you don't revisit the same level all the time to get some collectible or get a herb, the level designers know you won't return to an area so have free control over what to do with it (like syria in this game). And sure it has RPG style levelling of equipment and gear, but you know you can grind for it, it's not a Last of Us style choice where you need to choose what's best for the situation or what you prefer. By halfway through the game I had all the best gear of my preferred equipment.

Tomb raider 2013 has the right mix, you have smaller open world areas to explore, and many many scripted corridors where its all going wrong and what not.

Never even completed this, got bored when I got to the underground big city and saw one last open world full of enemies nonsense.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's a good point. RotTR uses a lot of RAM, especially in DX12 mode.

With DX11, I see around 8+GB of RAM being used. With DX12, it rises to 10+GB..

No idea why DX12 consumes more RAM than DX11, but it happens in other games as well. Ashes of the Singularity is the same..

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I mean this in no way as a negative or anything like that.
    Just expressing my thoughts. :)

But... I can never understand this.
    Buying a game, playing it once and never touching it again. I mean, if it was a bad game or something one didn't enjoy... yeah.

But, a good game... never replaying it. That just floors me.
    That's like buying a new album, listening to it once and never again. I know it's all about personal preference.
    But, I can't think of a single game I own that I enjoyed that I have not gone back to .

14. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Graphics and animation wise, ROTTR is amazing.
    However, i don't like the direction Tomb Raider is taking tbh. The puzzles used to be the main focus of the game ( think Anniversary), but now it has become more of a "run and gun" game.

The puzzles in ROTTR was not really hard and way too obvious to even call them puzzles. They should just scrap the whole Survival Instinct thing.

15. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I play single player games for the story or just to experience it, once I have I'd rather move onto the next adventure than replay the same one. I'm the same with films, I very rarely rewatch anything.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I only play games for the single player as well. I never touch MP in any game.
    But, I still replay games constantly.

Very, very rarely do I replay one right away after finishing it the first time.
    Normally I'll finish a game, go on to something else... but in time, I return to the game and replay it.
    Same as I'll re-read a great book, re-watch a film and listen to my favorite albums over and over.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    No ran the same for me even with 8gb of ram, now i have 16gbs

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Yeah simple exmple, wolfenstein the new order, this is my third playthrough in 2 years since it came out

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm currently replaying Deus Ex: Human Revolution (because of next week's release) and Batman: Arkham Knight.
    Having just replayed the entire Arkham series.

I love replaying games I enjoy. :)

20. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Arkham Knight craps all over rottr graphically.

I prefer original tomb raider to rise IMHO.
    Games in 2016 not the same as yesterday.

Actually back on topic, this version of rise of tomb raider went tribal towards end. Reminds me of that far cry game with the naked voodoo woman at the end.

However instead of the breast action we got this idiot called Trinity..

Even Arkham Knight had poison ivy and she put the P in poison!