Tomb Raider (2015): Rise of the Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Loophole35, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's natural for people to be upset.
    The first game was a multiplatform release, and it had a lot of fans. Fans that were looking forward to a sequel.

And then they announce a sequel, getting people excited.... only to announce later that it would be exclusive to one platform, almost like kicking your legs out from under you.

There may possibly be a PC port later on, but I'm still upset by this stupid move.
    Yes, I'm excited for other games... and there will always be other games to play. But I love the Tomb Raider reboot. And was beyond thrilled to hear of a sequel.... see the teaser and get even more excited.
    Only for that excitement to be pulled away a few months later when they decide to announce it's limited to one platform instead of all three like people expected.

2. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

Sauce: EuroGamer

They are still tw*ts though.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yeah, Microsoft are real devious buggers. They clearly worded their Rise of the Tomb Raider announcement in a way that inferred it would be exclusive only to the Xbox One. The actual wording is 100% correct in that come Holiday 2015 the Xbox One and, presumably now the Xbox 360, will be the only platforms you will be able to play this game on. However, they made no mention at the time that it is a timed-exclusive and that is where they have been deliberately misleading. Maybe they hoped that 5 million people would have rushed out and bought an Xbox One console before it was confirmed that the game actually wasn't an exclusive after all! I wouldn't put it past Microsoft; they have been making some truly bizarre decisions for the past couple of years!!! :3eyes:

Other games such as Watch_Dogs and Destiny, which have 'exclusive' PS4 DLC, have always made it clear that it is only for a time.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    no , i dont own a Xbox one, so i only pay for PSN+

There arent many games that make me want to buy a xbox one tbh. Its also because it was the same with the xbox360 for me. If i look back there were far more appealing titles on the ps3 then on xbox360 (whcih was a dust magnet from the start for me). I do however own a wii-u also.

PSN+ has sold itself back so many times as i got easily over 100 games for free for ps3. It actually made me want to buy less and less games in total. The last 3 steam sales i did not buy anything!
    Now its slowly starting on the ps4 , so that will pay back in the future as well.

PSN+ is a great service imho.

ps. i still buy some FPS for pc though, unless they are not available on the platform. (like destiny)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well that is good news that exclusive contract has a duration. So that means we will get a chance to play this game at some point without owning an Xbox one.

6. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    That's a shame. That kind of spite has forced you to miss quite a lot of great games. Uncharted and God of War come to mind immediately.

I'll never understand why people feel it has to be PC or console. What's wrong with playing both?

I love my ps4, my xbox one...well..sunset overdrive will hopefully help me like it more lol, but I still game on my PC. FPS games, especially. Need that kb+m.

The problem is, there's been a huge shift in the last 10 years. How many games does one miss if they don't game on PC and only game on console? Not nearly as many as someone who only games on PC. You get a prettier version of a port. But you don't get to enjoy many exclusives unless you like broken steam pre-beta alpha stuff.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You do realize that the majority of the time... it's the publisher that decides the platforms, not the developer.
    Yes, there are developers that make that decision themselves, and then find a publisher to back that move.

But, in a lot of cases, the developer needs the publishers funding to create the game. And in turn, the publisher decides where the funding will go.

And, I don't see how a "gamer" would be willing to ignore awesome games simply because they weren't developed on PC first.
    Sad to limit yourself in such a childish way.

8. Mugsy

Mugsy Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Don't get me wrong, i don't have spite for ps or xbox...nor for those who play on consoles only or both console and pc. I just don't like consoles. Except fifa, all other games i can't (as in i don't like at all to) play with a controller. I love the mouse and keyboard and i bought my pc because i do other stuff (work) on besides games. That's why i don't see the point in spending another couple of hundred bucks (of my hard earned cash) for a console just to play a game that the developer/publisher (don't care which) has decided to not publish it to pc. I don't mind missing any game (uncharted/gow). It's a matter of personal preference, not spite or hate.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    lol so people buy more xbone, probably bundles too.

Then lift it after 2-3 months and release for the rest, pure marketing.. They know the game will sell well.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Well considering the last game was a poor seller despite it getting a ton of rave reviews and even gamer praise, you really think its going to be a system mover?

3 to 1 that is what ps4 is outselling xbone. 2.5 to 1.5 maybe with tr and few other titles.

Yea keep dreaming of turning that ship around microsoft. xbone can keep it.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Xbox One Pro. Graphics are scalable, just have a 'budget' Xbox (the current one) and a high end Xbox with say, $200 better hardware. People would actually buy that.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neah, I wouldn't be surprised to see the refresh models of both consoles to be faster than the launch models with the current ones disposed off at a discount. It would be foolish to charge $600 for a console, the struggles faced by launch PS3 proved that.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    There's a survey on Destructoid where 94.5% of people said they would NOT buy an Xbox One for Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's not definite obviously, as irate PS4 owners may have just voted to sway the results, but I suspect that the truth is that Tomb Raider is just not a system seller anymore. In fact, Square-Enix complained about low sales of the game and now they're releasing it on a format first that has a smaller user base than its rival!

I've no doubt that the game will come to PS4 and PC. And as an owner of both new consoles, I'm happy to wait for the PS4 or PC version on the basis that Tomb Raider: D.E. was worst on the Xbox One (30 FPS and with screen tearing and sub-1080p cinematics).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  14. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    Was it ever? :confused:

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800

16. PearlChoco

PearlChoco Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II
    Indeed, you're right. It was a decent system seller almost 20 years ago.

17. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    :cheers: Amen to that.

18. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2080 Super
    I second this :banana:

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Control system wise, in the last few months i've completely ditched mouse and keyboard, the last thing i want to do after working all day is to go anywhere near another mouse or keyboard.

As for the game, yeah Tomb Raider was a huge franchise in the 90's, but nowadays not so much, which is a shame as the originals were great and while the last game was ok, it was more like Uncharted than Tomb Raider.

Square Enix likely made this a timed exclusive because of that reason, the game is not anywhere near close to being a huge seller so why not take money from MS to ease the blow.

If anything it might make the game sell better, as people love to get a game that was previously an exclusive for something they don't have.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse