Tomb Raider (2015): Rise of the Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Loophole35, Jun 30, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Uncharted 1/2/3 remasters
    Project Car
    Drive Club
    Metro LL
    MGSV
    Crysis 3 (hell, 1's foliage looks better than this)
    BF3/4/Hardine
    Mad Max
    AC Unity
    shadow of mordor

Console exclusives aside, all these games run much better at higher resolutions, maxed out while being (in the case of C3/metro ll, far) older than RoTR.

Settings? Everyone is having issues with the larger areas.

Second, this has nothing to do with TR not being like the originals.

Third, older games are being referred to because those games actually justified the required hardware. Unlike this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its not. See above.
    ---

You all complain about Nvidia and their iron grip on gpus prices if amd goes out of business. Yet you're quite happy to spend stupid amounts of money on the latest gpus that cant play something that looks like this maxed out over 60fps and 1080p.

What message do you think it sends when you claim to be happy that a NZ$1000 gpu cant even max out the latest games that are not Crysis era defining (and RoTR is certainly not).

It use to be that gpus would crush 9/10 games in regards to max settings and fps. Now, even console ports that only look marginally worse on the ps4 are struggling to run on the pc with only slightly better fps and visuals (outside of pc exclusive resolutions) and with top end gpus at that.

The days of when we turned down settings as certain games were simply unplayable maxed out even with the lasted and and greatest were extremely few and far between before 2008/10. Games like Crysis (while unoptimized) were not the norm and visually still arent.

Enjoy your game, by all means. Yes to me the new TRs are a joke compared to what the originals were about - gameplay first and for most.

My issue is the message to devs and Nvidia\AMD that much like those who accept ****ty ports, pre-order and make excuses for developers/publishers for putting out poorly optimized games, is saying you're okay for your top end gpu to struggle with max settings and only getting 30-60fps at 1080/1440p for a game that looks like this.

Then theres the issue with multi gpus. I mean, support has gone down the drain, so how are we suppose to play at this must have (appreanlty) 4k resolution that those tossers at AMD\Nvidia and everyone else under the son are saying we need. They cant even be bother to make sure their own tech works in a game that has gameworks\AMD tech built in.

Ps4 first party titles and their performance vs the hardware are making the PC look like a joke.

This is why im still only single 580. There is not only no incentive gameplay wise and certainly not visually, to upgrade.

Think about it. Thats all im saying.
    This is the last thing ill say about it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX3090 OC
    On win 7, old drivers and sli and it's perfect. Never drops below 75 and avg around 100 all maxed(fxaa).

My Brother has almost same set up and win 10 and guess what? Lower fps by around 20%.
    Now he has the new driver but I don't.

3. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Well said, that´s why I cancelled my order for a 970 recently and decided on a simple 950, pretty much enough for everything on 1080p and high settings that isn´t a crappy port/shady hardware mover.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Runs ok here, smooth.. At least first 3 levels. Min so far was by lots of water particles ~ 40ish fps, otherwise around 55-75fps all the time, sometimes even more..

Gameplay & story is good too, imo much better then older TR2013.

Im using these settings atm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But game crashes, not sure atm is it gpu OC or my cpu OC, I OC'ed cpu some more, well it appears to be as TDR?

Gonna play with my cpu OC a bit, otherwise 1215mhz or 1200mhz gpu OC somehow isn't stable with this new 361.75 driver. -_-

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah. As someone who had a 750ti, that card is way past it's prime.
    Even a year or two ago it was pushing being a competitive GPU for gaming.

It packed a lot of power for a very cheap price tag, but it was never intended as a serious gaming card.
    Why would you expect it to run a brand new release this year when it couldn't even run releases a couple years back unless you dialed the settings way down?

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    yeah! gurfics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I think the issue is a few years ago £200 would get you a GPU that could play all the latest games at max settings but the price has more than doubled since then for a capable card and a lot of people simply can't afford to upgrade to play games like this and that ruffles some feathers, I only upgraded my 670 sli a year ago to a 980 because of Oculus, if I could afford it I would have gone with the 980TI but the price was just too high and it still is, a GPU shouldn't cost the same as a console to play the latest games, when you consider the price of all the other components you need as well for a lot of people it's just not worth the price of admission.

8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Game is fun and that's what it's all about.
    Plus I kinda like the looks of the game.
    [​IMG]

9. TitusTroy

TitusTroy Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    tough call with my GTX 970 at 1920 x 1200...with everything else maxed out (except for Texture Quality on High instead of Very High)...SSAA 4X down to SSAA 2X and I gain 10 fps...SSAA 2X down to SMAA and I gain an additional 15 fps...SSAA 4X is not playable as I get under 30 fps in spots...SMAA gets me frame rates in the 50's and above with slight dips...but I really want to be able to use SSAA 2X

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    A few years ago most games were ports from very old consoles, the base game is now of a far higher quality than it was then so the hardware now reflects that.

There is always going to be conflict between PC gamers whether good enough visuals and performance is priority, or visuals that use most if not all available visual tricks whether they have a heavy impact on performance or not.

I suppose it all depends on what people have or can ever afford, and alot of the time turning down settings does not make a huge difference, people just don't like doing it as it hurts their ego.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB
    The problem is on nvidia. Anything that is GTX 9XXX is a joke under the GTx 970. The 960 can barely beat a GTX 670.

AMD side, the 380(X) is a great deal at $200-$225.

As old as the 290x is, I can maintain 50+ fps on very high settings @ 2560x1080.

And you can get those for alot cheap then a GTX 780.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    A 380X is barely any faster than a 960 in this game though.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dell 6800XT 16GB
    That can be related to drivers though.
    AMD hasnt released a driver yet ( go figure) ofcourse.

We all know certain games certain gpus will kick ass and suck in others.

A fury X is not beating a gtx 980 until 1440p and its barely.

14. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Because that card has been steadily matching/outperforming ps4, and well, this is only a xbox one game. No one is demanding 60fps for the 750ti, but half xbox one performance?, ridiculous :3eyes: If they don´t wanna do proper coding for such cards then they should be more profesional and pull it out of system requirements.

Ps.- Wow people in neogaf report stuttering with max textures on the 970, glad I cancelled my order for that card.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  15. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Finally had a chance to play for a few hours, everything maxed out and I'm pegged at 60fps. SLI seems to work great so far.

That's something I'm finding more intriguing about this game compared to the previous Tomb Raider game.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Does this game have multiplayer (the 2013 one was so bad lol)?

I'll probably only grab this when it's on sale with all DLC out though.

17. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    35fps average on the 970 high settings fxaa @1440p :3eyes:

18. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Just wanted to chime in here. Running 1080p with 4xSSAA is literally the same as running at 4k. SSAA is only for the highest of the high-end hardware, and shouldn't be used unless you have a lot of overhead.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    agre totally a game that is optimized shiuld run on hardware which is close to what ps4 offers and run at 30fps at 1080p. then u call a game optimized.

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    bro why u cant understsnd the logic here that the guy is saying and i perfectly agree with him. how can u have a game that is made for consoles perform half of what it should be when on xbone it is perfectly playable. this is the laziness we ar3 talking abt