Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint May 9 reveal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 4, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes
    and no.

Async engine programming is not one size fits all, try and run an AMD optimized implementation on nvidia and performance goes down, try and run an nvidia optimized implementation on amd and performance may go up, but won't be as optimal as the amd specific programming.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    A bit like the situation with the overall graphics card architecture and instruction set then I suppose, can be coded in a more generic way but to truly leverage the GPU and get close to full efficiency it needs to be geared towards either GCN likely Gen2 or the 200 series or I assume Pascal and newer for NVIDIA and the 1000 series.

Well not the exact same thing as the Warp and Wave stuff and overall other differences between AMD and NVIDIA but a similar diverge or split in the way it needs to be coded for both to get the most out of this feature which I assume the reality is either AMD or NVIDIA and not often both particularly with AMD supported titles I would guess and using that as a performance enhancement to further their own hardware and how that performs against the competition.
    (Not as bad as the older days and driver "tweaks" and just having to get the top spot in newer games and benchmarks but probably not entirely vendor neutral either or trying to leverage both plus whatever Intel ends up at when their cards arrive next year.)

So ideally both would be supported full out but if that was the standard the GPU issues and game performance problems wouldn't be too bothersome whereas in actuality only the larger game engines approaches something like that design, Frostbite as I recall even if it was worked together with AMD for a while and used among other things as a test case for Mantle before Vulkan and DirectX 12 were available.
    (That and complications around programming and using the low level graphics API's too and then specialized knowledge around async compute and where that factors in and how to leverage it for either AMD or NVIDIA which can't be easy either.)

Open beta has the same as the closed one and the other Anvil titles so D3D12 is in there at least traces of it but the shipped data just contains DX11 shaders and other assets though internally there's probably a build for DirectX 12 even if it's not in any shipped product and might not be until Assassin's Creed 2020 or if they're going for a more extensive service model with Breakpoint here it could be patched in later during the Year1 cycle of content and ongoing development while effort is still strong for adding additional code to the game before it diverts to more maintenance, smaller updates and such for work on a sequel.

What else? Well client side only for BattlEye again (So it's trivial to remove and the game just lets you connect without a care.) and the online only aspect showed a downside when the launch was delayed three hours while the server side was finalized though any and every open beta hits snags with that due to just sheer volume of data and traffic for everyone giving the game a quick try if it's free and easy to get into said beta though hopefully the launch will be a bit smoother and more prepared hah.

EDIT: Interesting to read up on though and learn a bit more on how it worked, used well there's probably a fair bit of untapped performance potential with Vulkan and D3D12 but it's hard to get the most out of these API's without care and also a good bit of skill plus it would also require time and testing so for multi-API ports well D3D11 and then D3D12 in most cases but both AMD and NVIDIA are starting to see upwards of a 20% or so gain now in several recent games for DirectX 12 and Vulkan is doing good too.
    (Though again AMD and the Windows OpenGL driver and it looks like VLK is just that much better than OGL whereas it's due to driver limitations in no small part.)

Though with newer games pushing towards multi threaded rendering and additional CPU demands and overall threading D3D12 might also show additional gains for AMD that are more for the D3D11 state of their driver code which since D3D11 isn't going anywhere I can only hope that gets revised in a future driver sometime.
    (Navi has some hardware advantages but that's not the entire solution after all, software side needs work too so who knows what that is going to be a hindrance for in the upcoming generation of games and applications pushing this even further.)

EDIT: But that's more of a general situation and overall state of things, Wildlands or well Breakpoint here and the next game out on Anvil Next giving a bit of a insight into how things might be though I don't think this is quite as CPU heavy as AC Odyssey or Origins were but I haven't checked the actual situation with the CPU threads either or the overall state of compute shaders which the two Creed games also used extensively compared to many other games.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Does AMD FideytFX works with a Nvidia card, i can't see any diffrence and game game is overall very blurry

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Pros :
    + Huge island seemingly full of quests
    + Nice graphics
    + Possibly interesting story
    + Perfect for Co-op

Cons:
    - Poor performance (just like Wildlands)
    - Questionable water splash textures
    - Some trees bend in the wind in sync with each other
    - Poor facial animations
    - Idle banter is repeated way too frequently
    - Some graphical glitches

Honestly it's Wildlands all over again and you can clearly feel it's a beta with some weird things happening.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    For some "light reading" https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2...-barriers-part-3-multiple-command-processors/

JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    The game is to easy to if play alone

7. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    PRELOAD is possible now - 41.34 GB

Gotta say this last beta really ran great on my Win7 & GTX1080 (2560x1080) and looked just gorgeous. Can't wait for the full game. :)

Also they seem to have boosted the enemy damage when playing on Xtreme difficulty cause i died a lot more than before. When engaging a heavy gunner with 4 other guys on open range you have no chance. I like that, felt much more realistic than the other skill levels.

So def gonna play on extreme.

SpajdrEX likes this.
  8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    A lot of people don't like the game, but I actually enjoy it. I still wonder if the release version will have DX12 included.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix

*edit*

*edit*

After seeing quite a bit of gameplay of this now it actually looks terrible....

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    jbscotchman and Kolt like this.
  10. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Yup, the 3 betas were everything i needed to ensure i would love the game like Wildlands.
    I'm a stealth kinda guy and just shoot everyone once caught. Maybe that's the way to play this game and not just guns blazing.
    Don't get your impressions from a video if you can play the beta - that's my opinion.

Anyway, can't wait for this game. Gonna start tomorrow. :D

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    To be expected, empty/boring/dead open world, weird lootsystem, shady ingame shop, bad story/ai, menu is bad implemented, etc. so the game is more a disappointment,..reviews showing that.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Kolt likes this.
  12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  14. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Big failure

15. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Interesting how AAA releases are getting more disappointing, unfinished, unpolished and generic every year. It's time for smaller studios to step up.

Kolt likes this.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Service model and well the actual revenue and sales profits are higher than before plus the service model allows long term continual investment mostly targeting a small but very financially involved group of players who must have everything and can keep the game financially viable even with little interest by the rest of the player base.

Unfortunately that's had the expected effect of making these micro purchases way more aggressive and "Fear of missing out." or FOMO with limited timed content (And pay to get it instantly.) becoming very popular and very effective.
    GTA V stands out just as this took full effect scrapping the SP DLC for focusing on MP content and for two or three years hitting new sales records for what is basically cash for in-game cash to a level where support for the game was extended by another year as I recall it.

Ubisoft is now using the formula quite effectively following games released after Watch_Dogs 2 which is one of the last for their "AAA" segment to not feature any of this beyond the older form of cosmetic DLC and various add-on packs going from Wildlands, For Honor, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed and now Breakpoint pushing for what looks like a new record for the in-game market and what they're offering.

And despite claims that most of the content can be acquired in-game I am fairly certain around half of the existing content has "Store purchase." as the hint for how to acquire it instead of some mission name, region or just finding it as a random drop plus the boosters and immediate unlocks and so on.

Data is client side though so that's one way around that little mess even for just evening out the curve for "gently" pushing players to at least consider boosters. :D

And of course regular game, regular game with extra content and a bit early unlock at around a 20$ more and then ultimate edition including the season pass for almost 50$ more and it's a GAAS or Gaming As A Service so they're probably planning on a second pass for next years content cycle too and the current Uplay+ subscription using a big new release close to where this is made available which at 15$ monthly makes for a pretty neat sum though it does provide for most if not all of the UPlay library and the most content complete edition though it's still a cost and I wouldn't recommend it for just interest in a single game or a few even.
    (Ubisoft after all and how most of their stuff is also frequently and quickly discounted since sales even at a lower initial cost could still see continual payments from additional content from players though they've had this since before GAAS become a thing.)

The game is buggy though and fairly rough in how it implements some features though so was Wildlands but this feels more incomplete so I would recommend waiting a few months and not be too bothered by missing the early attraction content they're promoting for the immediate after release additions at least for the expected retail price around 60 Dollar / Euro or similar local currency or more depending on region.(Or less for a few. :) )

Has it's moments but also needs some work, sales are probably strong though although critical reviews and streamer reception is more mixed which might affect longer term sales though it could still be financially successful for early sales and pre-orders plus the in-game store.

EDIT: 30 years and moving from physical to digital and back then while the goal was the same it was pretty well understood that the AI is cheating and after the warmup initial level that arcade machine would eat ALL the money.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard
    or
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SNKBoss
    (Anyone else remember those fighting games in the arcade halls? Ha ha! :p )

And here were are the means are more invasive and reliant on all kinds of telemetry data than ever before, some things change and many more remain the same or get worse though hopefully this can change but yeah this is how it is for now.

EDIT: Ah but while Ubisoft certainly is moving this service model heavily and expanding on it there's far worse, it takes time and is designed to take time but you still progress and get through the content without feeling like you absolutely need these boosters and such and none of the added content gives a straight up immediate advantage mostly keeping it cosmetic only. That I suppose is at least for now a good thing.

Though financially with how much money can be made from this system I am sure they'd love to push it more aggressively if they could and might inch more towards that little by little and longer term.
    (Instead of going all out mobile clicker game or MMO grind slog from the get-go.)

EDIT: What were some of these bigger titles up at again in terms of revenue here? A hundred some million USD per month for microtransaction profits I think I recall for one example where at least some data was available on this.
    (One game I think it was, F2P but pushing for players buying all sorts of content with real money or packs of game money for real money as is also really popular because it never really evens out so there's always a bit less or a bit more than needed.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    When you think about it Ghost Recon Breakpoint is not a real video game, it is an interactive marketplace.

18. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC

I grew up playing the classic/OG Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games. I remember when they were hardcore tactical games that required thoughtful planning and execution.

Ubisoft is just making all their games so completely generic. Tom Clancy games don't mean even remotely what they used to for me. Sad.

ShadowDuke and KissSh0t like this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Absolutely agree, the release of Breakpoint actually made me go and install the original Ghost Recon for nostalgia reason xD

It's sad, because of what Ubisoft are doing by turning the series into something else entirely there is kind of a vacuum now for an actual Ghost Recon game, I wonder if we will see any indie devs releasing a Ghost Recon type game.... I hope so at least

Kolt likes this.
  20. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I seriously hope so.. Indies are the future of gaming in my opinion. AAA is quickly becoming the bottom shelf.

KissSh0t likes this.