Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint May 9 reveal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 4, 2019.

1. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    @JonasBeckman
    I guess all the stuff you get at the camp from the guy on the gurney are so much because of the beta so you can "test" stuff more quickly. Cos getting 10 skill points and 30k skell credits from him/quest is not normal i think. ^^

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    signex likes this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Hah yeah I forgot about that and turning in the first quest not only giving a ton of basic stuff like consumables but also the 30k credits which will likely differ in the final version though I do feel enemies drop a pretty nice amount but that too and overall store price balance is subject to change.

Could also be weighted now that it's online and adjustable over time.

EDIT: Or maybe it was more like "This item, this item, these, those and all of this stuff." and here after this little scrolling reward segment some credits as well. :p

That, would be pretty high up on things that will change in the final game, hmm need to re-read things as well as I was under the impression that characters could carry over but that would skew things a bit and the Ubi save number is a five digit similar to other beta and demo products and not four like the retail games so nah.

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Played a bit of it earlier, i'll be honest, i'm not sold, remember having more fun on Wildland

signex likes this.
  4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I like it ,played for 1hr.I think I may keep the uplay+ just to play this game on release.

5. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Wow, gotta say this version looks and runs better than the last beta. Niiice.

Love the movement system, so much more sophisticated than the arcade animations in wildlands. Preordered.

XenthorX likes this.
  6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Servers offline? Was playing until the connecting to ubi servers kicked me out of my game...

Edit: Well yeah...i guess i need to check reddit 1st more..
    Edit2: And working again, phew..

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Performance are really satisfying, got to say i was concerned by previous test session. Character animations are much much better, but i feel the game lost a bit of its fun, wildland was really goofy fun as far as i cna tell.

This one is taking itself really seriously

8. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Duel OC 8
    trotting animation looks really wonky though the feet move to quick when its between a walk and a slight run

9. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    the game seems nice, but the performance is a little concern for me.
    whats yours fps with 1070 or equlevent 1660/1660Ti?
    I am hitting little over 40 frames on Ultimate preset with FullHD+ 2560x1080
    I know its beta and final product could be better optimazed + newer driver etc.
    I am curious your results.

10. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    freeman94: You expect too much at that resolution and settings I'm afraid.
    The game does not use DX12 yet, so at retail version, it could be faster but how much we will see.

signex likes this.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Does it even have confirmation for D3D12? Same as Anvil Next 2.0 before it (Origins/Odyssey) there's presence of it but the shipped build only contains D3D11 such as the various compiled shaders in the .forge container files.
    ( DataPC_dx11.forge for one of these.)

Or poke a bit in the exe for common text strings and you get stuff like this.
    [G4::SystemDetection::GearGraphics] EAL_LOG_WARNING: Could not create ID3D12Device device.

or

[G4::SystemDetection::Hardware] EAL_LOG_ERROR: Could not load d3d12 library

And a few other bits.

But that doesn't mean the shipped version ends up using it despite the overhead and other advantages though it would be nice for the engine to transition over to low-level API support and it's about pushing the limits. :D

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    So close to release i wouldn't expect much change in term of performance.

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I expect a day 1 patch shortly before launch with a few last additions and fixes as per usual and then after that the next patch might start doing some larger changes but yeah it's just a month and with gold mastering and packing and shipping or for development the Q&A process and testing they'd be partway into the launch day update by now and scheduling for the next title update and the usual server maintenance and framework which this beta also works to stress test fairly well with the downtime and other issues plus a quick check into security since it's trivially easy for now to bypass BattlEye which I expect to see changed especially with how much of the data is client side.
    (Ammo, health, visibility, currency at least for the non-premium kind and so on.)

14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    I thought I saw it somewhere that retail version will have DX12 support, but now I can't find it, could be a different game then? Latest trailer mention full PC optimization, but no mention about DX12.

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Leveraging asynchronous compute and lifting the CPU bottleneck would benefit AMD nicely so I'd like to see DirectX 12 supported plus it would also work for NVIDIA although part of the responsibility being for the developers can also make things problematic which seems to be the case with Gears of War 5 and the ongoing Division 2 issues more so than NVIDIA's drivers and then the opposite whenever NVIDIA supports a low-level API initiative in games they're co-operating with developing both for performance and stability.

But if that could be fixed up both vendors are looking at a nice 15 - 20% extra performance or more assuming the implementation is thorough and not just trying to wrap D3D11 netting some benefits but not the full effect. :)
    Rough estimate but likely true for AMD's current situation with CPU and driver overhead which D3D12 resolves but it also applies to NVIDIA and it's not just about async compute either though newer Pascal and Turing architecture cards seem to perform even better with this. (For AMD their D3D11 driver situation should definitively be seen over and overhauled but I guess low-level API's are the priority so that's going to continue being a potential problem.)

Draw calls, threading, scheduling and other stuff of all kinds from memory to shaders and what not if the developers work with it though if D3D11 is the base and then scaled from there it might not be optimal but could still be good.
    I'm no expert and different games and game engines handle stuff in different ways or have different bottlenecks or workflow and what must work and how and priorities and whatever else so yeah it's complex and it will take time but we're already seeing good improvements for both AMD and NVIDIA over just two or three years ago and the early initiatives to support VLK and D3D12 so that's a good sign. :)

EDIT: Well async compute on every shader wouldn't really be a thing either and it makes it more complex too though a increase in asynchronous compute and overall leveraging of compute shaders couldn't hurt but it will take time.
    (Anvil Next or rather Assassin's Creed Origins and then Odyssey were quite surprising when SpecialK was in effect and just seeing how extensively these engines use compute shaders compared to other games.)

Gears 5 and UE4 are a strong showcase too but it's a level based progression system and more linear paths even if there are open areas too though different from something that goes for a full open world.

Geometry complexity and draw calls are a huge issue in Anvil Next and how it's processed and culled at least for AMD though the improvements for Navi10 and the 5700 GPU is doing pretty well to counter drawbacks with their D3D11 driver code so it competes pretty nicely against NVIDIA here.
    (Game itself still kinda really wants a strong CPU too and good RAM for all the data to send here and there and things to process but additional overhead from GPU doesn't exactly help.)

EDIT: Which is also seen here with how quickly the game engine culls or pops out or streams out detail just turning the camera around a little bit or the shadow draw distance and complexity and other bits though the engine gives a nice illusion of having huge view distances and vistas even if it's simplified in complexity and the full detail is mostly just very close to the player and camera position. :)

Duncan and Dead End Thrills work on Origins and extending these distances and twitter reports on how unstable the game and game engine becomes and how hard it hits the GPU also clears up why it's so aggressive in culling and holding back detail even on PC.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Singleton99 and signex like this.

16. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Gotta stop playing this,going to buy it or keep uplay+ just for this.It has peaked my interest.I am enjoying it and I have not enjoyed any ghost recon game ever ,maybe i should go try GR wildlands again.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  17. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Wtf is with that jogging animation? It's like some with sagging pants and crap in their undies trying to cross the street before the traffic light turns green.

18. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Try Wildlands in coop, best game to fun with ever. Not sure how many times we almost died laughing when crashing our cars and planes.

19. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    No I am a weirdo,I do not have any friends across any platform Steam,EPIC,Uplay,Orgin,GOG,Bethesda.
    I did play Wildlands the first hour or so ,did not like it at all.Performance was bad but it looked good.Maybe the game is updated now and I can reinstall and try it out again,I do not mind being wrong and by the sounds of it ,the game could be fun.

20. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    Does it have the nice dark but not too dark nights like in Wildlands? Not sure I can tell from the videos. So many games have nights that are too light for me.