Tom’s Hardware Hits 4957.3 MHz with a Phenom II 940 CPU

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by YuKsS, Dec 16, 2008.

1. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    MD claims that the Phenom II can go as high as 6 GHz. This is insane as the cpu is stock clocked at 3 GHz. The trouble is that it is nearly impossible to keep the CPU under 70 Celsius.

Toms decided to futz with a pre-release Phenom II 940 and they were able to reach 4957.3 Mhz using liquid nitrogen to keep it cool. They ran some tests and it was stable.

How are we supposed to reach the 6 GHz mark that AMD claims is possible. Is this just possible in theory or has AMD done this somehow? Did they use frozen sweat from Jesus to keep it cool?

At any rate, the Phenom II is an overclocking beast and should be at least 40% faster than current AMD cpu’s. My favorite AMD CPU is still the Black Edition 6400+. That is a monster dual core for a good price. Maybe the Phenom II will be my new favorite AMD CPU.

[​IMG]

source

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/toms-overdrive-phenom-II,6702.html

2. agd900

agd900 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 XOC 1gig
    oooo thats nice i cant wait to get my hands on them and nice for a amd quad.

3. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    No just some of these.
    [​IMG]

4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Any idea on price for the p2 range?

5. Chris16v

Chris16v Member

GPU:
    Asus 770 GTX
    I'd be happy with 3.5ghz on air lol

6. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    The article didn't say they couldn't keep it below 70C; it said the processor locks up below -70C. So technically, they couldn't get the processor warm enough to go to 6ghz.

7. agd900

agd900 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 XOC 1gig
    lol why go that low and easy to warm it up lol

8. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    :bang:

It's Liquid nitrogen man. If you warm it up...you just have nitrogen.

9. wud03

wud03 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512MB @ 690/1188
    Impressive + we don't have to buy new mobo's like with i7 and it should be cheaper too (I hope).

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ and such has always been the case between Ford and Chev... ;)

About reaching 6GHz...AMD, nor anyone that has reviewed the new P2 has stated anywhere in any of their whitepapers/reviews/previews/tests that just anyone is going to reach 6GHz on these beasts...in fact, none of them are saying anything higher than 4.5GHz on air (and that's at the best case scenario)

But, the fact still remains - the new architecture is already 40% faster with a 40% power reduction over the current Phenom architecture - *without* having to overclock. Once you overclock a Deneb, that percentage increases exponentially.

But, just so everyone is aware, and you can say that you heard it here first, the CPU giants are moving away from sheer speed and more into just how many cores one can fit onto a single die...that's the way of the (current) future.
    Single core CPUs are officially dinosaurs. Quad-core computing is already commonplace - you can get laptops with quads in them nowadays, but we're just at the beginning of the 'Core Wars'. Leadership in the CPU market will soon be decided by who has the most cores, not who has the fastest clock speed.
    Packing more cores onto a single die will inevitably increase processing power and aid with multitasking operations and productivity. Smaller and smaller processing will be the key to cramming these cores into an already limited space.
    Nehalem is already in the marketplace, and 6 core Intels are hitting the shelves as the Dunnington comes around the turnpike - with the revision of the Nehalem available in flavors up to 8 cores.
    AMD's Montreal looks to be an 8 core beast of a processor, due out sometime in 2009.

That many cores requires a new way of dealing with memory - apparently you can't have 32 brains pulling out of one central pool of RAM, so the entire process is going to have to be revisited and reworked.

Chances are that Memristor circuits are going to fill the gap. It can 'remember' how much current has passed through it, unlike the current SSD technology, and by altering the amount of current that passes through it, a memristor can also become a one-element circuit component with unique properties. Most notably, it can save it's electronic state even when the current is turned of, making it a great candidate to replace today's flash memory. Memristors will theoretically be cheaper and fat faster than flash memory, and allow for greater memory densities. They could also replace RAM chips as we know them, so that after you turn off your computer, it will remember exactly what it was doing when you turn it back on and be able to return to work instantly.
    There is no real barrier preventing the implementation of the memristor in circuitry immediately. It's really up to the business side to push products through to commercial reality. Memristors made to replace flash memory will likely appear first. HP already has a goal t offer them by 2012. Beyond that, memristors will likely replace both DRAM and hard disks in the 2014 to 2016 time frame. Full memristor-based computers may take a bit longer.

...most of that information was pulled from some articles that I had read (can't remember where though). Very interesting time we live in indeed!

Psychlone

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008

11. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    If we can just get most software developers to stop being so damn lazy, and actually code with quads in mind, we might be able to enjoy our quads.

12. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Maybe if they had dropped the ht link they would have had some better luck. Many of the 6ghz runs have been with the ht link at 5-6x. SoF over on xtremesystems hit 5840 with his 940 on the foxconn board and was limited by the fact that he couldn't lower the link past 6x. I'll surely be putting a 940 on phase, and now that I have contacts I might eventually be doing some ln2 runs of my own when I don't have school to worry about.

That and its Toms, how much do they Really know when it comes to working with these cpu's?