Today i joined the red team.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by XenthorX, Dec 31, 2020.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I got my 5800X and Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming today, still waiting on the RAM and NH-D15 Chromax Black.

Undying and XenthorX like this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I'm using a H100X pump/radiator with my former H100i fans, stock PBO off i'm maxing out around 64°C-71°C depending on workload.

HARDRESET likes this.
  3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Congrats @TheDeeGee ! Looks like you're joining the team of peole waiting after ASUS Bios, they started rolling an update around christmas, it's been working like a charm for me so far (was a beta bios they removed since then).
    Think we're gonna have some fresh BIOS around january and be set for life ?

HARDRESET likes this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    It will be all new to me, i havn't looked into BIOS versions.

I just hope my system works when everything is plugged in.

XenthorX likes this.

5. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Love my Asus X570 Tuf that I got from Worst Buy store + 3950x (at stock) + bargain-bin 32gb (2x16gb dual rank) 3000mhz CL-15 memory, performs awesome for game development in the day and still powers through games like nobody's business at night. Absolutely thrilled with it.
    All while not roasting me out of the room the PC is in, which the Haswell PC I used to have absolutely loved to do.

I will agree, your old x99 system has plenty of good days left for it, just like my Haswell system does, functioning only as a heater when the room gets cold (oh, and the kid plays Minecraft on it now and then, to which I said 'fine, but don't break my heater').
    OK, so maybe it's good for more than just a heater, x99 has a lot more life left in it especially if you've got 8 cores or similar on it - but it will seem like it's not much more than a heater VS latest AMD offerings.

Originally had a 3700x + ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 X570 board but I hated that board, prayers were answered when the 3950x took out the ASRock board 2 months after going from 3700x to 3950x.
    Never did find any options to enable hot-plug sata on that ASRock board, but the ASUS works out of box with it, so very happy.
    Won't ever touch any ASRock board under a Taichi ever again. Serves me right for cheating on ASUS.

Micron memory can easily be overclocked if you leave the 3rd number in the timings alone, so if you have Micron RAM go for it.
    Save your BIOS settings to profile if you're worried about it resetting.

XenthorX likes this.
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Dude the only program I trust for temps on ryzen is 100% HWinfo. MSI AB seems to either not update fast enough and things seem hotter than they are or it shows the wrong temps. Ryzen master and HWinfo both show the same temps (within 0.5-1C margin of error) whereas MSI AB shows me at least 5-10C hotter. It must be getting a different temp from somewhere, probably the package and not the actual Tdie.

HWinfo gives you CPU (tctl/tdie), Die average, Tdie1 CCD1 and CDD2. My 5900X is currently sitting at 34C/29C/29C/27C respectively for those readings whilst in MSI AB its showing me 38C and bouncing to 44-46C even when there is nothing going on and the PC is idling. Maybe its showing averages or something I don't know. Ryzen master and HWinfo both seem to give the same results.

Anyway, I have my 5900X where I want it now I think. Might do some more testing though.

Here are my settings so far:

5900X 5.025GHz :D
    XMP enabled 3600MHz CL16
    Vcore -0.0500v negative offset
    LLC = Level 3
    PBO enabled
    fmax enabled
    PBO overclock = 200MHz
    CPPC enabled
    Preferred cores enabled
    Low Current Idle enabled
    Global cstates enabled
    DF states enabled

Getting boosts up to 5.025GHz (1-2 cores loaded), 4.55GHz all core (before it was 4.35GHz).

Voltages are now much lower at idle, down to as low as 0.150V averaging around 0.3-0.9v. At load volts hit around 1.35-1.45v

Also, nice stream of Star Citizen nice to see someone can actually run the game ;)

XenthorX likes this.
  7. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070 aurus
    what?
    Correct combination(s) of AGESA version?Just use the latest.
    chipset drivers version?Just use the latest.
    and power plans from AMD.The 5000 series uses just the win 10 power plan.
    I feel confident that you are also disgusted by the Amd control panel.
    I totally respect Intel and its products but it has stopped innovating in processors for years.
    And all I expect is competition from Intel, Amd or a third player would be the best.
    Screenshot 2020-12-17 092942.png

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I have completely turned to HWInfo for my CPU stats now, importing them into MSI Afterburner for overlay display, a great tool, surprised i didn't give it a shot earlier.
    Ryzen Master was installed for 15minutes, until i figured out HWInfo was reporting around the same temperature :D.

Looks like you figured out a great performance/cooling compromise, totally looking into a lower consumption profile for when i'm not streaming.
    So far Curve Optimizer is the tool i've been playing around, literally learned about it today!

HARDRESET likes this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    1. I was not fully serious and used emoji for that.
    2. I have seen many posts about testing various combinations of AGESA and chipset drivers and power plans, and about waiting for proper ones, just like this one (from this thread)
    I suspect you are correct about latest versions, but people will always search for ideal...

3. As for AMD control panel I don`t know what that is. Many years ago I used AMD videocard and control panel with videocard was a trash. I don`t know how is control panel now but I am pretty happy with NVIAID control panel (and profile inspector).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  10. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's not a matter of ideal really, coming from a 3900x (with toward the end decent bioses without any major issues) and going into 5900x and, 1.1.1.0 , it had issues. WHEA errors, lacking pbo2, random restarts (things that were absolutely the case with 3000 too early on).. It's just no good.
    1.1.8.0 was so buggy some board partners outright refused to release it for their boards, and now with 1.1.9.0 the only thing out there is early betas, basically barely tested rough first implementations that may or may not torture your system (some boards specifically with major such issues that have already forced withdrawal of said betas).

So.. yeah, not very good, heck im on gigabytes 1.1.1.0 patch d which doesnt even have a full non beta release just yet. It's rough atm.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Havn't gotten my RAM yet, but i've succesfully done a BIOS Flashback on my Asus board without a CPU installed.

Hopefully that got me ready for when the time comes :)

XenthorX likes this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I have started messing around with the Curve Optimizer, put a negative 30 all core offset with a PBO frequency +50Mhz (down from +200MHz when i first tried).
    Seem to be the best compromise so far.

HARDRESET likes this.
  13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Usually the first 30 seconds are bliss then it kicks in.

XenthorX likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I'm like that kid sitting at the window watching all the other kids playing outside.

HandR and XenthorX like this.
  15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    With current temp over europe, i'd say you win.

HARDRESET likes this.

16. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Amazeballs!
    I Have this CPU and a 3080
    What bios setting do have to run those high clocks and such good temps`?

I'm running a full custom water loop with CPU and a graphic card cooled by two 240 radiators, in a small Ghost Louqe MKIII case (I know)
    I did some bios settings to get my idle down to 45-50 celsius, but gaming runs 68-70, Godfall runs at 80 plus celsius. Not even Cinebench 23 runs that hot

17. bobnewels

bobnewels Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well I only have $40USD AIO and Temperatures were fine. Maybe try exchange CPU for another. I did have to move my radiator mount from top exhaust to front mount because Cinebench
    would be fine but PC gaming CPU got hot in long PC gaming sections. This would not effect you though ,I am just saying.

Anyway I did lots of testing and got up to 5200Mhz. I listed different BIOS setting in this thread Post#1 , Post#42
    You can set whatever you want and check stability. First off there are two different areas in all BIOS for PBO stuff.

In the AMD overclocking section ,go to PBO and set your AMD curve optimizer up- this will give you normal boost clock EG:5800X boost to 4850Mhz
    In this section you can add up to 200Mhz it is the same for all motherboards EG: 4850Mhz+200Mhz=5050Mhz

If you want higher CPU boost clocks then you need to goto the second area for PBO settings
    Advanced CPU Configuration set your PBO boost higher than 200Mhz like in the first section on MSI motherboards you can go as high as 500Mhz

To get 5100Mhz then set PBO here to 250Mhz
    So 4850Mhz+250Mhz= 5100Mhz
    save and test.

18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    I dont know about Europe but its a bit nippy in the UK....not quite freezing but it feel like it should be lol

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    XenthorX likes this.
  19. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti / 290X CFX
    Welcome aboard , still waiting for a 3080Ti .
    upload_2021-1-6_4-40-29.png

XenthorX likes this.
  20. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    @HARDRESET : *drop the mic*

That's some insane scores you got there. (and strong Paint skills too for the highlights :D)

Got to use some fancy PBO setup for that? Curve Optimizer?
    How are your temperatures?

With Curve Optimizer overclocking i went up to 85°C at some point (CPU Die Average). Doubt a simple AIO would cut it for an overclocked 5950X.

HARDRESET likes this.