To upgrade or not to upgrade ...?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by greengiant71, Oct 29, 2013.

1. greengiant71

greengiant71 Member

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    I have a dilemma and would like some advice, as most know BF4 is out now and it's poppin. I can play on high settings quite well, but recommended requirements state that a 6 core CPU is needed. My mainboard is a NF750-g55 and CPU AMD Phenom II x4 95 (OC to 3.6) which puts me right about a small smidget above the minimum requirements.

Do i really need to upgrade my CPU that much? , or would a AMD FX-4130 Zambezi 3.8GHz Socket AM3+ Quad-Core help, the only other option I have to upgrade given my mainboard will only upgrade to this CPU.

:bang: any suggestions would help

2. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Oh no no, I could not recommend the 4130. There is no reason to buy a Zambezi now, when the Vishera improvements are solid and well documented. If you must upgrade now, rather than wait for AMD's Steamroller roadmap accouncement, I would recommend the FX-8320 with a bit of an overclock. If that's a budget stretch, get the 6350. That way you'd atleast be rocking the 6-core and would have a fairly high clock right out of the box.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nah TH benchmarks are laughable tbh.....10fps between an i3 and Phenom II and FX and i7? lol right...

i3 is equal to a Phenom II in BF3/4 mp because they both quadcores and Frostbite is highly multithreaded......

[​IMG]

OP either way I would not upgrade a system just for one game, especially not till the bugs have been removed at least.

Overclock that 955 to 4GHz in the meantime.....

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Agreed on Toms Hardware, but i3's are dual cores with HT afaik.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's a quad as far as the OS is concerned. Windows can't tell the difference between real cores and virtual cores.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Real cores are always better though.

8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    But not as far as performance or reality is concerned.

http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/

Definitely. I wouldn't say no to HT for the right price, though.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Hmm? Just that Windows showing something as a specific number of cores doesn't really mean much. I wasn't getting at you or anything, if that's what you're thinking.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol...and you have an i5? And no I don't think you're getting at me...;)

If it didn't matter or wasn't relevant Intel never would have implemented it on the i7's etc.

The whole point of HT is it allows simultaneous multithreading- so an i3 with HT on can execute 4 threads, same as a CPU with 4 real cores.

HT OFF = 2 cores/2 threads.
    HT ON = 2 cores/4 threads.

That's why Cinebench and games like BF3/4 run better on Intel processors with HT ON vs HT OFF.

Now here comes the "but".... BUT- some software doesn't take advantage or isn't coded or for whatever reason isn't optimized for HT, so in some cases you get better results with HT turned off..... but this is the exeption to the rule.

But really, ask TK or anyone else with HT and hear wat they have to say about multi threading..

12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I know what HT is and have done since it was first introduced over ten years ago. My point was not that HT is irrelevant, not sure where you're getting that from. My point was that Windows showing something as a full core is not a real indication of the hardware used.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So what? Not sure where you're going with that comment, obviously Task Manager is not an indication of the actual hardware, and I never said it was.

What I did not say; "if Windows displays 4 cores in Task Manager then your CPU has 4 real cores".

What I did say; "Windows can't tell the difference between real and virtual cores".

Who cares if the 4 cores in Task Manager includes 2 HT cores, that's still 2 more than it has with HT turned off.

Seems like you're splitting hairs imho.....?

14. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I could have made the splitting hairs comment myself when you made the statement that "It's a quad as far as the OS is concerned." You're getting a tad highly strung mate, not sure why. Maybe I'm being a tad literal or something, haven't slept since Saturday.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Which was in reply to your comment to me "Agreed on Toms Hardware, but i3's are dual cores with HT afaik."

Well that says it all.....

No I'm not not highly strung, but I am getting pretty annoyed with this seemingly pointless nitpicking.

You came at me remember? -all because I referred to an i3 (HT ON) & 955 X4 as (shock/horror!!!:gape:) "Quad Cores"!! all for the sake of simplicity and the topic at hand; BF4's multithreading optimizations.

Everyone knows the i3 is a freakin dual core with HT -even me.... my 3rd rig is actually an i3 2130/B75 believe it or not. However in the context of my earlier post it is in fact a QUAD CORE.

So chill.....and get some sleep, that's what I am about to do..

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    get the 4670K best cpu per price. i had the Phenom II X4 965 and my core i7 is light years ahead of this, actually the PHII are weak cpus, at least in my opinion.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wow the 2700k is light years ahead? That's amazing...could it be because the i7 is 3yrs newer than the X4 and can run twice as many threads? Hmm I wonder....

And 4670k does not seem to be the best for the money where BF4 is concerned.....just stating the obvious.

Considering the 4670k is $330 and the 8320 is $200, which CPU do you think represents better value from the results below? And when I say 8320 - I'm looking at the 9370.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just to correct the above, most with i7 turn ht off in bf3/4, in fact, in a lot of games ht isn't worth the hassle, hence people turning it off.

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    4670K is $330? Don't you mean 4770K?

The 4670K can be overclocked as well.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well we must have different sources because according to everything I've seen or read, even with BF3...most were recommending HT be left on......

It would be silly to disable it anyway since BF4 uses 8 cores, why would someone with a 2600K disable HT?

[​IMG]