To upgrade or not to upgrade 5770 to 6850

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CorNeLL, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Stanleyxd

Stanleyxd Member

GPU:
    HD 5770
    i am upgrading from a single 5770 to a Crossfirex 6850, expected delivery date 11/09/2010 CoD black ops launch :banana:

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    /\ nice call.. good choice, new card and cod7 - WIN!

I imagine yer right dc probably holding it back a bit.. though even when I play dx9 with very high I get 35-55 and it still feels stuttery and unsmooth. Such a shame it isnt better optimized, I hate playing fps when framerates are so low.. its a real distraction for me

3. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    After seeing your configuration and what games you aim to play at max settings, i must say that you DO NOT have to upgrade to a 6850 just because it's something new and chique in the gaming era, but you must understand that you can't always buy things everytime they come out just because it's hip.
    My advice: use your current setup and keep the details at an acceptable measure so that the framerate is smooth.
    And another thing: your rig will run these games at a solid 50 if you don't force too many unnecesary effects on them.
    I play Blood Stone 007 on max at 1440x900 with 2X AA with a framerate varying from 40-60 with Vsync on and believe, my videocard SHOULD suck because of what the reviewers said about it, and you should try and care more about the components you will buy in the future:buy long lasting and reliable at performance parts, not everything that's new and shiny means that it's the best...
    God, why do i always put my soul in these posts, forgive for my long response, but it's a good lesson!

4. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850 DC V2
    @stenelaus

I understand what you are saying pal and believe me that is what I've been doing for the last 3 years, 4 months ago i upgraded from a X1900XT that i bought from a fellow guru here on the forums (Flashnc) my Phenom II X4 arrives tomorrow and right now im using my trusty 6000+ X2.

since i move to my 24'' monitor my old hardware isn't cutting it anymore thats why i bought the 5770.

and about this

I don't buy every hardware that gets release that why i wanna upgrade to the 6850 cuz it's cheap and it has a really good performance so i can stretch the life of my rig a couple of years more at least.

Thanks for the input pal.

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ no in your case CorNell you'd do good to get the upgrade since you're playing on a 24 right.. I mean I prefer to play at 1900x1200 native on my 24, why go less? I would only go less if my card couldn't cut it. And in many cases I was finding that with the 5770 I would turn up all settings in game (whichever game) and if performance suffered I would a) take the res down and leave options set to higher or b) leave res where it was but turn down all the other settings until there was a good balance. This normally would not even include AA since that would be already too much for the card to handle.

Now with the 6870 I can leave any game at 1900x1200 and in most cases crank up AA without it being too much of a hit while maintaining decent frames. I'm actually not used to this, I always am used to having to turn AA off since in the past it was always such a huge hit to performance. I should mention I have not really tried morphAA at all yet.

So yeah, in your case with the 24 an upgrade makes a lot of sense. I think you made the right choice.

6. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    CorNeLL, i didnt realise that you were on a 24" monitor.
    then a powerfull graphic card IS recommended for the use of such a big screen, and i saw this card in action, now all i can say is DO IT!