To upgrade my PC or buy PS4... $400 to allocate

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by the_4ork, Oct 18, 2013.

1. the_4ork

the_4ork Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    So... hypothetically speaking (and forgive me if this has been covered already, im sure great minds think alike)

If i had $400 to burn a hole....

my computer is from 2008, and parts of it were form 2004... so its been a while since i have upgraded

im @ dual core 7750, radeon 4850x2, 4bg ddr 2 :( and the worst part, 37gb raptor raid as my os drive, and a 320gb storage drive from a laptop.

but i have a 37" LCD tv as a monitor :p which... i like... actually.

NOW... to the meat and potatoes.

My ps3 still plays current brand new games, and does it pretty well. My PC does NOT play current games, and hasnt for a while. my best current game is black ops, and starcraft II, and black ops looks as good if not better on my ps3...

so longevity wise, the ps3 has done very well...

now could i spend $400 on an upgrade to my pc to last as long as a PS4? even with the same hardware or better than the PS4 its a NO...

i just cant seem to justify dropping $400 into pc components to match a PS4 and then only to have the same thing happen down the road. instead of buying the PS4 and playing current games 4 years from now, i'll be barely playing current games 4 years from now with the settings turned all the way down, whilst the ps4 plays them flawless and looks better.

im just a keyboard/mouse kind of guy but im thinking about completely going away from PC gaming (cept maybe starcraft) and just getting a PS4, doing maybe a moderate upgrade at some point to my PC with last generation parts on clearance.

thoughts?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Buy a ps4. You'll need a lot more than to compete with ps4 when it comes to gaming.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    this ^^

For $400 you can get a PS4, but if you save a little more you could get the Killzone:SF bundle. You get the console, the game, two controllers, and I think the Playstation Camera as well for about $50-$80 more maybe $100 more but still its well worth it.

4. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You might be able to grab a Phenom II X6 (best CPU your mobo supports according to Asrock's website) for around $50 second hand if you're lucky, if so I'd do that and grab a PS4. It'd inject a little more life into your PC, that X2 is probably your biggest problem.

5. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    ^ This! I didn't check out your mobo, but assuming Darkest is on the money, this CPU would be a huge upgrade over your X2. Athlon X2's are bottlenecking beasts these days and the 1090T is still a solid performer by todays standards.

6. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
  7. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580
    PS4, you could buy a 2nd hand phenom II for your PC and overclock it (SC2 is single threaded)

8. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    I would buy console ! I cant say a name yet because even tho it look like ps4 has the edge , the 32 mb of ram on cpu is probably doing a lot more then just say its good ! the main question is will ms run message signal interrupt in there or somewhere else in cpu .if they don't have to go to ram,and if ms set msi to 1 msi per cpu core ?I think ms as the upper hand by a huge margin ! but we ll have to wait till proper testing are out ! but in my book wich ever ends up being better console is definitely the best path!

9. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Two options: save more or buy the PS4.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Agreed. You need a complete upgrade which costs more than $400, unfortunately video cards are artificially priced extremely high right now since nVidia decided to just throw a $1000 price tag out there and see how people respond.

There's going to be console exclusive games anyway, go with the PS4.

11. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Disagree. He could use a complete upgrade, but does he really need it? Not really, if he pops a Phenom x6 in there. Darkness and I agree - he could throw a 1090T in that socket for massively improved performance AND get a PS4. Both problems solved.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    If he gets a 1090T he'll be GPU bottlenecked, then if he gets any new GPU he'll be severely CPU bottlenecked. Complete upgrade or nothing IMO.

13. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    That really depends on the titles he plays, he seems to be an RTS fan for example, most of which are far more CPU bound than GPU. For the sake of 50 bucks I'm of a mind that it'll be a hefty improvement in almost everything he does, his current CPU is absolutely terrible. You're also way over exaggerating regarding 'any new GPU being severely bottlenecked' if he does put down money for a CPU update, that just isn't true. It's not like anyone is going to recommend that he runs out the door and buys a 780ti or 290X.

14. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    well consoles usually break down after a few years, especially if you are heavy gamer. I would atleast wait a year or two before getting a new console. Unless there is something you want on pc you cant play right now I would just wait. Or like others have said, you could probably get a much better cpu for well under $100

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    A PS4 won't cost $400 flat unless you can get it without tax :p
    If you can save up $500 then you can easily build a good gaming rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161443
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

~$480 including shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234

Stepping up to Intel would bring the price to $535

As far as storage is concerned, there's a lot of ways you can go about it. But, generally speaking, you can pick up a 1TB HDD for less than $75

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W00YU4026

Regardless if you go with AMD or Intel, that kind of system will last at least a good few years as long as you don't mind not maxing games out. The HD4870 I have in my clunker is still doing a pretty good job running most games at acceptable quality.

But of course, if the price is hard to swallow, then pick up a PS4...in the future :p
    A lot of the big PS4 games are also coming to the PS3, so there's no real point to jumping ship on that just yet.

16. the_4ork

the_4ork Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    my original "fat" ps3 from (2007?) is still working and gets at least an hour of use per day. (and a lot of Netflix time)

17. the_4ork

the_4ork Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    really like the phenom II x6 idea...

what single card could I pick up used for cheap, would be a great upgrade to my 4850x2?

because sometimes xfire just doesn't work great.

And one game i'd love to be able to play is Day Z on the arma 2 engine, which is basically un-playable on my PC. And now Arma3 is out, and im hoping the Day Z mod follows (cause its kinda clunky on arma2)

18. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Phenom II x6 + R9-270 should be a beastly upgrade that'll fit your $400 budget.

19. LordKweishan

LordKweishan Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 TOP
    1) That CPU will bottleneck that graphics card.

2) Older motherboard with 4GB only of DDR2. Other issues are bound to crop up too.

3) Performance won't be nearly as good as a PS4.

4) PS4 adds value with the BluRay player, minimal noise and ease of use.

5) Cost of PS4 is actually $340 if you subtract the controller which is $60.

I recommend getting the PS4, or at the very least WAIT to see what it is going to offer. Many games are going to run very nicely on it and if you ever decide to get back into PC gaming maybe save up and build a completely NEW system.

There are some interesting ideas coming for the PC such as the Steambox, Steam controller, G-Sync for monitors etc so the situation in a couple years might be quite a bit different.

GTAV on PS4:
    This game on the PS4 is going to look and run great. Much better than if you upgrade your old system.

20. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Well congrats, doesnt mean the machines are built to last. They are cheaply made and most of them do break down after a few years. The newer slim models seem to be a little better, and maybe the ps4 will be too... I would still wait and see. Look at the 360s...