to the disappointed crysis players w 8800s

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Broseybrose, Dec 4, 2007.

1. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    This thread seems to me to be completely pointless (no offense to the thread starter)...I don't know why you'd need to make people "feel better" because they can't run a game at ultra high settings and all that.
    I'm a geek as much as the next guy but come on do people really need to feel better because their card can't play games at expected settings?
    Anywho, to all the people complaining about performance wait until they release the patch (which EA says will improve performance) which should be coming soon.

As ElementalDragon said Crysis isn't the first game to be released that couldn't be played at ultra high settings.

2. lgkaks

lgkaks Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870X2
    What is a spin-off? Hope this helps bro!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinoff

3. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    i dunno, i guess ive just seen one too many crysis performance threads with people either questioning their hardware, or just outright complaining... and in turn ended up creating one more... haha...

ill tell you what though, i certainly did not expect the reaction i got. usually people are intelligent and civil in these forums... i mustve commited some faux pas that i cannot see? or maybe the people who got nasty with me are just huge fans of the game? but i did not expect hostility and condescension, which is what i mostly got.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  4. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Another vote for Vista here. Running 64bit Home Premium. Runs great on my rig. And Crysis has good framerates (cept for snow and carrier level) for me at 1680x1050 with everything on Very high, except shaders on medium. and water on high. Sure, I love all the HDR with high and very high shader settings. But for one, the performance hit is pretty big. And another thing is that while looking great, it doesn't look realistic. When I walk outside in rl, everything doesn't glow from the sun like that. But that's just my personal taste.

And yeah, the Vista bashing is getting pretty old. Sure, you really need a decent rig to run it how it was meant to be run. But so what? That's the nature of the beast. Honestly, I've come to enjoy Vista more than I ever did XP. It just feels better. Hard to explain. And I have ZERO driver issues. The only time I ever get bsod, is from toying with my cpu/mem speed trying to get more out of it than what I already have.

5. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    played crysis, and frankly, it didnt have the same feel as far cry.
    Forget the specs. Im used to new games never running on current hardware at super uber settings. to be expected.
    What bugs me though, is that they made people judge games far too much on graphics. This rush after SM, PS, DX10.1 and so on is all good, but it should never be the point of a game.

It dissapointed me for the same reason BIOSHOCK did.A very pretty game, not revolutionary as I expected.

PS: As a software integrator for the last 5 years , I have to say that Vista is not accepted not because XP fanboys dont want to install it.
    It's because IT pro's all over the world are simply dissapointed in a myriad of bad functionality it offers. When you try to convince any company's IT guy to upgrade to vista you gotta convince him that XP wont cut it, and vista will do newer and better things. So far, none of the 40+ major firms i work with hasnt moved to vista. And thats what counts my friends. Slideshows and weather is nice, but it's not what counts.
    I wanted to post some articles about it, but cant be bothered.
    Just google vista acceptance among IT managers. See what you get :)

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Slam: i'm assuming that by not seeing everything glow when you walk outside, you mean you don't see everything go extremely bright, and then gradually dim again. If that's the case..... A) you CAN see that.... if you go from somewhere pitch black, out into bright lights or into sunlight. it'll be bright enough to hurt for a second or two. the reason you don't really notice it nearly as much as it's shown in Crysis and other HDR-enabled games..... is because we have eyelids...... our first-person view in games don't. People were always whining about motion blur... saying it's not realistic..... but it is. the more quickly you turn in real life, the less detail you see in stuff that is in your line of sight. only way to really do that in a game was to blur it a bit.

7. Broseybrose

Broseybrose Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    i kinda dont dig the motion blur myself (love the volumetric effects though)... i mean, when you turn fast in RL it isnt as if your eyes actually go blurry like the screen does... but i still use it. i think the problem in games is that the motion blur is too pronounced... im sure theyll perfect it over time.

i also am enjoying vista more than i ever did xp... in the beginning i had to fight the urge to revert, but now i could never go back.

8. SuperDave23414

SuperDave23414 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    well i for one am not an IT professional so what i need vista for it works better than XP and looks pretty doing it. and all i need it for is term papers and games and its way easier to figure out than XP for me and it performs well IMO hasnt given me one problem since i switched from XP which may be a better OS for software development but....do the companies need eye candy and do IT managers need eye candy and Dx10? no

9. hitman1303

hitman1303 Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 3 gig dead!
    Actually Ubi Soft is taking Far Cry 2 another path, Far Cry 2 has no relationship to Far Cry 1 at all in any aspect. In farcry 2 you play a mercenary who is going to kill rival War Lords trying to start up another evil civil war persay.

10. DayDreamer

DayDreamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 @900,4300@1100mV
    What's the big deal about Crysis? I didn't like the demo and will NOT buy the game or spending $$$ on video card for it. UT3's good enough for a long time.

11. The Fallen

The Fallen Maha Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    I'll play Crysis when I get myself a 10 series, It's just not very fun playing most of the game lagging

12. Retrolock

Retrolock Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Lol, half of the people posting here haven't even played the full game of Crysis lol. Come on man wtf??

13. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    I don't understand the disappointment of many here. Crysis is a great game, with real action, great sound and immersive environment in all aspects.

If some "can't" play it at 1024x768 "because it's too low" it's not Crytek's fault really.

I really don't get it... some people here seem to express the idea that they bought a 8800 believing it's some kind of wildcard that allows them to play the most advanced games of today at 1920x1200 with AAx16.

14. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    you know I kinda lost the point of this thread back then.
    Do I like crysis or not? Hmm, I gotta set a reminder to find out.

Basically it boils down to this. Games like crysis server us ALL by pushing the industry forward and end users like most of us here.Because of uber games like that cards become more powerfull and cheaper.
    Other companies go for the masses, and check what is the most common card around ( like valve ) and point their software there.
    That is why half life episode 2 looks really nice, but not ground breaking by any means.

So, the argument / convincing here is not about wether the makers of Crysis were smart about doing what they did, but wether are you a casual gamer willing to let go of the super high end hardware and enjoying games without sparkling leaves, or do you HAVE to have the best AA/AF Shader model etc.

Crysis is nice. I like it.
    Crysis is overhyped, i hate it. There, I took both sides now i am gonna beat myself up for being a Fanboy / Gaming idiot.

15. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Double post..Move on

16. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    I Disagree..... The problem is, Vista demands a high end PC to run good.... If you don't have one, your pissed at Vista and slam it.

If your a big company, you dont want to spend the dough to upgrade systems.

Point is Vista is a new level..... You either are in a position to integrate into your high end rig and love it, or be pissed that its slow in your mid to low end rig and stick with XP.

Which is fine, but for god sakes, quit bashing Vista because your in the position where you can't see vista the way its supposed to be seen.

The same people who bitch about Vista, did the same thing back in the day about XP, believe me!!!!

17. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Lol Blame it all on Vista !...

I think the 8800's are more then capable to produce playable framerates. But its the rest of your system that counts too!. People tend to forget that.

Not trying to bragg or something but look at my system, with the benchmarks from the final release of crysis i get: GPU=41.32 and CPU=40.55.
    That is at everything high and 1440x900 ( I know 19'' widescreen sucks ) but it plays so smooth, ok im using XP atm.

But i think with the upcoming patch and some Vista driver improvements DX10 will be faster.

Edit: Yes i do own a copy of Vista Premium x64 and yes i have it installed. Dual-Boot ftw !

18. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    it's faster now, at least for my rig...

Huge difference in speed between the DX9 and 10 for me. Not to mention the eye candy.

19. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Wow you sure ?! Tried to run Crysis x64 with everything on High and 1440x900. It was 6fps slower in the benchmarks and ingame its FUBAR!. Hickups for like 2 sec the whole game, Hangs for like 15 sec ( Tank level ). Using 163.09 for Vista and 163.04 for XP.
    Vista is a clean install of me, no virusscanner, no software installed.... Only game is Crysis atm. Everything is tweaked and optimized.

The only '' real '' difference between our systems is that you have 4GB of ram. Maybe its time to upgrade once again :p..

20. Arch.nMe

Arch.nMe Member

GPU:
    XFX.8800GT.XXX.670/1950
    Running fine here, no probs at all. With a bit of tweaking here n there its lookin` the dogz bawllox. Custom configs ftw. Not once during play did i think i was missing out on eye candy.