to open box, or not to open box

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Captain Obvious, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 460 GTX
    I was thinking of getting an open box motherboard from the egg. How have your experiences been with open boxes off the egg? Was looking at an asus m4n98td evo. Advice would be helpful. Do the open boxes come with the I/O shields usually? How Bout the other stuff? I do have an asus board now so i got the quick connect but my extra ports have gone bad. Am i shooting myself in the foot for $45?

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    They usually do not come with anything, not even I/O shields.

Depending on the price difference, and what you have laying around, it can still be a good deal. I/O shields can usually be bought from manufacturers (check first) for the shipping cost.

If you have SATA cables and whatnot handy, then open box can be a steal.

3. Good experiences with open box from newegg every time here, just know you probably won't get anything but the product (no accessories)

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I got an open box ASUS M3A78-EM but it wasn't at NewEgg, got it from my local Canada Computers store. It came with everything except that stupid system bell, now I can't find where to get one.

deltatux

5. Captain Obvious

GPU:
    PNY 460 GTX
    Well it Shipped from the Egg this morning. Just gotta wait now. On a side note i called asus and they didn't have part numbers for it yet. So what could one sub for a I/O shield if it dont got one?

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you know how to drill metal sheets, you can take a piece of aluminium and just drill the holes where it's required since that's what an I/O shield really is.

deltatux

7. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    is this what you mean? http://www.on2tech.com/casp.html

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yep, but I need to get it locally lol, doesn't make sense to pay so much for shipping for such a small object.

deltatux

9. crazylocha

crazylocha Member

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Usually is hit or miss on the small components. The Eggs RMA process states you do not get full credit if you dont include everything that came with originally. Supposed to make sure so anyone getting open box gets all the parts. Don't think anyone really checks. I have gotten several items Open Box without a problem, think they do check if stuff works. Have been able to get registered warranty from manufacturers every time. That part is nice. Got my 5770 at half price that way. Just have to watch savings vs. free shipping etc. on new.

10. Captain Obvious

GPU:
    PNY 460 GTX
    I got an asus board now so i got the quick connector and a firewire and usb back panel things, but i got bad dust prob so the I/O shield would be nice. Guess if it comes down to it i'll be making an I/O shield out of duct tape.