To create a indie game

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vejn, Mar 21, 2014.

1. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    To create an indie game

I'm hyped to create a game.
    I already had UDK tutorials but I'm wondering which editor is the easiest to use
    UDK or Cryengine Sandbox?

Can you use maps, characters in content browser/asset browser for your game or you have to make your own?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    Unity3D :)

3. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I had in mind an indie game like RAGE. Can this be done in unity?

4. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    It can be done in Unity (I mean, why not?).

As for assets, some engines do give out some super generic freebies but they are pretty bad. So if you want anything decent you have to get them on your own somehow.

Are you leading a team or is this solo project? If solo then "RAGE-like" sounds unrealistically ambitious.

5. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    For now solo but I have friends who are interested for helping out.
    I would like to make a city like Wellspring, characters and quests for the beggining. Can you suggest some video tutorials?

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4350
    I hear many swear by unity.

7. Ouzo

Ouzo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_(video_game)

You mean this game? And how fully functional / polished game are you aiming for? If just some dude walking around and shooting stuff, ok fine.

Complete, polished game, your first game? If so, I don't know how to say this constructively and nicely, so I just say it: don't.

I'll give you some links to a "failed" kick starter project, and the blog post of the project lead. And mind you, he was somewhat experienced:

http://kotaku.com/kickstarter-game-..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/news/super-action-squad-is-being-put-on-hold

Especially read the blog, to see how the amount of the work can completely surprise one, who doesn't have experience in making one before.

I'm not saying this to put down your dreams, but just to make absolutely sure you realize the realities of creating a game. I work in gaming industry and making even a simple looking game, polished and complete is a HUGE task for a single person.

If however, you have nothing else to do, you have 12 hours a day, for next 5 years, go ahead and try to achieve your dream :) Nothing is stopping you.

And if you need any tips, PM me and I'll try to guide to right direction to get you started.

8. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    I have a full time job. I just want to learn a part of it. I have gone through UDK tutorials. I don't know if start learning in Unity, Cryengine sandbox or continue with UDK?

It would be nice that next generation of children could learn some engine on informatics class.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    I can understand your hype about making your first game, I had that feeling before, more than a 1/4 of century ago when I was making my first steps in programming, first build-just-by-my-own games and programs just for me and my friends for C-64 and Amiga 500, but...

But sadly I must agree with Ouzo: it's not easy and definitely it's not one-man-job. Most of single/home developers ended with half-done projects, huge amount of wasted time and money and half-ruined social life. To make an indie game these days you need a small team of dedicated people who are willing to sacrifice sometimes even more than 10, 15 hours each single day maybe for next few months to make something usefull and MAYBE gain some some profit out of it.

Before you make a potential mistake of your life I suggest you to spend some time reading and informing yourself about what is needed these days to make and (successful) indie game. If you think you can do that and you are prepared to sacrifice a huge part of your life to do a job propperly then OK, go for it! But PLEASE don't do it alone, it's disaster waiting to happen!!!

Whatever you decide I wish you luck, follow your dream...

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    why not pick a moddable game and build something amazing for it? you get the basic same experience but way less complex to get into do something small and work your way up?

you heard often enough of modders going onto work in the games industry. doing stuff for valve or bethesda.

a whole game form scratch may seem like a grand idea but yea with games dev cycles being 5 10 dnf 15 years. even mods many go dead due to over ambition, you going to quit your job? do like that one couple did making a game go live ina tree house with some batteries and a hand generator so you can afford to make your game at all? dont even know if they succeded or failed but they gave up everything in order to work on a little indy game.

a long hard road to hoe that is for sure no matter what you decide.