TJ07 Dual Loop SLI Project!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MikeMK, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Barbs and Operating Systems?

I hate to mess up Mikes thread proving you wrong so I decided to send PM instead, lol! Just kidding around but just last night I tried installing G1/4" metal barbs (purchased from frozencpu) onto my Swiftech MCW-30 chipset block but the Swiftech threads seem larger because the metal barbs didn't really "catch" into the threads correclty? On the other hand I've been able to install the nylon Swiftech barbs into my native G1/4" blocks with no problems? So although they will "fit" I certainly wouldn't feel confident using it because of leaks!

With that all said I've got some other questions to run by you John, hopefullly you have some time to reply? It is in regards to Operating Systems and WinXP Pro 64-bit and Win Server 2003 64-bit. Do you happen to know anything about them? I ask because I've talked with some hardcore benchers/overclockers at XS who swear that those 2x Operating Systems are far more stable and give better performance than WinXP 32-bit despite the driver issues/or lack of driver support for 64-bit system. Does that make any sense to you or is it all BS?

Last but not least do you know if it's still possible to get either of those operating sytems anymore? I went to Microsoft's website but didn't have much luck figureing out how/where to get them? Thanks for your help John and sorry to ask such a long question!

Roger

2. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    Hey guys... getting real close to completion now! Both loops are complete:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I'm amazed at how much more work is needed when adding a second loop, crazy! Do you have any idea how many ft/yds or tubing you ended up using Mike? So are you ready to start add water to the loop are is there more to get done first (how much longer before your actually fire it up)?

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well Roger, they're supposed to fit, so you have nothing to fear. Don't your metal barbs also have rubber gaskets to prevent leaks? If you indeed have G1/4", I would have no second thoughts using them.

As for the OS thing I have to disappoint you - I don't really have any idea. I know benchers have sworn to the Server OS' for many years, and I don't doubt them when they say they are able to get better performance out of it. But I'm not sure if it's worth it for normal usage... XP 64 is as far as I know a very well functioning OS by now. Driver support for 64bit is apparently not a problem any more. I haven't tried it as I primarly use Vista x64 for day to day usage, but my mate is using it, and he has had no problems with it.

I would think atleast XP64 should still be available in retail, but I don't know as I use alternative sources to obtain operating systems...

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    I think there is around 14ft of tubing in there... which is a hell of alot. Largely because of having to run tubing down the length of the rads before going up to the blocks.

In terms of firing it up... i gotta just wire everything up, fill and test and then its done! :)

6. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hey Mike, do you only have room for one HDD now? Or are you able to squeeze more drives in there?

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    John - I have 2 HDD's in there... above the HDD racks there was enough space for another drive, so I drilled some additional holes up there so I could mount a drive. Concequently im selling my 3 drives, and getting 2 larger ones - Segate 7200.11 500gb ones - so I have 1TB of storage.

I know your hunger for storage space ;) but 1TB is plenty for me! LOL!

8. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    actualy looks very tidy to say you have two full loops in there. only amatures put the rad out side the case (sorry anyone has has the rad outside the case lol)

9. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
    @Roger: I would be willing to bet those tube coils would fit on 3/4" OD :).

10. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    They do them in different sizes, and you can get them for 3/4" OD tubing, but, in the UK at least they are extremely difficult to find. Certainly a good idea if you can get your hands on em though.

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    looking at this makes me want to go back to water cooling lol

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The 5/8" OD coils fit fine on 3/4" OD tubing. I've tried it myself once.

13. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    Ahh... cool, i didnt realise that. The 5/8" OD is easier to get hold of!

14. volcom

volcom Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX XXX 7900GTX @ 749/1927 VX2025VM
    Hey John, Have fun if you need to take one of the gpu's out or if your mobo fries MWAHHHHAHAHAHA, lol, just kidding, but that would be a trip and a half.

15. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080Ti
    yeah, thats what i hate about watercooling. something goes wrong its just another project. =/

16. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks for the info John, much apprecaited! Also guys thanks for verifying that the tubing coils will indeed work on 3/4" OD tubing! Like Mike said, even here in the States the 3/4" OD coils are hard to comeby and even if places do have them their always sold out! Can't wait Mike to see the finished project, I don't think I only speak for myself either! I bet its up and running as we speak?

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080Ti
    Not yet... the wiring was taking forever last night, and i had to give up for the night. Just about to get started tonight. Hopefully will get it filled and leaktested before the evenings over :)

18. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    i was just thinkin how i will never use it again. its too exspensive for the performance gains and takes too much time to clean out and add new tubes ect. the only way i found to totaly clean out the fins of a rad is to put the shower through it (off the loop of course ;) ) wich takes hours of work on its own. the best part is of course building the thing the first time after the tenth time i dont want to know.

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Watercooling is about more than the results, atleast in my opinion. It becomes like a hobby within a hobby, and you end up spending silly amounts of time and money to shave off those last 2c. It's never done and you always hunt for new ways of improving the loop. In my opinion it's all worth it, because it's so much fun. And of course, you also get a very cool running PC at very low noise levels. Lovely :)

20. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I could not have said it any better myself!