TJ07 Dual Loop SLI Project!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by MikeMK, Oct 27, 2007.

1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Hi Mate,

I am not using EK's, Im using thermochill rads - a PA120.3 and a PA120.2. IMO, they are the best rads on the market in terms of performance and I personally would choose any alternatives.

If you were looking for a cheaper value alternative, or a slimline rad to fit in small spaces, then I'd go for a Swiftech MCR series rad tbh.

2. liguhy

liguhy Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    My fault, I meant XSPC 250 Passive Reservoir - sorry for the confusion.

On a brief side note before I post back to the reservoir question, It is nice to know you prefer Thermochills. I heard they perform best with low-rpm fans (like <1200rpm). I've also heard about static pressure being very important for densely-finned radiators like the Black Ice series - I assume Thermochill is NOT included in this group (assuming I'm right about the low-rpm fans). I'm looking for a 4-fan radiator to put in the bottom, so unfortunately Thermochill isn't an option. Feser and Black Ice both came out with 140mm fan models that i'm interested to see if they'll fit in the bottom of a TJ07. I don't know Feser's dimensions, but here's the Black Ice GTX 560 dimension specs from their website: http://www.hwlabs.com/images/stories/gt/dimensions/d_gtx560.jpg [​IMG]

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    The blackice GTX quad rad WILL fit in the bottom of the TJ07, but to be honest, despite the extra fan they dont really perform any better than the thermochill 120.3, as the thermo is a much more efficient design, plus as u mentioned, u can use lower CFM, and as a result quieter fans with it.

4. liguhy

liguhy Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Bit more about radiators

That answers my fan density question quite concisely, thankyou. Since I don't look to max out a 3 or 4 fan radiator cooling capacity (especially since I'm going to get a high-quality pump and 1/2" tubing), any 3 or 4 fan radiator will perform great and with negligible differences for practically all my forseable upgrading needs. It is nice to know what to get (and the technical reasons why) for a lower noise. It sure would be nice if Thermochill added at least a 4x 120mm fan radiator to their proven lineup.

I did a simple Google search on "Feser radiator fan density" and found a retailers product description and forum post describing Feser's fan density, which I remember being modeled after Thermochill's low-density design.

Feser X-Changer Description:
    http://www.petrastechshop.com/fexdu12ra.html
    Extreme performance, quiet operation - these are the two most sought after properties of cooling that we all look for. It is very difficult to maintain a high level of performance without sacrificing low-noise operation (i.e. stronger fans) however the folks over at Feser have developed a radiator that will be sure to satisfy even the toughest critics in water-cooling. Much like the Thermochill PA120 series, the Feser X-Changer series are heavy duty, dual row, dual pass radiators that perform extremely well with even the quietest fans. Also similar to the PA120 series, the X-Changers allow more flow then traditional computer radiators and their low fin density creates less turbulence and resistance, allowing end-users to reach super silent conditions without a detrimental effect on performance.
    Features:
    • Water Channels and Fins made out of ECu Copper Material
    • Brass Water Chambers
    • Black Finish (5µm)
    • G1/4" Threads
    • Mounting screws for case and fans
    • Silicon pads
    • Bleed valve screw
    • Stamped TFC – Xchanger Logo
    • ColorBox Packaging
    • Warranty Card
    • Serial Number with Holographic Sticker
    • Sealed in VCI Bag - 5 Years Corrosion Protection
    • 3 Years Warranty

The forum post more explicitly listed a difference, citing a Feser 480 performing better <1880rpm and Black Ice better >1880rpm, which support the previous posts - http://forums.hardwarelogic.com/f14/feser-x-change-quad-15660.html#post137588.

I don't know how much experience you or any other readers have with Feser, but they do have a 4x120mm fan version and just came out with a 4x140mm version as well.

Thoughts?

5. JoeMunky

JoeMunky New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870
    hey, nice build. Any chance you could list the specs of the hardware? Little things that you can't tell by looking, like the lights and the fans (unless I missed it) :)

6. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Nice clocks on the 920 mikeMK you are using the newer stepping 920 i see from ur profile?

7. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Been through a few i7's in the last 2 months (on my 3rd 920 and had 2 EE's)... was wanting to find one with a decent IMC, and see just how well the 920's do vs. the 965's.

I am now on a D0 stepping, and it rocks! best out of all of them. Beats even my best CPU (an EE BTW) by a mile.

4ghz - 1.25v,
    4.2ghz - 1.3v
    4.4ghz - 1.36v!

Batch is 3850A

its great.... taster of some results ;)

[​IMG]

The above is by no means 24/7 stable, but i couldnt resist the temptation of a sub 9 sec. run! ;)

[​IMG]

The bandwidth potential is insane... obviously it doesnt have a big impact in real world scenarios, but its very nice to see :D

[​IMG]

4.4ghz is 24/7 stable though... as u can see!

Ive sold all the other 920's now, and one of the EE's. Gonna get rid of my other EE after seeing how well this D0 does... just no point in keeping it!

8. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    that is friggin sweet :banana:

9. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    No probs -

Current build is:

D0 stepping Core i7 920
    3x2gb Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz 8-8-8-24
    Foxconn Bloodrage X58 mobo
    ATI Radeon 4870X2
    X-fi Platinum Pro
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200watt PSU

Watercooling Loop 1:
    Switech Apogee GTZ CPU block
    Foxconn Bloodrage NB block (acually works pretty good for an included block - and it means i can keep the sweet looking colourscheme ;) )
    EK Multires 250
    DDC Ultra 18w pump with Petra Top
    Thermochill PA120.3 rad
    Feser 1 Red Coolant

Watercooling Loop 2:

EK FC 4870X2 full cover block
    EK Multires 250
    DDC Ultra 18w pump with Petra Top
    Thermochill PA120.2 rad
    Feser one blue/black fluid (the blackest fluid i could find)

All fans are Yateloon 120mm fans appart from the 2 rear red 92mm ones which are Xilence Red Wing's.

Lights - 1x Akasa red Cold Cathode, painted with red glass paint as it looked kinda pinkish out of the box... lol.

I have some small spotlight strips that backlight the mobo which are meant for pimping cars, and they come from Halfords. They are 12v so u just connect them to a molex and they work fine.

Think thats about it, but let me know if ive forgotten anything!

Yup, im pretty pleased with this setup now! Just wish nvidia or ati would release a new gen of GPU's rather than refreshes... itching for MORE POWER!!!! :rock:

10. Alec**

Alec** Maha Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5850 1GB H²0
    2x Danger Den Delrin Fillports ;)

I rule, but not as much as Mike :banana:

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    LOL... yes, how could i forget those! :rolleyes:

12. JoeMunky

JoeMunky New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870
    thanks mate, such a sweet build. Yeah I might do that with my new red cathodes, they are slightly half hearted too :/

My UV arent two bad, but I will probably get another set to sort of, really give it that :banana: effect

13. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    Awesome interior. I'm getting some red UV dye and 2 red cathodes soon this week :D.

My TJ07 too is gonna be red. I'm going off blue now.

14. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Well, ive had my rig in pieces again over the last week or so, doing some mod's to the case again. Main objective was to redo the pump mounts to improve bleeding and flow rate. Ive drilled two holes into the floor of the case, so the tubing feeds directly down to the rads. Ive also flipped the pumps 90 degrees, to get rid of that horrible bend from the res to pump.

[​IMG]

After such intense pressure over the last few pages regarding crossfire X, in the end my willpower gave out! ;)

[​IMG]

Finally, came across some Tygon black tubing and thought i'd give it a go for a change:

[​IMG]

Anyhow, its all currently leak testing, and I'll post some final pictures when its all done :)

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    That's looking amazing. Great colour scheme with the reds and blacks.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Thanks, its turning out pretty good. The X2 works fine btw, gave it a good run before i put it on water :)

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Great stuff! Like I said mate, fantastic work.

18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Right, a few more pictures to end the day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a few bits to finish off, mostly a bit of cable tidying, and a couple of front bays need editing to get around the pump brackets.

19. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    what cards ar they as it still says you have a 4870x2 ??

20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    They are both 4870X2's :)