1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titanfall 48GB PC Install Explained

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2014.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    50GB of high quality textures "next gen", super high end quality sound and all around. but meh it seems like titanfail

2. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Very high capacity of audio is much abnormal!! But 40GB is for super resolution of textures and of models because sounds almost 100% realistic.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. Snorgrind

Snorgrind Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4GB
    So.... why do we even have sound cards in our PCs ?
    I remember my still working x-fi helped a lot back in the pentium4 days, i know that microsoft did something to hw acceleration in vista+ but arent there still things like openAL that have hw audio support or its dead too ?

4. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    Quote from toms:
    /reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-5

"Today, AMD says that audio gets as much as 10% of a game’s CPU utilization budget, limiting what developers can do"

A lot of people with 'slower' system have a limited amount of storage... like a 500gb HDD for everything, I have a friend that still uses 2x 80gb IDE HD in this system lol ( C2D E7400 + 3850 with a 15" LCD display at 1024x768.. and he plays the 'new games' 'just fine' like tomb raider (lagging a bit but playing haha)

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    2x80 GB drives would be considered limited storage, especially since the game takes a considerable chunk of that. I still think decompression on install, only if required, would be the optimal solution if they insist on this.

In regards to AAC HE-V2, that is designed for speech. For music, ambient sounds etc AAC-LC is the only way to go. It's a common mistake for people to use AAC-HE or AAC-HE V2 for personal encoding of music, movies, tv shows etc, and that is just wrong :). People get deceived because with MP3 you get audio artifacts, with AAC it just reduces the frequencies (a bit of an over-simplification).

6. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    31 to 48 GB ?17 GB of sound ?clearly need to learn how or what raw format to use ,be it video or audio!wtf format they used ?they expect people to be in a studio ?even 4k probably don't use raw that big!probably an old raw format.scrgb has the same issue !(too big for the quality it give,ms was asked by image pro to sit with them and adopt a more real world approach.last I heard ms was still ignoring the image pro,so pretty much nobody use scrgb

7. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    The real reason was probably to please retailers, more people would buy retail knowing it is 50gb.

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I know its was a funny remark, but for the sake of it would take "just" 20hours. :D

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Or to please Microsoft. To be sure people play the XBox One version of the game. Respawn wasted the last week doing PR crap for Microsoft saying how great the XBox One and the cloud are and how awesome Titanfall is because of the cloud and everything. If i'm to believe Respawn the answer to the question is not 42 anymore ... the answer is now the cloud.

At the very least why not make gamers download flac and uncompress them while installing the game?

10. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 980Ti SLI

I was referring to the MMO game that was out a few years back reported to have 26gb of audio voice.

11. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Hum if i remember correctly the whole SWTOR install took around 26gb. Keep in mind that SWTOR had a way way way way bigger world than Titanfall. It was massive like WoW.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Anybody know what the file format is? Because, why not just open the file and manually compress it? If your system is good enough, you might even be able to compress it below the normal amount.

But what I find ironic is if this is supposed to help out a small minority of people who can't afford a better computer, what makes the Titanfall devs think those people can afford to lose that much disk space? For many low-end (or even mid-range) systems, that game could make up for at least 10% of your total storage.

I know people are going to argue against this, but it's stuff like this why I'm still in favor of optical discs. Game audio (and video cutscenes) rarely ever change, if at all. They never require fast read speeds, and putting them on separate discs would actually decrease load times. Game media is such a waste of disk space, especially on SSDs.

I actually managed to get a lot of my non-Steam games to run entirely on DVDs and doing so has saved me roughly 100GB of storage. I wouldn't recommend doing this with all games for obvious reasons, but a single 4.5GB DVD can hold the audio/movie tracks to several games. If you've got the drive and the discs but don't want to waste that expensive SSD, this is a very reasonable approach.

13. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380 4GB
    Guys, do you remember mobile phone... for example ancient siemens c45, it had built-in mp3 player.

14. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    All this for a source engine game?

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    ...Playing a single track. Games are not the same.

16. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    What I find strange is that they would even go through the trouble.. What I mean is, "isn't this game supposed to be something to kick up Xbox 1 sales"?

Avatar or even Pirates of the Caribbean (WAG) have more HD and audio content....

Oh, what I mean to say was, "didn't know all you fraggers were such audiophiles!"

My $70 will be much better spent elsewhere.

17. rpro

rpro Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Oh wow this is fail :S

18. vazup

vazup Master Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    DVD's? Wut? Those things should of died out on pc long, long time ago by now everyone should already have blu-ray drives. Btw, there are hybrid HDD's also and after 2 or 3 load times the game will be loading almost as fast as an SSD and those things are cheap.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  19. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  20. Valagard

Valagard Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FE
    Just a new form of DRM, Konami pulled this crap with MGS 5 by having all the audio uncompressed, which made the game huge in filesize

That's the only reason this game is 40gigs of audio files, cheap form of DRM