Titan X Pascal Low Framerate

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Stickman116, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    He does that a lot.

2. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hehe, this was the greatest joke ive heard.

to the OP, try to use Nvidia Inspector and search for the witcher 3 profile, and modify the power settings in the COMMON part of inspector, and set it to use full power.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yet its not!
    ur not thinking. i see 3 different case scenarios in which his 4 point explanation is perfectly plausible.
    but alas im on my phone :O

4. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    so windows 10 kernel is better at multitasking doenst mean he will drastically bottleneck the system as a whole, CMON!

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    1. sum of manny improbable events is perfectly finite and possible.one of those 4 points migh be fatal.
    2. or... every singl of those 4 points might be taking away some small perf. and creating perfect storm when combined
    3. just because his hardware is capable in theory does not mean it will be in practice. u tink nvidia optimized or even profiled titanx on 5 yr old hw/sw combo(yet)?

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I think chispy has a point. The X79 platform is fairly old by computer standards, and unless the CPU is heavily overclocked (to at least 4.5ghz) and the game is heavily multithreaded, a 3960x isn't going to be nowhere near as fast as something like a 6700K in games; particularly in minimum frame rates..

Plus the RAM is a big factor as well. DDR3 1600 is definitely a bottleneck for the latest games with such a powerful GPU. DDR3 1600 may have been acceptable for last gen 32 bit games, but not current gen 64 bit games; especially massive open world titles like AC Syndicate and the Witcher 3..

7. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Based on what many here have already said, it might be best to reinstall your OS, and better yet, migrate to W10. If you lost out on the free upgrade, you can still enable accessibility services to gain the upgrade option. Alternatively, if you have another HDD/SSD ready, just download W10 Enterprise trial and quickly give it a test on that.

Windows can and usually does get pretty messed up the longer you use it. The most absurd issues are often fixed by reinstalling, even though it is a great pain sometimes.

W10/8.1/7, performance wise, most of them should be similar under a clean install. There has been a few cases where games do perform better in the newer versions, but it isn't that drastic.

As for tearing and some stuttering, try playing around with different VSYNC options. Fast Sync will cause stuttering because that is by design (but your FPS should be high and stable). VSYNC on will be the smoothest but also add relatively high latency. VSYNC off should be self explanatory. Generally speaking you would want adaptive on non-competitive games, and Fast on games where you play at 120-200FPS (or anything way higher than your refresh rate) but don't use a monitor that supports it.

Based on your graphs, your CPUs in W3 are loaded extremely heavily, I would suggest trying to OC a tiny bit more on your CPU/RAM to try and see if that helps. Also make sure you don't have multiple monitoring apps open as they sometimes cause weird issues if too many are open. I also recommend increasing the refresh time to 1->2s to reduce polling performance costs. Try disabling Shadowplay if you have that running too. Rule out any other software that might be causing an increased load on your system.

Lastly, I don't seem to see the settings you are using. You should post the NVCP options and in-game settings too (not that it should really matter at 1080p).

8. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    no. i am not backpedaling LOL! is english your mother tounge??

i said, quote :"if he has the time he obviously will try it"
    because he himself said he has the intention of doing it.
    so it is obvious to me, that he will try it. which is what i said.

now get over your personal agenda.

w7 is not the reason why OP has problems. else he would have had the same problems with his 980 Ti...

found yourself a friend? or also unable to dissect english sentences?

yes that's a good starting point. actually someone who also knows where to begin troubleshooting.
    amongst all the "OP buy a new PC and get Windows ME"

9. Stickman116

Stickman116 Active Member

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    I appreciate everyone trying to help. No need for name calling though.

Here's the GPU-Z screenshot in Witcher 3:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Thanks for those. So, are all of your games and applications running fine except for TW3 and ACU? In that case, I would think it is something nvidia might need to fix with drivers. Although it is strange that basically none of the reviews around the internet report any kind of trouble, probably due to their systems all having 6700k's or better. Who knows.

Anyway, I still think it might be a good idea to run LatencyMon for a few minutes on the desktop before you start one of the two aforementioned games and let it run through your play session and sift through the results, maybe upload here for comparisons.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm still siding with chispy on this. Sandy Bridge is still somewhat fast, but you really need a Haswell class or better CPU to get the most out of todays cutting edge GPUs..

And don't underestimate the impact of RAM performance. Sandy Bridge came out at a time when games developed primarily for the low bandwidth and memory deficient Xbox 360 and PS3 (ie GTA V), were hitting their zenith. Same for DDR3 1600.

Contrast that to todays much larger and more complex games which are developed primarily for consoles that have far more RAM, and much higher levels of bandwidth; plus the added benefit of unified memory access in the case of the PS4 which greatly enhances memory efficiency.

DDR3 1600 just isn't fast enough for todays massive open world games. And I'm not just talking about framerates. Memory speed typically impacts FRAME LATENCY much more than framerate.

So all in all, I think the OP's problem is definitely related to platform; mostly the CPU and the RAM. An OS update should help as well, but the main issues are the CPU and the RAM speed.

13. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Here is MSI Afterburner with CPU OC at 4.4GHz and hyperthreading off. Doesn't seem to help.

I've disabled swap files, set a 4GB - 8GB limit and set it to system managed. It doesn't help.

I'm only having trouble with Witcher 3 (Novigrad is my current save area, it seems better when I'm away from certain sections of the city) and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Other games (Shadow of Mordor, GTAV, Fallout 4, Arkham Knight, SW Battlefront, Street Fighter V, and are silky smooth. It's not unplayable, it's just distracting when it is noticeable.

[​IMG]free photo hosting

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's a pretty big hint. Witcher 3 is by far mostly GPU intensive, EXCEPT for Novigrad, where it tends to be CPU intensive. ACS is also a very CPU intensive game..

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ahhhhhhhhh, I thought your issues were other than this stuff. This is totally normal as far as I know. Novigrad suffers from draw call/dx11 issues and ACS is just typical Ubi rubbish. If all your other games run silky smooth then everything is fine.

16. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    I think I fixed Witcher 3?

I went into my Nvidia CP and changed the following for Witcher3.exe:

Threaded Optimization: On
    Max Pre-Rendered Frames: 1
    Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance
    Multi-display/Mixed GPU Acceleration: Single Display Performance Mode
    V-sync: Adaptive

The game is running smooth with Hairworks maxed as well.

17. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Is the draw call/dx11 issue fixed if I switch to windows 10 since that has dx12?

Thanks for all the help. I'm not sure if what I did fixed the core of the problem, but I got the game to run smoothly by changing some settings in Nvidia control panel.

18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I have all of those settings the same except for V-sync in pretty much every game I play. I have had games that don't work well with adaptive power management. Glad to hear it is running better, but is it better in Novigrad as well?

No, what I meant was the nature of games that are dx11 being limited in what they can pack on screen or in an area due to draw call limitations. Moving to Win10 with dx12 will do absolutely nothing for games that are suffering from the aforementioned symptoms, sadly. Now a dx12 patch for TW3 would be awesome, but that is not likely.

19. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Got it! What v-sync setting do you use? I use unlimited max frames and adaptive sync for Witcher 3 exe only. For other games, I just leave it on use 3d application setting.

Yes, it's running smoothly now, even in Novigrad. :) I'm going to finish AC: Black Flag first before I go back to AC: Syndicate. I got some improvement on AC Syndicate, too, but I know it can get better if Ubi wants it.

Again, thanks for all the help to everyone.

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yeah, reaching the limits of what developers want to do versus what an API/engine can actually do. Roll on DX12/Vulkan!

Depends on the game but I usually just use normal V-sync and make sure my settings (usually 1440p with high/ultra, higher for older games) can sustain 60FPS at all times. I also tend to make sure that the game is triple buffered, either from D3Doverider or DWM/WDDM, so that a drop here or there to 45-50 FPS doesn't totally ruin anything.

I love PC gaming to death and I've been gaming on one since I was 6, but the main thing I have learned is that sometimes lots of testing/tweaking/tinkering is required to get things just the way I want them. Glad to hear things are working for you, especially after spending my total rig cost on your new GPU!

I know you are probably busy gaming and it doesn't make much of a difference now, but would you mind uploading a screenshot of one of your Witcher 3 play sessions from MSIAB so it can be compared to your earlier ones? :nerd: