Titan X Pascal Low Framerate

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Stickman116, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Stickman116

Stickman116 Active Member

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Hi all,

I just got a Titan X pascal and I'm not getting the touted framerates in the benchmarks of The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm getting frames dropping below 60 even at 1080p and some stuttering sometimes. Would really appreciate some help.

My system:
    i7 3960x @4.2Ghz
    32Gb DDR3 RAM @1600mhz
    Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Samsung Evo 850 SSD drives for OS and games
    Titan X Pascal
    850W PSU

2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Use msi afterburner OSD during intense gaming and report back.

3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    I'll trade you my GPU! It gets way more than 60@1080p in those games!

Joking aside, what drivers are you using? Did you use DDU to do a clean removal? Keep in mind that most of the touted TXP numbers are with a heavily OC'd 6700k and 3200MHz DDR4. What GPU did you just come from and what was performance like? How full is your SSD? Is this a recent install of Win7 or is it years old and possibly in need of some spring cleaning?

Those factors could help narrow things down, but also use MSIAB to get us some numbers to show what is happening while you get this bad performance.

4. Maye

Maye Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 GxTrio
    Using 369.05 titan x drivers?

5. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Thanks for the replies.

I used DDU and did a clean install of the drivers. Windows was installed less than 4 months ago and I have 337GB/465GB free on my OS SSD, 240GB/965GB free on my Games SSD.

Yes, I'm using the 369.05 drivers from nvidia.com. Here's my MSI Afterburner monitor screenshot from The Witcher 3. Thanks for looking into this.

[​IMG]photo upload sites

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    First thing that comes to mind is raising the power limit and testing. Also, either I'm missing it or your GPU voltage graph isn't present in that screenshot. I have no experience with the TXP but my 980Ti usually bounces off the power % cap before the voltage limit when I use unlocked frame rates.

Are you OC'ing the core or just getting that 1860MHz (blurry, so not sure) from the stock card? Did it exhibit the same behavior at stock clocks?

*EDIT* Sure you've seen this but I thought it might be nice for reference. Oh, and it looks like TXP doesn't have voltage control right now? That would be why it is missing from your chart and HH's.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_titan_x_pascal_review,36.html

7. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Have you set the pre-rendered frames manually in the NVIDIA CP? Set it to 3 for Witcher 3 and your GPU usage should be at a constant 95-99%. As you can see from the graph it isn't being utilised properly and that could be due to too few pre-rendered frames (or other issue that is limiting the GPU).

8. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    I'm not doing any OC, I'm testing stock. It's getting to 1800+ on core clock by itself. It's hitting 1900 at times because I'm not hitting the 84 degree limit at stock. No settings have been changed since I installed it.

9. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Would setting max pre-rendered frames add to input lag?

Current setting is "Use the 3D application setting". I'll give it a shot and report back.

10. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Here are the results with max 3 pre-rendered frames. It still stutters and the frame rate spikes

[​IMG]image hosting gif

11. bugsixx

bugsixx Member Guru

GPU:
    x
    DPC latency, whole pascal lineup is fked up, nothing you can do because Nvidia has to fix it (you can buy AMD)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ies/gtx-1080-high-dpc-latency-and-stuttering/

'I just received my Titan X (Pascal), and unfortunately it also has the same DPC spikes that the 1080 did... I'm getting spikes up to 3200us in gaming. So I guess now it's safe to say that this problem affects the entire Pascal lineup... I'm so disappointed. '

12. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    I believe the DPC latency is fixed in the last driver for the pascal cards. In any case, I've already purchased the card and am looking for the reason for the stuttering.

I don't really have any interest in buying AMD at this time, I'd rather just focus on what's causing the issue and not go into a tangent of AMD vs. Nvidia.

Thanks though. :)

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Dang, that sucks! I would be livid after spending that kind of money an a single part! It took weeks to convince myself to pull the trigger on the lightly used 980Ti I got for $300!

Anyway, since you are still on Windows 7 you should be able to download and run this utility while gaming and report back with a screenshot.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Lastly, are you rebooting between these changes or forcing a driver restart with CRU? Not trying to treat you like a child, but after 15+ years of computer support for friends/family/extended family I always make sure to double check. :nerd:

14. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Here is the Assassin's Creed Syndicate performance according to MSI AB. The stuttering is worse here and there is screen tearing.

[​IMG]free image uploading

15. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    @BuildeR2: I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm restarting the application after the changes. I've also gone through a couple of reboots.

I know AC:S is not optimized for PC, but the results are in the 60s and 70s with stutter and tearing, all @1080p. I'm not on a g-sync monitor but I don't think that should matter. GTAV runs smoothly and I expected these games to do the same.

I'm stumped.

16. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Here's the DPC screenshot during AC:Syndicate, the worse of the two games.

The yellow spike is from when I exited the game to take the screenshot. Otherwise, it's flat and in the green.

[​IMG]free upload image

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Hmm, yeah that looks the same as my win7 machine in the kitchen. Have you tried maxing out the power limit % in MSIAB? Your last screenshot still capped at ~100%. Not saying that is the issue, as it likely isn't, but you might as well try it.

18. Stickman116

GPU:
    Titan X Pascal
    Maxed out the power limit to 120% and temp at 90 degrees, same results...

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Alright, maybe it's time to check with LatencyMon 6.50. I just downloaded and installed it and the nvlddmkm.sys file is making all kinds of trouble. Now I'm trying to figure out what is broken.

20. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Make sure you got the right Titan X.

Download GPU-Z and compare displayed info with valid Titan X Pascal specs.