Tips for 7870

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Redvan, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Redvan

Redvan Member Guru

GPU:
    2GB HIS 7870
    I've been running a GTX285 for the past... 5-6 years, so I've been out of the loop with AMD cards lately. Just took advantage of newegg black friday and got a HIS IceQ HD7870 (and none too soon, appears its out of stock now, whew!). Based on Toms GPU Tier chart, it's 5 above my 285, so, I'm guessing I'll get substantial increase in performance regardless. Currently I get about 20FPS while running infantry in Planetside 2, and avg 40FPS while tearing up the skies in my Scythe (all hail Vanu).

All that to say, any tips for me running this card? Omega drivers still the way to go? CCC still around? etc...

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Only tip I can offer....Overclock.

3. Redvan

Redvan Member Guru

GPU:
    2GB HIS 7870
    Why do you say that? I'm upgrading from a gtx285, so, I'm anticipating being quite content with it stock settings lol. I also try to avoid any excessive burn of my card. Never OC'd my 285.

But if there's good reason to, I'll look into it :)

Also: Were I to OC it, got any good guides and suggestions for drivers/utilities? I'm a noob with OC'ing ;)

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    7870 is a decent card, just install the latest 12.11 beta 8 drivers, or newer once you get it installed

5. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    well what hes saying 7*** series in general overclock mad and if you overclock it it will be able to stretch its legs

6. Redvan

Redvan Member Guru

GPU:
    2GB HIS 7870
    ok cool, i'll certainly keep that in mind down the road when i run into games where I may need to OC. Currently not playing anything that could possibly need it afaik.

So the standard AMD drivers best way to go then?

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My HD7870 seemed a bit "gimped" at stock clocks. When pushed to 1150mhz (rather minor on a 7 series card), it was like a completely different card.

All the overclocking can be easily done within CCC itself. You simply increase the power slider to 20....then increase the GPU core slider to 1150mhz. That's really all you need to do. Memory can be overclocked, but it's not really necessary. (wouldn't go above 1300mhz on the memory personally as I saw no advantage)

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Planetside 2? You would be running at 20fps even with 7970...its a laggy mess of a game!

9. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980m 8GB
    The 7850 overclocks to 1200 core and 1450 (5800) memory. The 7870 probably a bit more.

10. Redvan

Redvan Member Guru

GPU:
    2GB HIS 7870
    And that can be done with stock fans? I may have to try it if its that easy :)

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Can be, yes. Just keep an eye on temperatures. And it really is that easy.

12. eddylipstick

eddylipstick Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    I pushed mine to 1250/1450 (voltage 1.28v)

daily => 1100/1250 stock voltage

Use furmark for testing temps.

drivers 12.11 beta 8 seems fine so far.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I actually run planetside 2 on max settings at on 120Hz@120fps v-synced.

It just have that slight problem that some times game flicker for everyone in some zone.
    And sometimes some server is so overloaded it's nearly unplayable due to lag :-/

They have some weird stuff incorporated into engine. Like library checking and killing memory leaks...?!?
    Or their own visibility checking of scene before it's given to graphics card which checks it once again... ?!?

But I do not get why Long Range sniper rifle with inferior damage has 12x Scope while most powerful and Very Long Range one has only 6.3x scope...

PS.: Fully upgraded infiltrator with Artemis is way better than Light Assault :)

14. Redvan

Redvan Member Guru

GPU:
    2GB HIS 7870
    awesome, downloading furmark now :)

So, I should OC the GPU, run a benchmark with FurMark, have it record GPU temps, and make sure they not too hot? That the correct process?

What server u on Fox? I'm Vanu on Waterson. Haven't upgraded any infantry yet, primarily a scythe pilot

EDIT: Ran FurMark stability test, fullscreen, 1920x1080, 8xMSAA, my temp seemed to plateau at 60C.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012