Time to update my Rig, need input..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mmaturen, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Hello there mates is that time of the year when i finally manage to save enough money to get a new system. So far my old rig has been great gaming wise (got Skyrim and Battlefield 3 running at high) but now that I’m getting onto graphics design using Photoshop cs5 I get a hard time sometimes wile opening large files.
    To get it out of the way here is my rig now.
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 stock speed
    Mobo: Evga 680i SLI
    RAM: 4Gb ddr2 Corsair Xtreme 2
    Vid Card: Evga Gtx260 1Gb
    HDD: Samsung 300 gb
    Here is what I have available in my country.
    CPU: Intel Core I-5 2500.
    MoBo: Asus p8h61-m LE
    RAM: 8 Gb dd3 kingston 1333 Mhz
    Vid Card: Evga Gtx560
    HDD: Seagate 1Tb 7200Rpm.
    The question is, will this be an overall faster machine that the one I have now? Apart from the Photoshop suit will my gaming performance improve on this new config?
    Sadly these are the parts that I have available here and no, I can’t get stuff from overseas like on Amazon or new egg.
    Thanks for all your input.
    Cheers.
    M

2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It will be faster but to really shine you need to get a 128gig ssd.

3. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Hello there mates.

Sadly we had a medical emergency wit both our family pets, and most of the money I had save for the update, I had to spend on said emergency.

so heres is what I can do now, given how much money and the parts available here:

Add 4 gb of ram to the already existing 4 thus making it 8 gb of ddr2 corsair xms2.

Get the brand new 1tb HDD.

A Brand new copy of Win7 home premiun.

And, here is the choice in particulary strugling now, Ive been a Nvidia buyer since my first riva tnt2 buts sadly my optios to update are these:

Evga GTX 550 TI or Gigabyte RadeonHD 6850

ikeep reading that over my old gtx 260 the 550 ti is not much of an update, and that the Radeon outperform boy¿th the 550 ti and the 260, so if I gonna get that much of a diference I willing to swing the ATI way...

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers.

M

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I would go with the 6850 and call it a day; if you have more to spend, save them for an upgrade to sandy/ivy later. Spending on hard drives is not wise at the moment as the prices are so high, so as long as you're not in dire need of more disk space you should skip that. DDR2 is also more expensive than DDR3 and you should be fine with 4GB most of the time.

5. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Sorry to hear about your pets matey, my gf and i have just recently had to drop a bomb getting her tortoise back to health so i can relate to that.

Anyway getting to your rig, as for the additional RAM thats debateable, if your not maxing what you have then you won't see a difference, if however you are then the added RAM will help greatly.

1TB HDD, tbh if you can do without it right now i would as their insanely expensive due to the unfortunate floods that have hit thailand. If you do require one i'd first look into the possibilitly of a used one to try save more cash.

As for the graphics card i would get the 6850 over the 550Ti everytime, it simple performs better.