Time to retire my QX6700?? need advice please :)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jetfx, Jun 16, 2012.

1. jetfx

jetfx Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 670GTX DCIITOP 2G
    Hello all. sorry for bad english. and thank you for your help in advance.

I think it's time to retire my beloved QX6700@3.2/striker extreme/8800gtxSLI.

Main usage for this computer is 40%gaming, 40%hd content playback
    20% 3dStudio/video editing, transcoding, photoshop.

because of the current price tag's in my country "mexico" this is the top hardware i can afford at the moment. this are the parts that i am going to replace. i wont buy an SSD for now my old harddrives will have to suffice.

Motherboard ---------- Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77

Processor------------- Core i7 3770K [aiming for 4.8GHZ]
    "already have the watercooling for this one. the same i use on my Qx6700. new waterblock of course"

GPU------------------ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP
    http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GTX670DC2T2GD5

RAM------------------ Kingstone HyperX 1600

So that's pretty much what i want to buy but i feel a little confused about this.

the motherboard does not have thunderbolt port. it has a header for it but one needs to buy the add in card. "do i need to worry about not embracing thunderbot?" i dont know why, but it feels like firewire once again. my firewire port is home to little bugs searching for a warm place to live in..

For the processor i don't see many options besides the 3550k or am i missing something?. and to be honest the only reason for my choice is.. i want to see the 8 cores when i open the task manager and when i render in 3d studio lol. even when i know they are not real cores.

For the video card .. i was very pleased with my choice until i read that this cards "nvidia 600 series" are very bad for direct compute. even a midrange 500 series perfoms better or at least equal. heres the link.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/17

Now. what does that means for me?? i honestly have no idea lol. need help with this one please. does it means that 3ds and video editing software will run like trash?

also i'm so confused with the RAM memory choice. i need some guidance here. for what i have seen, is not worth to expend more money for faster ram when the real life improvement is very small "at least for me" because of the use that i give to my computer. is this correct?. what other brands "not very expensive" are recommended?

Thank you very much :)

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yes, sadly Nvidia decided not to focus much on compute performance in the 6 series in order to be more cost effective and separate its professional GPU cards from gaming cards. Depending on which areas are more important to you, you may have to look at AMD cards as an alternative.

Re the RAM, any good brand, Kingston, GSkill, Crucial, Corsair will do. Usually theres not much price difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz, so you might as well go with 1600. Higher speed than that will usually be a waste in anything other than synth benches.