Time to replace my PSU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by patteSatan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. patteSatan

patteSatan Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    Hi, I have had an R9 380 4gb oc asus strix card for a few years, and never really got it stable, and yesterday I got a sapphire R9 390 Nitro+ w. backplate for free.

The problems I had the years I had this 380, is that when playing Elder Scrolls Online, the computer just locked up, even if I was alone in a house or cave.

The 390 is waaaay better in that regard, but after a few hours of gaming, the computer just shuts down, no bluescreen, no black screen, just turns off...so I have to restart it again, and wattman has changed my small settings back to stock. Nothing in the logs as to what crashed...

My PSU is a cooler master silent pro M 850W, http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/powersupply/silent-pro-m/silent-pro-m850.html

I had it for several years, and have changed motherboard 3 or 4 times during that period.

Or is it because I just have 1 stick of crucial ballistix elite 3466 on my ASUS B350 Prime motherboard?

I think the question I am trying to ask, is:
    New PSU, or another stick of memory? Or changing memory to another brand?

cpu is an AMD Ryzen 1600X, with good cooling.

I had the same problems with the 380 when I ran it with an fx 6300.

I'm thankful for any idea as to what to look for, and so on.

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Unstable overclock, or deficiency in system hardware.

Start by disabling all overclock from bios, which may include those enabled by the motherboard manufacturer.

Highly unlikely to be CPU, so test your ram thoroughly using Memtest86+.

If above comes back fine, try another PSU.

patteSatan likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    It should handle 390 no problem. Thats a good 66a single rail psu, it should handle even vega.

Maybe the card is faulty itself.

patteSatan likes this.
  4. patteSatan

patteSatan Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    Going away to visit my mom 2 weeks, will tell you what I did when I come home again, I am certain that it is some stupid thing I always forget to change when Im in bios/uefi and check stuff.

@BlackZero
    It might be the memory on this board, that is something I am going to test for sure, thanks.
    @Undying
    If its the card(s), first the 380 and now this, I must be the guy with the worst luck in the lottery....

I'll come back to you both after I'm back, and thanks both of you for answering the question, sitting alone and thinking makes at least my mind go in circles, so tnx again, written a note about what you both said.

Oh, and by the way, I havent overclocked anything, I stopped doing that years ago, I just want a stable computer.. :)

BlackZero likes this.

5. patteSatan

patteSatan Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    Hi again, I'm back.

Okey, this might be strange, but it's completely stable now.
    Here's what I did:
    Bought another stick of the same memory (same date manufactured, etc).
    https://www.amazon.com/Ballistix-Single-PC4-27700-288-Pin-Memory-x/dp/B072L8DLVS
    Installed the stick, it was still unstable...
    Downloaded a program called "Device Remover" https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/device_remover_543c.html
    Uninstalled all hidden but not attached devices.
    Reseated the RAM sticks.
    BINGO!
    I now run them at 3200 16/18/18/18 stable, and can run 3dmark timespy, wich I wasnt able to do before, and it is a completely new, more responsive machine!
    memtest64 crashes and just dissapears, but games and 3dmark works flawlessly.

I'm a happy bunny!

/regards
    Patrik

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    BlackZero likes this.
  6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Great news, and thank you for keeping us updated.

Just to wrap things up, it may be worth doing an online system image restore to catch any software errors that may have appeared while the system was not completely stable.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

Hopefully, the above should fix what ever is causing memtest64 to crash.

patteSatan likes this.
  7. patteSatan

patteSatan Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    BlackZero likes this.