Time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by antihero998, Nov 17, 2011.

1. antihero998

antihero998 Member

GPU:
    EVGA SC 780
    So right now I'm stuck with a gaming laptop. It's not that bad of a laptop but I really want build a new desktop. It's current specs are 4gb of ddr3 ram, Intel Core-i5 M430 2.27 GHz and a Geforce GTS360M.

I'm really thinking about getting this combo deal from newegg but I wanted to know what every one here thought of it first. I'm on kind of a tight budget so I won't be able to go much more over that price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.770956

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The problem with combos is you don't get to choose the exact components. But the price on that one is pretty good... Even though I'd change the GPU to 6950 2GB (faster, cheaper, less power hungry) and I wouldn't want a Cooler Master power supply, that combo might be worth it. I'd sell the PSU and buy a higher quality unit but keep the GPU until it is wouldn't be fast enough anymore.

But what else do you need to buy? Do you need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, Windows, dvd drive? What's your overall budget for the whole setup? Also if you spent less on other components you could fit in an SSD too.

3. antihero998

antihero998 Member

GPU:
    EVGA SC 780
    I have every thing else on your list but the DVD drive "no big deal". My overall budget for all the main components is around $900.

4. Hemectu

Hemectu Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX465 SC -> 470 SC
    That is actually a pretty good deal! Especially as a starting point to get a system going. I think you could maybe save a little money picking out individual items but not much.
    The 560ti has 2Gb of ram so that is awesome.
    I'm not particular about the case, but when first starting any case will work.
    DVD drive you can get for $20 so no big deal.

I'd go for it! I think it is a great starting point. Can always make changes later.

Oh I just noticed the board is a Micro so this means it has less expansion options, just to be aware of. But it has 3 PCI-e slots so your not really that hindered, you can still easily do SLI / X fire later.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

5. antihero998

antihero998 Member

GPU:
    EVGA SC 780
    Thanks for the help. I ended up not getting that combo. I found all the parts at I needed locally so I just went with that. On a side note I did pick up a i5 2500K for only $180 :)