Time for a new PSU? Help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by treed, Oct 2, 2011.

1. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    Hey all, I need your expert advice here. I'd so oh the last month or two this has been happening at random times. During idle times when I'm browsing the web, have iTunes going, my screen will flash and I can hear my GPU fan get louder. I looked at my temps and it was getting higher by the second. Every time this happens, I have to reboot and it goes back to normal temps around 38C when Idling. Though not sure if my CPU is doing the same thing. Is this a sign that I need a new PSU? I have a stock one that came in my Acer system. I know I'm borderline for min psu requirements for my GPU so that's why I'm asking. Thanks!

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Doubt it's the PSU... GPU fan typically ramps up with GPU temp. If you're using IE9, Firefox 4 (or newer) or Google Chrome, then the GPU isn't at "idle" while browsing the web.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah. Probably just driver issue.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    turn up your fan speed to 85% and see if the problem continues

5. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB
    Thanks for the input guys! I just updated my driver to 285.38, I'll see if the issue continues.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The fan on my gtx460 ramps if I use Firefox for more than a few minutes.

7. treed

treed Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 560 TI 2GB

Interesting, I also am using Firefox. That could very well be what is causing it. I might try Chrome for a bit to see if same issue keeps on happening.

Oh yeah, also wanted to say you guys are the sh!t This community rocks and replies so quick to questions. Just wanted to throw that out there. :cheers:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  8. i7GTX550Ti8Gb

i7GTX550Ti8Gb Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R280X 3GB
    could also be that the card gets switched to 3d mode or such for any reason?

Cause u state that screen flashes before it happens, also check the basic stuf like connections, reinsert card, check 4 dust,... also, did the driver update help u out?

me