Tim Sweeney Outs More Win10 Concerns - MS wants to Break Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    A driver is software and there's all sorts of reasons (speed being a big one) that you would want to write kernel mode software. eg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUX_web_server

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    I get that, but there is a point where they have to put a barrier on who is trying to write kernel-level drivers. I understand your point from a developer standpoint, but kernel-mode drivers from anyone were a disaster and the primary source of rootkits in the Windows platform. Even the example of TUX, that you cite, says that the web server is not an official part of the Linux kernel, that the speed advantages for serving heavier sites are null compared to a user-level web server, and that it's basically a feature testbed. You have to consider that none of those things would have happened with the Windows kernel any way, since it's closed source. I can't say I blame them, to be honest. My only problem is that I believe they should lower the fee from $600 to something like $100. The current price is too much.

3. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    i wouldn't stress it 98% of real pc user uninstall all the **** adware microsoft has been developing for years! The sheep, well they let the world go to **** every everyday.

4. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Gaming X