Tim Sweeney Outs More Win10 Concerns - MS wants to Break Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Why would MS release win32 apps if the games are published by them? Of course they will release UWP in their own store, they would be stupid not to.

UWP being win32 in it's base means win32 is not gonna get destroyed nor is it going anywhere. Exe files are still there you simply cannot mess with em that easily.

They had plans on giving some leeway so there would be easier modding and so forth. Exclusive fullscreen also was in their plans. Will see how it pans out, but they are trying to unify xbox and pc which means gaming is in their plans currently. It gives nice revenue in software and microtransactions.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super

Great for Microsoft. Bad for PC gamers, gaming is in their plan but not the way you want it.

Unification = bringing down to the lowest common denominator. They don't care about what PC hardware you've got, you'll be running games designed for an XBox. I know this is often the case nowadays but essentially Microsoft want to make it mandatory.

An example was the framerate lock in the initial versions of UWP. If they had spent even 10 minutes considering what PC gamers wanted, this would not have been there. Get used to it guys, this is the future!

3. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Thank you.

The way i see Microsoft or NVIDIA or Intel or AMD or any other major company i don't think that there is such thing as overtones. Constant lying, false advertisement, patent trolling. I'm so tired of this. These companies have so much knowledge and resources inside to make something outstanding, feature rich, customizable and profitable without alienating their customers. But...not profitable enough? Greediness is so high that companies are not afraid to intentionally annoy their customers. And that tells a lot about them. I don't feel like being customer anymore, i feel like being little bag of cash and nothing more.

All people have different taste, but I feel like being forced to accept taste of someone else. I can keep naming things until this forum became "NAMEk's facts and opinion" forum. But i don't have to, whole internet is full of them. I wish all people thought critically, rationally and stop being afraid to accept bad stuff, but sadly I can't do anything.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    That's a factor of the development cycle itself. ALL game assets are made using the lowest common denominator. No one will make better models or different textures for snow flakes. What differentiates PC games is the rendering resolution, the resolution of some effects, and post processing. None of these things requires extra development work on main game assets. Microsoft bringing Xbox games to the PC is a good thing. I'm eagerly awaiting to play Forza Horizon 3.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The fact issues are being resolved is a good sign, i would hardly call it a negative about what the future holds when the whole thing is still a work in progress.

MS exclusives coming to the PC is great news even if it's not all of them, not that I have have bought any yet as im not paying the prices they are asking, nice to have the choice.

6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    in general ms wants to break everything, their ridiculous constant updates break as many things as they claim to fix

but seeing them come to pc gaming is a good thing, I imagine we will have them for the easy "just works" fun experience and steam for the advanced and exciting one

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Example?

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Pretty much gotten used to it already in almost everything. Tho with that new console coming out we should see decent scaling regarding image quality. And Forza 6 Apex is rather good example what MS can do.

9. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
  10. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Gaming X

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No, nothing has changed he is just as paranoid as ever.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well steam just released a update for better win10 RS1 compatibility so this whole thread is one big pile of .... :grin:

EDIT:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  13. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Well I don't know about that.

While his words are more theory, it could be partly true, and thus why Valve even had to release an update for it.

Let's just hope it does not turn into a locked down OS ( I highly doubt it will be that bad). More annoying for dev's and their launchers for sure.

I would not say paranoid, but he jumps the gun and looks too far ahead. He tries to theorize on what MS is currently doing, and a possible outcome that may happen (Even though MS probably won't be that bad with locking windows down). I think it's just his personal concerns and he's just trying to talk about them.

General compatibility with programs, drivers and code in general. Does it usually turn out okay? Sure but some people have issues and it causes headaches.

I'm running flawlessly, but that does not mean everyone else will. A lot of it can be due to old outdated hardware and drivers for that hardware. Could be not enough testing with a combination of hardware...who knows.

People bad mouth the idea of updating MB BIOS's, but I know multiple people on systems that updated to Windows 10 to find it taking 5 minutes to boot. They updated to their newest available BIOS and it takes off flying.

It's things like that, which can make a difference and people claim their PC is broken without understanding. Not always their fault, they just don't know.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Valve have been breaking and fixing Steam for years though.

If i was the paranoid type i could argue that Steam was used as an example because of that reason, and now everytime something goes wrong lots will just scream that it's starting.
    Possibly even Valve who put him up to it so they can get away with being lazy on Steam development, maybe even as a way to push people to SteamOS.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Do you even know what driver signing is? That will also stand for new drivers only. They're not "breaking" anything currently working, they just want to make sure that Dick Virus can't write kernel mode drivers. That's quite commendable and it's standard practice for all kernels actually.
    From the actual article about it:
    So no, they don't affect compatibility, but this is a very sensible policy.

If Steam for Linux is any indication, Steam is indeed very badly written software.

16. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
    aah got it

17. CDJay

CDJay Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Hmmm

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. For years, let's say 10, we moan that MS ignore and indeed actively sabotage pc gaming. Steam happens. Blizzard win hard. MS come back and say they are serious this time. Add a low level api, available on their console also. They announce a 4k capable console for tail end of next year, giving devs a good reason for scalability. They allow w32 apps to be repackaged for the w10 store. They fix the uwp restrictions at launch, and say you can run uwp apps sourced externally. They confirm previous exclusives will come to pc, after years of not doing so, with the lone restriction that it's through their store front like.... Every other aaa pc Dev or publisher. They say cross play with pc/xbox/ps4 is fine.

Now we're being paranoid. Riiiiight. Sometimes rewarding the reformed is okay, kids.

CDJay

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
  19. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Good luck with that. They care so little about Windows gaming, I'm sure it'll be a total dogs dinner.

Commendable, haha, it is ALL about making money!

I logged into MSDN and checked out the process of certifying a driver.

I see

"You must establish your company’s identity by purchasing a codesigning certificate."

and

"Because there are fees for some submission types, we require a billing address to set up an account." - That should read all submission types from what I read.

If you have a good idea and wish to write some cool software for Windows, forget it unless you are willing to pay Microsoft up front for the privilege. Oh and it's not a one off payment, you need to pay every year, Commendable!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

You mean a 'cool driver' right? I thought the complaint was about games and other software.