1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Threadripper freezeing during renders with Adobe Media Encoder

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by JediRyan, Mar 10, 2019.

1. JediRyan

JediRyan Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
    So I built a 1950x TR with the intention of it being able to handle pretty much anything I throw at it editing wise. I was having the same freezing issues a while back and someone on another forum said that I was having these issues due to my cpu being undervolted. So I upped it from 1.350v to 1.375v, which made no difference, so I pushed it to 1.40v and everything seemed to work fine. I recently have been taking on heavier work loads doing batch renders now and the freezing issues have started happening again. I know the easiest solution would be to just undo my OC, but I feel like I would be losing out on quite a bit of performance if I drop my cpu from 4.0 ghz down to stock 3.4 ghz. I also like to game on my PC from time to time and there is a noticeable difference at stock speeds. I use an EK Performance 360 water cooling loop so I have adequate cooling, temps never go above 60c even under full load so I don't think heat is the issue. I am wondering if pushing the voltage to 1.425v is safe or should I be going at this a different way? I can also provide screenshots if needed, don't hesitate to ask! I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that I can test. Thank you for taking the time to read this! [​IMG]

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
  3. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti G1 GAMING OC
    Outside the box, give Lasso a try .
    https://bitsum.com/portfolio/coreprio/

4. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI SLI
    This isn't for the 1950X TR, its for the 2990WX and few other 2nd gen TR models.

I suggest updating the bios of the Zenith extreme to the version 1701 https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

I noticed on my Server that runs a 1950X, overclocking the CPU actually made my RAM overclock unstable and I ended up blaming my CPU overclocking being unstable but it actually was my RAM becoming unstable.
    So I would suggest lower the ram overclock or even putting the ram at stock, and try the CPU overclock see how it goes, once you think its stable try messing with the ram. you might end up having to sacrificing RAM overclock for better CPU speeds.

also you might find some good info on https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-...e-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support.html

JediRyan likes this.

5. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti G1 GAMING OC
    • [​IMG]
      Marcin • 2 months ago
      Is it possible to use that tool with 1990x to boost it up or it works only with 2990wx? 1990x is still slow on few older windows softwares (much slower than 3990K).
    [​IMG]
    Bitsum
    Mod Marcin2 months ago
    You mean 1950x? Generally the answer will be NO for other processors. You should give Process Lasso a try though!

• Share ›

6. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti G1 GAMING OC
    • [​IMG]
      Marcin • 2 months ago
      Is it possible to use that tool with 1990x to boost it up or it works only with 2990wx? 1990x is still slow on few older windows softwares (much slower than 3990K).
    [​IMG]
    Bitsum
    Mod Marcin2 months ago
    You mean 1950x? Generally the answer will be NO for other processors. You should give Process Lasso a try though!

• Share ›

7. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti G1 GAMING OC
    • [​IMG]
      tarkan • 2 months ago

I tried the software and it really speed up my 2990wx .It was rendering the scene 2:07sec and now 1:25sec. Thank you for the software
    [​IMG]
    x7007
    2 months ago
    Will the Dynamic Mode or NUMA discc work for TR4 1950x ?? which one should I use ? Only dynamic or only Numa Discc ? Also , do I need to use Distributed instead Local in the bios ?

[​IMG]
    Bitsum
    Mod x70072 months ago
    At this time there is no known performance gain by use of either of the two current Coreprio features on the 1950x. It doesn't suffer the same complexities of the 4 die processors. I can advise use of Process Lasso though!

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    So many ways to go about reaching a certain cpu speed. What was set to achieve the 4GHz? What was used to test if the newly changed settings were stable? Was this system ever run without an oc? Have you tested the difference between the stock performance and the oc'd performance gains to see if the oc is actually worth the effort?

9. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    Disclaimer: Did not read a word of your post (but will) - I have been dealing with same thing Intel Xeon X3230 + ASUS 2GB OC 7790 always latest driver to the hour practically lol + latest Vegas Pro. Other lesser machines with onchip video don't have any issues with same precise exact software environment (as much as possible, besides drivers for specific hardware.) I am 99.5% sure I narrowed it down to 3rd party plug-ins causing it. Specifically, I noticed that when I do not add any Sapphire plug-ins, the render never has any issues. I say "never" and 99.5% sure because it is what I think and can actually be wrong since this is partially based on memory too. Testing will go on as days to come.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Frankly, I would just scale down the OC. You don't have to use stock, just take it down a notch - maybe 3.9 or 3.8 GHz.

11. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    Ok, I am curious. When you say "freezing" do you mean the whole machine or just the application? In my case, it is only the actual render/application that freezes. It just literally stops making frames at all.

12. JediRyan

JediRyan Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
    My entire computer

13. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    The first obvious thing to check then is to compare CPU-Z's SPD tab to the Memory tab, for all modules. If current running specs are not shown or part of a profile, make it so. Also, if you are using any mismatched memory, no matter what settings show, then alleviate that (remove offending module(s).)

14. JediRyan

JediRyan Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
    So I just checked CPU-Z and was surprised to see that the numbers are not correct, so maybe that is the cause. I recently upgraded from 32gbs to 64gbs and at first I was getting BSOD because I was trying to run the RAM at 3200mhz, I later found out that if you use 64gbs in Threadripper you need to drop the speed down to 2933mhz. After doing that I stopped getting BSOD so I thought all was good. It seems that when I changed the speed it changed the timings. When I had 32gbs of RAM I ran it at 3200mhz with timings of 14-14-14-34 and cache latency of 14 at 1.35v. I got the EXACT same kit and tested it with memtest so I know the RAM itself is not the problem.

This is the link for the kit: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232488

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. tarot

tarot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    http://www.bluetarot.com/hardware/hdwrerev/cpurev/amd-threadripper-1950x-review/

without knowing more like what ram speeds etc makes it a little hard to figure out...troll through my little review see if anything strikes you like ram speed what slots the ram is in what psu you have how you overclock just straight up multi or p states(my preferred way)
    but just looking I would be aiming at the ram setup myself. or a psu that is not quite getting there.
    scratch that just read your last post.
    ok for the ram yes 2933 or 2666 at 2666 14 etc should be fine but you amy need to adjust a few more settings like geardown etc.
    yours should be similar in spec to my flare x but I only have 4 sticks so not trashing the imc like you will be, this will also impact the overclock good luck.

16. JediRyan

JediRyan Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
    I'm a novice OC'er so I have no idea what "geardown" and other settings I should be changing. I'll take a look at your review, but if you could be more specific that would be very helpful.

17. JediRyan

JediRyan Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
  18. JediRyan

JediRyan Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
    I purchased the EXACT same kit: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232488 I have also tested it with memtest86 so I know that the RAM itself is not the issue.

19. tarot

tarot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Vega 64
    sort of depends on what board you are using.
    some boards have LLC settings to sort of even out the power for the cpu, lower settings mean if you give it 1.3 volts then it will generally go lower than that and cause an overclock to fail higher settings will give a closer result for power and higher still will give it more power likem1.4 volts which can be equally as bad.
    other boards like asus have these stupid performance presets if you have that sort of board and it gives the option of performance bias or something like that turn it off or set it to leave me alone you nosey bastard :) as that can definitely screw things up.

So what motherboard are we talking or did I miss that bit.

20. JediRyan

JediRyan Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080ti
    I have an ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme. I recently set the LLC to Level 6 per someone's suggestion and it has got me stable in CINEBENCH but I'm still failing OCCT, AIDA64 and y-cruncher. This makes me think it's a memory issue but I'm not sure.