Threadripper 1950x build

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Romo, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Romo

Romo Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    Hi guys!
    I plan to build a new PC around a 1950x CPU and I would appreciate if you could suggest the rest of components for my new build.
    It will mostly be used for 3DS MAX modeling, rendering and casual Battlefield gaming.
    After years with Intel it feels great coming back to AMD!

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    It should be similar to any other PC build, except for the board and RAM. You'll obviously want go for quad-channel so get the appropriate kit, and there are a number of board choices to consider (basically comes down to preference, really). FYI, I have the MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon and 32 GB of 3200 MHz G.SKILL TridentZ RGB memory (4 x 8 GB) for my 1950X build. I also use a Samsung 960 Evo NVMe SSD for my boot drive and a 1200W PSU. For cooling, I use a custom loop with a EK Supremacy Evo Threadripper edition.

Romo likes this.
  3. Romo

Romo Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    Thanks for answering!
    Do you think ROG Zenith extreme is worth the cost difference compared to your motherboard?
    I´m asking because these two boards are the only two I would go for.
    Would a 850W PSU be OK with that setup with GF 1080ti?

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Radeon RX 580
    I'm not really sure if it's worth the price premium; depends on what you need, I guess. Reviews of both boards should be on the site so check them both out, but I personally would not pay the premium for it (FYI, my system is for computing purposes). A 850W PSU should be fine.

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I have a fairly similar build to D3M1 but I'm using an ASRock Fatl1ty X399 and 3600 MHz TridentZ (that I'm only running at 3066 MHz). If I were you I'd do my research on the CPU cooling and making sure your rads fit in your choice of case the way you want and with enough clearance.

6. Romo

Romo Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    I was thinking about something like Corsair H100. Currently I have H100i cooling my delidded i5 @ 4,8 Ghz with no problems since 2013.
    Setup would be placed in my current case, Corsair Obsidian 800D.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I am actually using the H100i v2 to cool mine because it's the only thing I could get quickly that would fit in my case at the top (Corsair Crystal 570X) and my suggestion... if you can get something a little better I would. I purchased the Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 Premium and couldn't use it because it would not fit at the top of my case and I didn't want to put it in the front. Cooling is a bit of an issue for me with the H100i v2 when overlocking my 1950X. Now I'm saving that TT Floe for my daughter's i7 8700K I'm planning to build.

8. X7007

X7007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 1080GTX
    I ordered
    Amd 1950x
    Gigabyte Auros 7 x399
    Gskil FlareX 2x16 x2 - 32 Gb total 4 sticks for quad channel.
    Corsair H115i

Still deciding between CC-9011035-WW - Obsidian Series® 750D Full Tower ATX Case or Fractal Define XL R2

Would you say it's good ?

All the rest I'm taking for my old system like

ThermalTake ToughPower 850 Watt
    Inno3D 1080 GTX