Thread_stuck_in_device_driver Blue Screen r9 390

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by zbtr, Dec 20, 2015.

1. zbtr

zbtr New Member

GPU:
    R9 390 Niteo
    ***304; jut build a new pc whenever i try to install amd driver i get this blue screen error. ***304; treid win 10 and 8.1 with catalyst and crimson still same. Bios is updated.

2. shankly1985

shankly1985 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    I had this while back turned out to be fault Motherboard PCIe slot.

3. zbtr

zbtr New Member

GPU:
    R9 390 Niteo
    Should i try different slot?

4. shankly1985

shankly1985 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    That would be worth a shot yes..

5. zbtr

zbtr New Member

GPU:
    R9 390 Niteo
    Did it but same.

6. shankly1985

shankly1985 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Mmmm Am not sure then sorry, because when I had this I ended up getting a new Motherboard and CPU changed.. Once new Motherboard and CPU came I didn't have the problem again.

7. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    Someone else in another thread has this, and I have literally never seen it before. (That is saying lots.)

Maybe it is some kind of advanced malware. You're welcome to post the crash dumps to see what may be going on and/or similar to the other thread.

Suggest using Killdisk on the drive before new Windows install attempt, if you decide to go that route.

8. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X @4096SP
    I am currently getting that bug check when I resume my computer from sleep. I had to disable sleep mode. I did not test with previous drivers yet.

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    My monitor wakes up fine, but my computer doesn't. I'm not sure if it's the motherboard or the GPU driver.

10. manoliti

manoliti New Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7770Ghz
    I had the same issue when i bought an R9 390 and i didn´t found any way to fix the error i reinstalled windows 10, clean my AMD drivers installation and nothing worked.
    It seems it´s a recent bug that happens since windows 8.

11. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X @4096SP
    I'm pretty sure it's the GPU driver. I don't recall seeing these issues with the old beta. In my case my monitor won't wake up.

I have a XL2420T monitor connected via DisplayPort cable. My graphics card has no DVI port (not willing to try out via bundled adaptor) and did not try HDMI.

12. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 8GB
  13. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X @4096SP
    Unfortunately this isn't the case. I am using high performance power plan which PCI Express power management is turned off by default and still BSOD's.

Reverting to a previous Catalyst (15.7.1) makes you run into an endless loop of your OS (Windows 10 Pro 64bit) booting and 10 seconds later it crashes.

1) DO NOT INSTALL 15.7.1 on Windows 10 TH2.

2) It looks like Microsoft changed something with their new Threshold update (I am running build 10586.36) and AMD slacked off while testing the driver. The bugcheck reason is THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER, caused by dxgkrnl.sys. It looks like the device driver (atikmdag.sys) does not play well with Direct X's kernel driver.

3) I can only conclude that WHQL drivers are a meaningless thing. You just pay to have Microsoft sign off your device driver. The driver is broken with S3 state across the board, with different hardware configurations and operating systems.

14. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    AHPD: Fwiw, a few years ago, I too suffered the monitors not being able to wake up.

Turns out that one day after deleting AMD External Events service (now Utility it is called) without issue for years, I decided to leave it alone to test. That fixed the issue for me and I have left it enabled ever since, without issue.

AMD changed something around that time. Seems strange and all still to this day to me, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. heh heh