THQ Nordic aquire rights to Kingdoms of Amalur

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  2. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Neat, I actually liked that game. I'm gonna go replay it, I almost forgot it existed

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I started it, played for like 10 hours, then just... stopped :p

tsunami231 likes this.
  4. Yes!! THQ Nordic ftw....

Stone Gargoyle likes this.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Oh? That's interesting. I enjoyed that game. Sure, it wasn't a revolution in RPGs, but I liked the setting and story. Too bad that it supposedly nearly bankrupted a city. Seeing that THQ Nordic is doing a lot of sequels to old-school games, they could give this one a spin!

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    [​IMG]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/kingdoms-of-amalur-re-reckoning/9nvcnm9dq839

Neat although only the last bit there is part of this updated version far as I can tell.

Not sure about balance changes but I hope some of the quest bugs and other issues are worked out alongside fancifying the graphics. :D

Duke Nil and emperorsfist like this.
  7. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    So I assume it's going to be a standalone updated version? And probably not available on Origin?

I already own the original, on Origin. In some cases when a remastered version of a game comes out they provide the remastered version as an update for free for owners of the original copy. Such as was the case for the Borderlands updates to the first and second games on Steam, or with both Darksiders 1 & 2, or Red Faction Guerilla; which I've benefited from before. Now I wonder if they'll do that stuff for the owners of the original on Origin, but I doubt it. It might have been a decent reason to go back to that game for me, maybe. If they do update it for free then I'll give it a go since I never finished it (did play it for a couple of hours but never went back, although it's really not a bad game at all). However, I have zero incentive to re-pay for just a graphics update, the original still looks decent enough to this day.

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    I don't think this will be on Origin at all.
    Let's see Rhode Island got the rights back after the closure of the original studio and that whole legal settlement.
    EA owned the rights of this first game but sold the franchise to THQ Nordic.

Who I assume have now worked out a deal with EA or assumed full ownership and are releasing this new edition of the game likely on PS4, XBox One and PC though being THQ it could end up just about anywhere on the PC platform so we'll see if it hits Steam, Epic, Windows Store or a bit of all of them.

Also follows THQ naming traditions what with ReMarstered for Red Faction, Deathinitive for Darksiders and Rehydrated for Spongebob. :D
    Well I suppose Re- isn't quite up there with Definitive and Mastered but there's not much to work with for the original title I suppose and trying to spin it into something more creative.
    (The What the Fate edition....yeah no.)

EDIT: Possibly also the Switch, game itself shouldn't be a issue for the platform just working with porting it over and getting the engine to play nice without problems but that goes for all platforms.
    (With more variable results both on PC and console unfortunately.)

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    This is positive news. The game went through a lot of problems, but the final product was solid. The issues like low FOV and the odd hitching in combat really should be addressed in this remaster, since they were a turnoff for a lot of people.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    as long as games look like these world of warcraft type of graphics i wont play them.
    [​IMG]

cerebus23 and CPC_RedDawn like this.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    I actually liked the graphics/art style on this game, it reminded me a little of WoW meets Fable. It was originally meant to be an MMORPG but the scale of an MMORPG was too high and it became just a RPG, with limited time and money left over they reused the graphics and art they had already made.

Go watch the documentary on this game, its a good watch and quite shocking that it nearly bankrupted a city.

Duke Nil likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse

September 8th 2020
    Fatesworn expansion in 2021

EDIT: That's some expansion alright.
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/ki...and-xbox-one-september-8th-2020.243052/page-3

It's 10$ but yeah expansion with up to somewhere around five extra hours of content and some half a year ("up to") before it's out?

Either that or poor wording or it's completely accurate in what to expect, hmm.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020