Thousands threaten to quit Netflix.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by PhazeDelta1, Jul 13, 2011.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i new this would come sooner or later.

source:
    http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/07/12/7069809-thousands-threaten-to-quit-netflix?gt1=43001

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Well.... for one, they did change the DVD rental plan, since so far it's been one out at a time, and a limited number per month. Now it'll be an unlimited number per month.

I also don't imagine thousands of people making an impact.

To be completely honest, i'd much rather see them provide more for the price you're paying. There are two main reasons i use Blockbuster Online for my movie rentals:

1) Blockbuster gets the movies the day their released, rather than "28 days later"

2) Netflix's streaming movie service is severely lacking IMHO.

I know that's a lot to ask for a service that charges only $8/mo... but it's not all THAT much to ask when all you ever see Netflix touting in TV commercials and hear in radio ads is their streamed content.

3. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Well, since the wife and I rarely get more than 3-4 movies from Netflix per month (the rest is all streaming) I think it's an easy choice for use. I'm not going to line their pockets for them.

4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Well, son of a bitch. I'd rather have the blu-ray rental, but now I can't watch Roseanne in succession.

5. prof72

prof72 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    I'm pretty sure the increase in revenue will more than make up for a few thousand customers they might lose.

6. Little

Little Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 2.1/15.8
    they say that the $2 difference isnt enough to justify the dvd cost. which is utter BS. they pay $0.44 to mail the dvds just like everyone else. they have also stated in the last couple months that it only costs them $0.05 to stream a 2 hour movie. so they are making TONS of profit per person. i highly doubt that anyone watches 160 2 hour movies per month to justify the $8/month for streaming. we have been netflix subscribers for 4 years now with the $9.99 unlimited dvds/streaming and we will be dropping the streaming and going only dvd until we get our queue cleared then will be renting from family video which is $1 rentals on day 1 not 28 days later and then the horrible wait 3 months after that. some titles on our queue has been a "VERY LONG WAIT" for going on 4 months now

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol netflix sucks like usual

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Well, I accepted that Netflix was greedy back in January. But this is just plain rediculous. They brag about their streaming movies, yet it's rare that I find a movie that they actually stream. Seems more times than not, I have to add it to my dvd queue and wait for it to arrive in the mail. I'm tired of paying for overrated services....

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Having a few thousand drop service is NOTHING compared to the bad press they are getting RIGHT NOW!! I have netflix and can't stand to see the limited amount of titles on streaming or that I have to wait 28 days after a new release to even get in line to get the title shipped to me. I will drop my service down from 2 disk to 1 a month because of this as I can't see spending more than I already am for something that I'm hardly getting.

10. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    F*** netflix. end of story, if you use it, you get what you deserve.

11. destroyah3034

destroyah3034 Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD7950 3GB
    I just love how no one has picked up on why this is happening. Research a little, and you will find that this is happening because Hollywood studios want more money. What better way to do this than increase licensing fees against Netflix, which has no choice but to increase fees to their customers, or risk bankruptcy. This same story can be applied to the recent spate of caps on internet service.

This is a move by Hollywood, cable co's, and telcos who would prefer that people buy their own branded crap premium tv services to rake in the money. To fight this, people can go ahead and leave Netflix, but also cut your cable/satelite/telco tv options to show them who is their true boss, their customers.

12. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Good point, greed never comes alone.

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    It's nice that Netflix DOES have a streaming service. The only downside to Blockbuster Online is that even if you're subscribing to their DVD's-by-mail service, you still have to pay for every individual movie you want to stream. Now, i haven't streamed any movies from Blockbuster yet, but it's just a tad odd.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I prefer digital copies...

I dunno about any of the mentioned services, but, personally I like Movieberry. More expensive that those other services, but, once downloaded it's keepers!

p.s. they also offer streaming too, but, I never tried it.

15. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    That isn't true at all. The very basic of the basic plan had a limited number per month but every plan after that was unlimited (such as the plan that the OP describes.)

And even that plan is relatively new, when I signed up 3 years ago every plan was unlimited.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The "unlimited" plans are still limited....If you get 1 at a time, you have a maximum of like 10 movies per month due to mailing back and forth. If you get 3, you have a maximum of like 90 per month. I know, technicality....

Netflix really does need to add more movies to their streaming service if they're going to charge $8/month for it. Currently, they don't have enough of a selection for their streaming service to justify charging for it....

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Until Netflix will compensate for the bandwidth I will use to use their service, I'm not going to even bother. It's too pricey to use Netflix in Canada. $8/month + bandwidth overage charges by my ISP? That's just too much to ask.

deltatux

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You can actually find movies to stream????

19. JPennStar

JPennStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Thanks for the post... I went to my account and read the details and yeah they are raising the price. So I saved myself some summer theather money and cancelled my account before the rate went up.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Yes indeed this are Bad news , i am going to cancel my NetFlix subscription asap too , I just read it and its true , bye bye NetFlix greedy co.