Thoughts or suggestions on new build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Angantyr, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Heya everyone

Not too long ago (well, a year) I made the following thread; https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/feedback-on-upgrades-or-new-build-entirely.406265/ Which resulted in some modest upgrades: GPU / RAM / Monitor & SSD.

And I'm hoping feedback in this thread, could help me with some of the things causing me doubt this time around. My aim with this upgrade is to have a gaming rig that can be considered enthusiast level (Or at least a noticeable performance upgrade). And if it helps as a guideline, my budget is just about 10.000 Danish Kr. (1.600 US Dollar / 1.350 Euro).

So for the last few days I've been reading up on various benchmarks and reviews, and from it, I've considered the following:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero ( Guru3d Review )
    CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K <- The link is a quick comparison to my current CPU
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S
    [​IMG]

I've yet to find which RAM would be the best to this combo, so any suggestions would be appreciated. But ye, could this be seen as a proper upgrade to my current hardware setup or would it just be a sidegrade to my current setup? Are my choices silly and would something else be better?

Should be mentioned that I'm still using Windows 7, and I've seen some conflicting information if this would even support the OS. But if my desire for a hardware upgrade is hamstrung by an aging OS, I guess I'll have to start using W10.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Well I think it is a performance upgrade, although it's debatable if you should go for an Intel or AMD setup this time around.
    AMD's Ryzen CPUs are pretty good for the money, and you don't miss out on that much performance tbh. Did you consider Ryzen, or do you want to stick to Intel because of the higher in game performance?

The CPU cooler to me personally is a good choice, but then again I'm a sucker for Noctua, and I won't ever use another air cooler besides the NH-D15 I bought two years go (they will support future platforms also if you show them proof of purchase and let them send you the right socket brackets for instance).

Your 980Ti should be doing pretty fine as long as you're still at 1080p with that monitor you bought.

As for the RAM, I don't think you can do much wrong. Gskill usually are prett good, as well as Corsair (my personal experience). Just get yourself a dual channel kit. It helps to check on the vendor's list of that mainboard and RAM, but usually you should be fine with whatever you choose. In terms of how hight those RAM are supposed to clock, I guess you'll be fine with 3000Mhz (I myself am driving 2133 and they're still faster than my old DDR3). Also comes down to the budget. Gskill Ripjaws should do a decent job.

For the mainboard, do you really need the Maximus Hero? I'm fairly sure there'd be other boards offering about the same tech and costing a little less, except you are looking for something specific there (how many SATA ports / PCIe slots do you need?).
    Also, do you need WLAN onboard, are you using LAN? Do you plan to overclock?

The deal with win7 is that it won't get any driver updates for newer hardware iirc, but that also applies to win10 (driving old hardware on win10 might be troublesome later on). I think you'll be fine for now, but sometime down the road we all have to arrange ourselves with win10 I'm afraid. Might as well try to dual install and see for yourself it if really is that horrible. If you can, grab the LTSB version; it's naked and not really that useful for anything but using the basic OS (no picture viewer for instance), but easily lets you set your preferences.

3. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Oh goodness, that was a large response.
    1. I did consider Ryzen, at least for a while. But I can't say that I prefer AMD over Intel, I've used both of them over the years. I just simply settled on the I7-7700k due to its current price here in DK (430 USD / 360 Euro) and that I've been able to find plenty of positive benchmarks on the games that I do play or want to play.
    2. Appreciate the approval on the CPU Cooler - And yep, I plan on keeping my current monitor and 980Ti.
    3. Regarding the motherboard; I probably don't need the Maximus Hero, it might even come with a lot of "bloatware" and features that I'll never come to make use of. As you mention yourself, I can't imagine a scenario where I'll be making use of WirelessLAN onbard, nor do I plan on overclocking. So, with that in mind I've looked at the other models and think this would be better suited: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO
    4. Any thoughts on the RAM choice? : Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You should wait for coffee lake if you want intel, it's right around the corner.

5. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Its probably a falsehood, but it feels like there is always new hardware just around the corner. In any case, I don't mind being a generation behind, at least that'll save me some money.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    That has been easy to say for years with Intel's utter lack of interest in performance development, but shortly when Coffee Lake appears, your "new" Kaby Lake i7 will be competing mainly with the Coffee Lake i3. There's quite a big difference between 4 and 6 physical cores. I'd take a 6-core i5 over a 4-core i7 any day, regardless of any HT.

7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Intel didn't do any major upgrade of its CPUs for years. Coffee lake is actually worth waiting cause its forced to compete vs Ryzen on multicore scale / price. And there nothing for a loooong time after Coffee Lake release.

Getting 4 cores in 2017 for a full price is actually weird. You might enjoy it now, but in 2-3 years cores count gonna be more and more viable.

Intel probably gonna annihilate Kaby Lake with Coffee Lake release. The only screwup Intel can do is worsen IPC, in which case might actually make Kaby Lake still viable for gaming.

8. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Oh, guess I'll take the patient route, at least till Christmas. Hopefully more information about coffee lake will be out by then, like a solid release schedule.

9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Internet is not agreeing on release date yet. Some mention September as earliest.

However considering Intel will release laptop CPU's first and announced to release desktop before Holiday season, I'd expect around November.

10. Autarch20

Autarch20 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX FE 1080
    i would wait for coffee lake.. i will be going for Coffee lake as soon as possible... Team red has been tempting me to get ryzen.. but im not giving in, because i think id be selling myself short.
    tbh im sick of my 6700 non k proc.and an upgrade to 7700K might be a wise idea for me. but even then i probably wont be happy with it.. (6700 to a 7700k is really a smallish jump. i feel the same about what sverek said.. paying primo for 4 fkn cores in 2017 makes me want to puke.... my 4690k was a wayyy better processor... from a lot of different standpoints when it was released....i mean i was running 4.2 stable on my 4690k. (my 6700 only goes to 3.8) lol

im scared to try and OC my 6700 (because A. i dont even think its even slightly possible) and B. i just dont trust a non K proc with any freq. beyond what it was made for.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I wouldnt upgrade to a 7700k.
    6700 non K some motherboards allow you to set all core turbo for the highest turbo speeds.

So basically you can run it at 4ghz full load, which isn't bad.

But you should wait for coffee lake if you have to upgrade.