Thoughts on Ultrawide Monitors?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by robtorbay, Apr 25, 2015.

1. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Well I picked up a 29" ultrawide because I was sick of the 2 screen setup and I am not sure what to think.

What are your thoughts guys?

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Anything other than 16:9 i find to be far to much effort when it comes to game compatibility.

Then again, i am getting tired of the box that is 16:9 even for just productivity in general and In-game fov sliders only achieve so much before the fish bowl effect kicks in.

Have fun with your new monitor. Care to share some pics of your setup?

3. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    That was what got me looking at the ultrawide, I was sick of running a ton of displays for work and then when I was gaming I was sick of seeing splits.

Here is a pic of my setup lol, I did not realize how many cords I had hid away :S

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132708028@N06/17056598297/

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Nice setup. :)

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That IS nice. Yeah im finding 16:9 to be too claustrophobic these days and i tend to hook up a second monitor when doing homework.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I've grown fond of ultrawides, I'm definitely picking one up in the future. I'm basically waiting for a good 3440 x 1440 IPS with Freesync/G-Sync that can do 120hz.

7. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Thanks CronoGraal. If your finding yourself in that situation then I would def suggest testing one out. The one I have is the same as 2 17" screens stacked next to each other. I love it for work as well as play!

8. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    For FPS gaming they look amazing, but the sheer horizontal travel edge to edge concerns me a little. I'm sure there must be instances when moving the mouse to icons etc in the corner where you feel you are having to track over a long distance?

9. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Nada, its weird but it feels natural to me. I cant speak for larger screens like the 34" + screens, but when you look at the 29" it doesn't feel as wide as you think it would. That being said I also have a 12,000 DPI mouse so it travels very fast across the screen. That does help a lot.

10. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    I just bought a Dell 34 inch widescreen 3440X1440 curved Monitor and added a second Evga gtx 970 today as well. its pretty awesome. The immersion is intense especailly in BF-4. When I played BF-4 on single card with everything on ultra the performance test was only 30 fps, now in SLI its 90 fps! Couldnt be happier! Get one i got the best price at Amazon! $968 free shipping! Its a $1200 monitor!

11. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I think it´s awesome. So much view space in games.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I've been waiting for some gamer to guinea pig these ultra wide-screen monitors to see how they perform for our needs. I was interested in them last year but there was little info about what was available at the time as far as gaming with one. Any ghosting or frame-rate issues?

I'm curious what you ultra-wide owners think. Are they gaming ready? Last year they seemed like they were for office use. I may buy one this year for my girlfriend if that's changed.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  13. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Gaming is better on ultra wide monitors because you see more, there is no ghosting the display port set up gets you 60 hrz referesh rate mine has a 5ms response time and i notice 0 input lag, and the colors are more vibrant! I say get one just make sure you have a card that runs well at the higher resolutions such as 3440x1440!!!!

14. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Once you game on ultrawide you realize that you havent really gamed before... same can be said for gsync/freesync.

There should basically be two standards... a 5:2 and a 3:2 aspect ratio.
    (That would be an ultrawide and something between 16:10 and 4:3.)

But having a single standard like 16:9 just pisses off everyone... some struggle with a bezelfinity, and some endlessly QQ about the good old days of 16:10 and 4:3.

15. dosinu

dosinu Guest

GPU:
    if you can afford the PC to power those resolutions, go for it, only problem for me is the hertz and response times aren't always up to scratch.

16. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    One gpu won't be able to take the hit for such big resolutions. With UWide comes the need for a second high end gpu..keep that in mind you all.

17. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    A gtx 980 can handle those resolutions by its self but its just better with 2 cards! My 970 struggled in bf4 at 3440x1440 but when i added a second one it manhandles ultra settings! And i notice no ghosting or input lag!

18. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I have the LG 34" 21.9 curved monitor and in my opinion,if you're a gamer make sure you get the 34". The 29" is much too narrow in the vertical view area. Mine is great for gaming. No bleeding at all when gaming. Even in very dark areas. That said,the picture quality is not as sharp or as crisp as my Dell 30". The difference is minimal,but there IS a difference. My next wide screen will be 4K. I just hope it will equal the sharp, clear and crisp picture my Dell has. For now though,I can't complain. Picture quality is good enough with the LG. I imagine the Dell will be every bit as nice as LG. Maybe even better. Wide screen is the way to go for gaming.

19. Pepi

Pepi Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980 acx 2.0 sli ekwc
    Hi. I was looking at lg 34u87 for 680€ used from february 2015. Looks like new and no dead pixels. Good deal?

20. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    How much is that in Canadian? I paid 1300.00 cdn for my LG.