thoughts on my 8700K results on air

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by superpoeper, Nov 6, 2017.

1. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    since not one soul is willing to share any thoughts/insights over in the die-hard oveclocking segment of this forum i will give it a go over here...

I need your thoughts/insights on my new upgrade/build and overclock:
    Are my core voltage and temperature results "NORMAL"?
    or do I have a so called "bad binned" processor?

https://imgur.com/ZJlW56X

My setup in short: Thermaltake Core P9 with a bit more than average airflow...
    (3x20cm coolermaster Megaflow fans + 5x12cm fan be quiet silent wings 3 + 2x14cm fan be quiet silent wings 3 + Noctua NH-D15 with both fans. I do know it is overkill... I however re-used all fans from previous builds apart from my new Noctua cooler. All fans run at full speed and the Be Quiet silent wings 3 are of the non high speed variety)

The CPU And GPU both idle around 27-30°C and room temperature is somewhere around 20°C

Any thoughts/Tips...?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    You could try to run Prime without FMA3 (it's totally over the top). Temperatures look pretty normal to me.

With air, try Prime custom with only 8k to check maximum temperatures. Close to 100°C would tell you the highest setting you could (or should) try. You can check your vcore with the custom 1344k setting.

When you compare your processor's setting to someone else's, keep in mind that there's a vast amount of options that can make a huge difference there.
    It starts with obvious things like a better chip or better cooling, de-lidding makes a large difference also. But even things like a fixed voltage can make a CPU look better than another that's running on a dynamic voltage.
    Add AVX offset and different tests to that and you end up with something like 1.2V instead of 1.3V easily.

3. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 4G Gaming @1500
    can you share screenshoot of bios oc settings you have maximus x board also screen shoot of voltage inside any game when adaptive is working
    i cant get my adataptive to work its always getting 1.5V at desktop rma board?

4. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    i set my ram timings first (only the first set of values the rest was left on auto)
    i also disabled some led crap settings (i dislike the rgb craze)
    i disabled the qfan settings so that the noctua NH-D15 Fans run at full speed because those two are connected to the motherboard (all my other fans are connected to two fan controllers i had from other builds).
    All other settings are left on auto at the moment.

these are my initial changed settings within the bios:

https://imgur.com/VWDUstL

https://imgur.com/XrYWn1f

https://imgur.com/9TVErra

i then tried this after receiving some feedback:
    I changed these settings:
    svid behavior : best-case scenario
    cpu core/cashe voltage: adaptive mode
    offset mode sign: +
    additional turbo mode cpu core voltage: auto
    offset voltage: 1.250
    cpu load-line calibration: level 7
    IA AC load line: 0.01
    IA DC load line: 0.01

During Prime 95 4th stress test for 30 minutes give or take a minute
    CPUID HWMonitor gave these values:
    VID 1.284 V
    VCORE 1.312 V
    Cpu temp was 86°C for a very short moment and this is 2°C lower then with previous settings (the ones from the screenshots).
    (and it was at the same room temp as during previous test)

I guess i lowered my temps a small bit (2°C Profit) and it is still completely stable...
    i have not had one issue and i have been gaming quite a few hours...

PS:
    In windows look at your power plan settings...
    try the default balanced power plan so it will lover the voltage automatically and CPU speed when idle
    (mine only lowered it's cpu speed and voltage when idle IF and only IF i disabled my bitdefender, asus aura and corsair CUE software)
    bitdefender: antivirus/firewall...
    asus aura: control rgb crap on GPU and motherboard
    corsair CUE software: corsair scimitar RGB settings app (DPI settings, macro's, lights...)

only 100% workloads like video re-encoding made the CPU go above 75°C after 45+ minutes of re-encoding some stuff.
    (i made the software use only 9 of the 12 threads and temps stayed below 70°C which is ideal in my book...)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

5. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    Running Assassin creed on the 8700k @4.7ghz all cores on the Notuca NH-D15 in pull config,i get around 70-75c max heat, with an average for 66-70c

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 TI
    I haven't checked temperatures in games but every stress test is really hard on the cooling setup. Even de-lidded, with liquid metal instead of the regular TIM, I can't run Prime with AVX enabled at 5GHz. Temperatures are just too high & cores step out right away. Might work out on a benchtable with a really good chip, but not within a case and a regular one.
    Without AVX though, it works like a charm :) I think I already sold my best chip but I'm still happy that I can play my games at 5GHz now.