This is why i believe in clean uninstall with new drivers! - DriverSweeper , CCleaner

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    i use ccleaner only, and reboot untill theres no remnants found

also fixes those different version numbers in modules

2. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    I used to just install over the top on every updated driver, only using a cleaner if I reverted back to a previous driver, and never had a problem. Something has changed with the new drivers and the latest installer, I updated over the 260.93 and started getting lock ups and crashes to desktop issues. Did a clean install of the 260.99's with the latest Driver sweeper and all the issues are gone?

I think the installer is still a little green, maby it will get the attention it needs soon. Until then I'm going to stick with Driver sweeper in safe mode.

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    I always thought the R was meant for rollback purposes, and totally normal if you install over the previous drivers.

4. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    But the previous drivers were 261's not the 260's :)

5. pooprscooper

pooprscooper Member

GPU:
    2X MSI 6950TFIII Unlocked
    I don't think running DriverSweeper when not in safe mode does anything additional for you. Once in safe mode should be enough.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i don't even bother to uninstall anymore. i just install the new driver and f** it. never had a single issue.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Seriously how many of these ******* driver installation threads do we need?

Seems like nearly every time I log in there's a new debate over the best way to update drivers....:rolleyes:

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The 262 drivers were released for the GTX580 ONLY and have no official support for any other card. Why are you complaining about your own stupidity?

You have that problem too?

I get tired of the "try these quadro drivers" or "try these dev drivers" threads, that are almost immediately followed by the "driver problems" threads that in most cases are directly related to some idiot installing an incompatible driver using a "modded inf"... Kinda like this idiot did.....decided to install a driver intended ONLY for the GTX580....then complains about problems...

9. arrrdawg

arrrdawg Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460m
    This is what happens when you used a modified INF for a driver that isn't intended for your platform

Have you ever looked at the .inf file? It is a giant script with a lot of variables and I don't trust a sole on the interwebz to edit this properly no matter how much success somebody says that they have. Unless you want to break something. Some people say "just add your hardware ID to the XXX section of XXX.inf and install" and have absolutely no clue that there is much more to it than that.

The issue here has nothing to do with cleaning the driver. The .inf file actually has specific instructions on what to remove to clean the driver and since this one was not made for the card in question, that is the reason why it wasn't removed. Don't believe it, then do a diff on the .inf registry entries. Lots 'o changes. Only use drivers meant for your video card. Unless you are on a laptop, then you can try and take that risk but again only if you have an actual issue.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I stopped using driver cleaners years ago. I even did a test with a file/registry monitoring app to see exactly what gets left over from previous drivers, files, reg entries, etc. What was left over was a couple of empty reg keys that were common to other drivers and an inconsequential file or 2. Nvidia pays attention to drivers fortunately. And they would never allow an improper driver uninstall to unwittingly give ATI the edge in a review. Whatever the driver sweeper/cleaner dudes do is not beyond Nvidia to do. Its incredibly simple to remove old driver/reg entries. Even amateurs can write driver cleaners with basic batch files, its that simple. To assume that Nvidia is so dumb as to allow left over drivers to screw up the performance of new ones after many years and hundreds of drivers in an extremely competitive market where they endeavor by hook or by crook to squeeze out every FPS advantage by any means possible, is just unlikely imo. This is not to say that some unforeseen glitches may happen that may be related to other variables not directly related to the drivers themselves. I never seen leftover versions in the driver panel as the OP states and will continue to use Nvidias uninstaller.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Using DriverSweeper and CCleaner for years never had any problems.

12. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    The 262.99's only support the 580 don't they?

Thats the reason they didn't install, they were doing exactly as they should?

Driversweepers are pointless, the files it deletes are still on your harddrive, they are just flagged as ok to overwrite to the OS so there's MORE chance of overwriting old driver files as installing over the top keeps the old files intact.

13. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    F*ck off , the GTX 580 drivers work fine

The previous drivers were the 261's , the driver's left over were the 260's!. So i've probably installed the 261's english while 260 international was left on my system. I've never had a problem before with modified infs , never with quadros' or developer drivers!. This according to others is an english / international problem !

ffs there are some right pricks on this forum :bang: , it was my mistake and driversweeper cleaned it all up. Atleast i don't go around insulting people , but i will do now!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  14. heaven's_dragon

heaven's_dragon Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 460 1gb
    i only use driver sweeper when have problems otherwise uninstall old and install new drivers method

15. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    You are complaining that modded drivers didn't work right though? It is a bit daft don't you think?

How can Nvidia accommodate users who want to modify their code?

16. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Sigh , i'm not complaining about modded drivers i'm talking about drivers in general... as people have said " international files " have been left over. Because i must've installed a different driver language set instead of what what i always do!.

I've always installed modded drivers , developer drivers , beta drivers and never had a problem before because i always ran driver sweeper/ccleaner!.

I posted this to help others instead i get **** from other members , this is one reason why i don't stick around on forums very long because people can't learn to be polite.

17. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    I've requested the thread to be deleted , i cannot be bothered to do deal with children on this forum. Because of this very thread i was able to find out about sticking with a certain driver language set and not to use a different one. English only for my end!

Some people in this thread are understanding and respectful but others need to find the nearest cliff and jump off :bang:

18. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
  19. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

Well there must be some dumb people working over at nvidia because if I check the perform clean install option in the installer,it removes my realtek sound drivers too.It has done that 3 times now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.