This is what the Radeon RX 6000 looks like

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 15, 2020 at 8:26 AM.

1. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Looks similar to the old dual-GPU AMD Radeon HD 7990 I had back in 2013... you don't know what power draw is until you have one of those in an old PC - thing could take 500W alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fediuld likes this.
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Aside from the fact that both AMD and nVidia don't support any new games with SLI/Crossfire, AMD GPUs haven't required a dedicated connector since the RX-480 because of using the PCI bus itself to bridge the cards! Before I bought my 5700XT I ran an RX-480/RX-590 X-fire system--and in the drivers that supported X-fire games the X-fire games ran great. IMO--much superior to a connector/bridge. My 5700XT is a good deal faster than the X-fire cards were running in X-Fire mode.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    It uses the fan because it's a lousy chipset chip. It also wouldn't need the fan if it was placed in an intelligent location on the mobo, allowing a decent heat sink, not right under the video card placed in the topmost x16 slot. Perhaps that's the maximum length for the PCB traces, who knows. It's lousy because AMD couldn't get anyone to make a proper one. Not necessarily such a huge surprise considering even the unlimited-budget-works Intel had to postpone PCIe 4.0 by a generation because of problems.

4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, the only people who say the blower fan was horrible and so on are people listening to other people who don't own the card, and who think they're smarter than the AMD GPU engineers, etc. I've had the 50th Ann Ed 5700XT for over a year now, and I don't hear the fan, even after hours of gaming, unless I go into the drivers and turn up the RPMs way above 50%....It's just like the superstitious nonsense rumors put out about the chipset fans--I have never heard mine--either!

That said, AMD said months ago that they would be doing no more reference designs--that the AIB's would be handling it from now on. As to whether that is still the case, I don't know. Ve shall see..! AMD is set to close out 2020 with a bang!

5. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Since the mighty R9 290X back in 2013 AMD doesn't use bridge not RX 480 :)

6. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    I have a 5700XT AE also since release. :D

Indeed with stock fan settings is very quiet and cool even when it ramps to max default setting speed, can only hear the shoft woosh of hot air and not the fan. The GTX 1080Ti Xtreme with the 3 fan solution was louder. Same applies to GTX1080 Armor (2 fans) and a 3 fan Gigabyte GTX780Ghz. All of them were loud for AIB cards.

I had the the EK kit to watercool it since August last year, thinking it would be loud like the Vega 64 or 290X reference blowers, but no to my surprise. And was feeling that wasted all that money tbh until I decided to watercool it for the sake of it two months ago..

I would keep the card until next year when 7000 series comes out. This year I find pointless any upgrade considering how drastic RDNA3 is in 2021 with MCM and IF3 is next year.

Assuming AMD doesn't pull the rumoured IF2 - RDNA2 link this year and put ROCm support on the RDNA2 only. (using an RVII for ML stuff because RDNA not supported yet)

7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I have seen this card from Buildzoid's video and it is indeed an improvement over the Radeon VII cooler in terms of air flow. Very interesting that AMD decided to go with frame style fans and rings around them which is for high RPM fans.
    Radeon cards haven't needed a crossfire bridge since like the HD 7xxx series. AMD had some kind of technology that got rid of needing a bridge starting with the r9 290 and 290X cards. Also Crossfire like SLI is pretty much dead.

Fediuld and tunejunky like this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    Xfire is through PCIE

Fediuld likes this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Master Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    WRONG.
    Very Wrong
    AMD Does make their own Radeon GPU's AND custom Silicon Like PS5 and XBox X

Fediuld and alanm like this.
  10. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Red Devil
    The card looks awesome and the cooling looks on point. I just can't see AMD going past the performance of the RTX3080. Unless the push 400W plus through the card then yes it will happen. I do however see them being very competitive against the RTX3070

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Now that AMD know the specs and power draw of Ampere I guess all they are doing right now is optimizing clocks vs power draw to match or better Ampere in some way. Have feeling they timed RDNA2 release to be after Ampere precisely to be able to do this.

holeindalip likes this.
  12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    If its competitive against 3070 it will be great success , its main bracket , this is where the money is. Just look how many 1060 GTX there is :D

13. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    All black design.

1.PNG
    This is probably a lower tiered card.
    Capture.PNG

Embra, Undying, chispy and 3 others like this.
  15. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Why so? We do not know how much actually fast the 3080 is, however we know how many CUs the AMD needs to have to come close if not beat it.
    To beat the 3070/2080Ti would need around 52-54CUs as many found in the Xbox X series, without counting the RDNA2 improvements, just RDNA1.

So a 64CU RDNA1 GPU would be 60% faster than 5700XT and 30% faster than the 2080Ti where the 3080 sits atm. The chip also will be tiny around 360mm2 compared to the almost double size 3080.

If AMD goes to 72 or 80CU GPUs it would be hitting 3090 territory but doubt is cost effective considering something as big as the Ampere quaddro has 14-15% yield at TSMC N7 process.

Saying that we know from the Linux drivers for the Navi 2x and CDNA both have MCM links.
    I wouldn't be surprised if AMD pulls a IF2 linking of 2 dies on same card one a year earlier.
    (We know this is coming with RDNA3 and what ever Nvidia names their next gen).

That means AMD could even pull 2x54CU or even 2x40 dies together and glue them with Infinity Fabric 2 where the system handles is like a single die. Dirty cheap to make and monster card.

Note. Don't confuse MCM linking with Crossfire. Different thing.

We know PCIe MCM linking comes with IF3, RDNA3 and Zen4 next year. With the idea AMD would transform a full AMD PC subsystem to a big APU. As the design shows that VRAM & DDR5 RAM is shared between all components and so it the compute power.

itpro likes this.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    NVidia is a chip design company. They don't actually make anything....

AMD's reference cards are actually made by Sapphire.... Have been for many, many years....

AMD doesn't actually make anything. They're a chip design company, just like NVidia. Intel and Samsung are the only companies that design and manufacturer their own processors (CPU/GPU).

Fediuld likes this.
  17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Which active cooler? :p

Fediuld likes this.
  18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Come on, tell me this dual fan doesn't look like the RTX 2080 FE :eek: